San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
nearby destinations  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2016 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ouroe1

Mana: 
I'm looking for towns/islands/destinations either on Baja or the mainland within 1-2 days sail.  Interested in scenery, snorkeling, or just towns with anchorage/moorage to visit towns within reach.  Will be sailing right after New Year's.  Also, any tips on sailing in the Gulf, and reference info.thanks in advance

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2016 11:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
Do you only have 2 days or are you looking for places that are within 2 days sails?

Here is a good guide.
Sea of Cortez A Cruiser's Guidebook
by Shawn Breeding and Heather Bansmer

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2016 02:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ouroe1

Mana: 
I have 7-8 days, and would like to visit several spots, without going as far south as Los Cabos.

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2016 03:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I'm not a sailboater but only having 7-8 days, and being in a sailboat, is tough. Especially since the prevailing winds at this time of year can blow for a few days in a row and not allow you to move. Even only going as far south as Loreto would be a challenge;  never mind Cabo.
I guess my tip on sailing in the Gulf is be prepared for winds to 20 kts (or more) and seas from 4-6 feet at 5 sec intervals. Or at least know when these are predicted and hunker down.
Are you in a daysailer or something bigger? Have you ever sailed down here, in the winter?
I think the only real options are Santa Rosalia and Bahia Concepcion (with a land-based side trip to Mulege, no safe anchorage at Mulege proper). The book above covers these areas well enough. If you got both of those in in seven days, you'd be doing well.
There are no islands with safe anchorages on this side, unless you want to go up by Kino, which I dont recommend. Too far, and the comfortable anchorages (around Isla Tiburon) are too far removed from Kino. Kino is not much, anyway.
There are a couple of protected anchorages on the mainland shore, north of San Carlos, but they have no real attractions to visit while anchored. They are just nice, remote anchorages. One is Ensenada Grande at about 13 miles from Punta Doble and one is Julio Villa at about 26 miles. There are others north of here, but none as well protected if the wind conditions described above, occur.
I guess I am overlooking sailing around to Guaymas and staying in there. A bit of trouble for a town you could drive to in about 20 minutes, IMO. But it has safe anchorages and a marina. 
Suggest you contact the Tucson Sailing Club and talk to some members about doing more than daysailing around here. Some of them must have gone on longer jaunts down here. The wind can be dangerous.

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2016 03:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
That is not a lot of time. If I had to be back at work on the 9th day I would do the places around San Carlo. if you have not see this thread it hit most of the sites. http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/forum4/12696.html

In winter The sea has northern storms that can last 5 or more days but most of the time only 3 days, you would not want to cross the sea in one.

The most south across the sea I could do is Loreto/Puerto Escondido, but there would not be a lot of swimming or site seeing in a trip that far south.

If it was me and I had to sail across the sea, I'd shoot for Bahia Concepcion. I could spend 3 night there in a different spot each night, maybe get a ride into Mulege. I would then start working my way back,
Punta Chivato
Santa Rossalia
Isla San Marcos

I would do night crossings coming and going.

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2016 04:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Yeah, what Steve says. Many sailboaters cross at night, under power. Best chance of calm seas. You would have some moon, during your time period.

You are prepared to snorkel in 60F water, I hope.

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2016 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ouroe1

Mana: 
I'll be in a 36 foot sailboat with diesel engine.

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2016 01:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Yesterday and last night, we are experiencing the thickest, longest-lasting fog I can remember in my nine years here. Very unusual, for these parts.

Posted: Tue Dec 20th, 2016 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Seems like the weather might dictate your agenda. Sometimes you can make a pleasant crossing and then wait a week for decent weather to return. I think the agenda in post #5 would be a good one and interesting but you might get beat up coming or going.

Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Steverhnm

Mana: 
Bahia San Pedro is a good first night stop, easily spend a day or two there relaxing and exploring. Then on up to La Cocina (the kitchens. Be careful of Serimeurto if there is a sea coming in from the south, the waves funnel in, not good in that case. On the way back do a lap around Isla San Pedro. That should take you a week. Otherwise, if the winds are good, up to Santa Rosalia, down to Punta Chivato, then back home. Really recommend you get Shawn and Heather's book. You won't regret it.

Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Just to clarify, Ensenada Grande and Bahia San Pedro are the same bay.

Current time is 08:45 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > nearby destinations Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems