San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Direct flights from Tucson to Guaymas

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
AuthorPost
long time resident

Mana: 
In todays Arizona Sunday paper is a large article on the direct flights that are starting up between  Guaymas and Tucson.  Tucson is buzzing with the news, and commenting that this will open up San Carlos to a healthier real estate market due to the fact that many just do not want to drive there.

RichD

Mana: 
A link

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/san-carlos-hopes-to-be-next-all-inclusive-beach-mecca/article_12a44c1d-d04b-5c04-bf0e-9f7b37d47c61.html

390pony

Mana: 
It's a very positive article, for a change. And, it's on the front page.

ballenamar

Mana: 
Sorry to be such a grump. But anything that will drive up the cost of living for we gringos and the Mexican locals who live here permanently is not good news.

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Sorry to be a cheerleader, but anything that puts more traveler's pesos in the pockets of the local business owners and their employees in a tourist town has got to be good news.
We've been promoting San Carlos as a tourist and retirement destination since 1999. Best news we've heard in years.  Bring 'em on and hope this a roaring success.

Quoting from the article from Tucson.com:
"That’s good news for San Carlos hotel and restaurant owners, Sea of Cortez cruise operators, diving shops and fishing captains, all of whom are eagerly awaiting the influx of new visitors.

We could not agree more....

ballenamar

Mana: 
Bart: You don't live here full time. But many of us do. And many of us live here on fixed retirement income. We are NOT tourists !!! To be charged higher prices just because we are gringos is a big problem for me. A number of us give of our time to work with the Mexican community in many different ways. In my family, we are educators who teach full courses and ask no salary. To be overcharged is offensive to me.

To give you an example, the costs for a veterinarian in Hermosillo are HALF what they are in San Carlos (e.g. Vanessa). And to pay San Carlos restaurant prices (e.g. Blackies, et.al) that are greater than the USA does not garner my sympathy for some parts of the Mexican business community. 

These issues about the high prices of greedy businesses are shared by my Mexican colleagues. My housekeeper and gardener, for example, struggle daily with the local cost of living. So, this is more than just a gringo issue.  

I LOVE the Mexican people and the Mexican culture. That's why I live here. But, I'd be more tolerant of the idea of the push for gringo tourism if  some Mexican businesses would stop gouging we gringos. 

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 01:06 am by ballenamar

frankiej

Mana: 
san carlos has always been a tourist destination! the prices have always been higher here than guaymas or emplame. it is not that far of a drive and the bus runs every 20 min.

johnmoore

Mana: 
Got to disagree Frankie, if this is a tourist destination, it is now a Mex. National destination, and that is great. It has been on the skids for years as a NOB tourist destination. I for one, do not think SC will ever be a tourist destination. Too cold in the winter, too hot and humid in the summer. Therefor one needs another reason to be here. ballenamar states his reasons, and I would join him in those thoughts. Mexican National friends, the culture, the food, opportunities of service, the sea and all it offers, beauty of the area, pretty much in that order, are what my wife and I enjoy about SC and the surrounding area. I think the barometer should Club Med, if that didn't make it......well???

frankiej

Mana: 
san carlos was packed this weekend and during the summer!
not all tourists are from NOB!!
i am an arizona boy! the same thing was said of phoenix, tucson and yes yuma!!

frankiej

Mana: 
club med was a short lived fad of the times!! it was extremely poorly designed!!  the architect probably got his degree in a box of cracker jacks!   it can't be used as an example!! 
the property is now in good hands and i do not think those investors shelled out that kind of money not seeing a good return!
the demographics are changing in san carlos!!

maryt

Mana: 
frankiej, how are the demographics changing? From what to what?

johnmoore

Mana: 
dem·o·graph·ics

/ˌdeməˈɡrafiks/

noun

plural noun: demographics

statistical data relating to the population and particular groups within it.

frankiej

Mana: 
8/15 years ago real estate sales where soaring with NOB buyers!  there was little or no financing here! some NOB's had deep pockets, some with homes NOB had lots of equity,  some choose to use that equity to finance there homes here!  9 years ago,  "one reason" was because of wall street making mortgages a commodity the world fell into a global financial crisis!  the dust still hasn't settled! 
today the largest percentage of sales are to the mexican nationals! 
it has only been about a year that the market here has begun to stabilize!  with houses still valued below their cost to build today!
there are a lot of wealthy mexican nationals who are not affected buy the dollar peso exchange and are buying up exiting real estate and filling the void!
that is the demographic change!  

frankiej

Mana: 
post #6 , i believe the more people arriving here the more competition to the local businesses!   to compete many will be forced to reduce their prices!
we are seeing the high prices here because of a stagnate economy!  to survive many had to raise their prices!  businesses require the influx of money to remain open! that influx is coming and is welcomed by those of us who have an understanding of the workings of a healthy economy!
that said even when san carlos does have a healthy economy,  the prices will still be cheaper in guaymas and empalme that is capitalism! 
it is no different any where!  a steak from the same meat distributor in any restaurant is more expensive in north phoenix/tucson than in south phoenix/tucson!!

Biscuit

Mana: 
San Carlos has never been what could be considered a real tourist destination, and I see no indications that it could now become one. It's a great get-away-and-relax destination especially if one enjoys water sports.

Look at any popular travel destination and what it's taken to build it. An influx of government money - and I don't mean the piddly sums bestowed upon her when elected officials need to round up an entire population for enuf votes to be reelected. And is SC or is it not still Guaymas' little bastard sibling (to politicians, at least) the rest of the time?

Maybe if there was already a base of some sort that attracted visitors to unique features, it might help. A world class golf course with tournaments. A marine and wildife sanctuary that attracted both researchers and recreational divers. Bigger fishing tournaments. Newly discovered caverns, cultural centers, major sports teams, art museums, a birder' paradise, etc etc. ANYTHING.

The most important thing that's lacking, IMO, is tourism mentality. Visionaries devoted to putting SC front and center. PLANNED development. How about potable water for all? Personally, I'd set up a movie theater and show Catch 22 twice a day.

I'm not trying to be facetious. I Iove SC for what it is. And I'm grateful that it hasn't been torn up beyond repair every time some developer gets starfish, I mean stardust, in his eyes and hears cash register music every time he imagines folk flying in by the thousands each week, and all he needs to do is get the landscape covered in hotels and houses in time. OK, maybe that part is a tad bit facetious....

Point is, flights are hardly new. Nor is the pronouncement that SC is the next big tourist destination. I'd love to see businesses do well financially! I'd just prefer it comes from improved business practices - if that's what it takes - rather than wishful thinking.

frankiej

Mana: 
post #15 your 4th paragraph key and most important words;

PLANNED DEVELOPMENT!

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 05:37 am by frankiej

frankiej

Mana: 
i am listening!  post #8 i have heard that mind set many times "to hot to cold"! 
post #15 your 2nd  paragraph "government money"! 
so lets make a comparison;
  when i was a kid lake havasu city and laughlin did not exist!  both are hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter!  but the river was the attraction!
then someone developed master plans,  presented them  for government funding!  then wham bam thank you mam!
destination communities that have less to offer than we do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i can assure you that there are indeed big time players in the shadows,  with that capability!
P.S.  san carlos has always had more properties owned by millionaires per capita  then any where else in sonora!  there is now a "new playing field" in the horizon billionaire property owners!  they are here!!  what does that mean for san carlos;  birds of a feather flock together!!

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 06:35 am by frankiej

Bullshipper

Mana: 
San Carlos needs both residents and weekend tourists with more money to prosper. You cannot pay the help and rent M-F with no customers, and charge the same as Hermosillo where they have customers 7 days a week.

But it is what it is and there is nothing a few ol gringos can do to stop it. If SC gets too expensive, there is Kino, Guaymas and Miramar close by so everyone has options.

johnmoore

Mana: 
Frankie, You have heard "too hot, too cold", before, because it is true. Too hot, too cold adversely effects the cost of living here. Those of us that have been here 30 yrs plus (and enjoyed most of it, all those yrs.) are here for other reasons, than the climate. I have no beef with speculators and developers, but unless monies comes here, like is found in Brunei, it is my opinion this will remain, the sleepy little pueblo (not for all place) that we all love so much. The real estate "progressives" want to create here, what is easily found elsewhere. This has been tried, and has failed countless times, over the years. If, as a consumer, I am looking for that kind of place, I will look in those places to begin with, ie: Cancun, Xtapa, Mazatlán, Vallarta, or even Rocky Point.

frankiej

Mana: 
john,  i agree with you as far as it being tried before!  we all see the failed projects left abandoned and deteriorating!!   
there is no question regarding the climate! 
so why was there failure??  the biggest problem was the complete lack of a "planned community" a "master plan"!!!  i gave valid examples of communities NOB that have less to offer than san carlos!  
the complaints of the businesses here price gouging are valid!!  but it is more than just the businesses!  
we all received our electric bills last week,  OUCH!!  there are 3 tiers levels for payment,  guaymas is charged monthly we are charged very 2 months!  why CFE knows we will fall into the higher billing tiers!  with most of us falling into the highest!
instead of organizing and doing something about it, we accept it!  just like we accept the price gouging of the local businesses!  
so who is to blame??   

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 04:03 pm by frankiej

Bullshipper

Mana: 
The larger tourist resorts in Mexico all have subsidized airfare and infrastructure to compete with other major destinations.

You can fly cheaper to Paris from LA than you can to Hermosillo or Guaymas, so that is one of the main reasons that people who work, have money, and limited time off are gong to bypass hard to reach locations.

So drive in retired folk will continue to rule year round in SC in my opinion, and I will be surprised if these direct flights are offered more than the peak season from Thanksgiving through semana santa after they see their revenues their 1st year. year.

frankiej

Mana: 
drive in retired folks can not vote here, have little or no political influence and their attrition rate is increasing at a high rate,  due to mortality or moving back NOB for health reasons!!
the 2 san carlos's;  1) the sleepy village during the week many refer to!  2) the weekend packed with party'rs, music blasting all night long,  lines at all the OXXO's & extras,  traffic, ect;!!

RichD

Mana: 
Seems like the newspaper piece that inspired all this was more PR than journalism. Maybe time would be better spent having a margarita on the beach than wringing hands over how this is going to ruin our little town. Some will want to get a head start on being outraged but don't get upset if others don't join in.

azbandit66

Mana: 
   I for one don't want to see the town change, but it is. I live in the Bahia and after the new nightclubs opened by Soggy Peso traffic is horrible and dangerous on weekend nights. There seems to be a lot more younger crowd lately.  Nothing we can do about it, we're just visitors here in their country.
   I also really doubt the airline will have any long term impact. From what I've read its about $400 a ticket one way. I have a hard time seeing them fill enough seats to keep it profitable.

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 04:40 pm by azbandit66

Bullshipper

Mana: 
SC is great. Enjoy it.

long time resident

Mana: 
Many, Many years ago, before Ballemar bought his house, a Canadian group would fly into Guaymas on chartered planes a couple of times a week, and stay at the Posada, Sol-y-mar, and the Fiesta. The hotel rooms were booked solid. There were tours into Guaymas, there was river rafting, diving trips, shopping trips, tennis (club med had just opened), and there were a couple of discos, activities, and a lot of action around town. Prices didn't go up because of this. There were plenty of people spending money in town. The more money spent, the more money the businesses made, and didn't have to raise there prices. As far as the cost of vets in San Carlos, I found the price very similar to Hermosillo and Guaymas, and I didn't have to drive my animal as far. They have less clients due to the small population of the town. I welcome the flights, feeling that it will give the economy a much needed boost to the town, and the more, the merrier. If the prices are too high for some, they can shop in Guaymas.

frankiej

Mana: 
brovo LTR!!!  many here only see the flights for tourists or the maquiladores!  i know many of the wealthy nationals here,  most have homes in tucson and phoenix!  their children are students at the U of A & ASU!  flights for them will be a convenience,  eliminating the drive! i hope filling the seats will not be a problem,  i hope the problem is obtaining a seat!  the more seats filled the more need for additional flights,  the more additional fights the more need for other carriers! 
that brings competition and attention!  the competition will inspire better rates,  the attention will bring government funding!   

firemanjohn

Mana: 
A walk on the beach today or a drive to town is enough to keep most NOB tourist away. I've never seen trash like this in any "tourist destinations".  

ballenamar

Mana: 
LTR: You don't live here any more. Things may have changed. The information on costs of vets comes from a Mexican national who lives BOTH in Hermosillo and San Carlos. She is appalled at the price differences. She confirms that vet prices are DOUBLE in San Carlos. An American who lives here confirmed this fact only yesterday. This person is also appalled at the price gouging and states that the only time she does business with a "gouger" is when she needs a vendor who speaks English.  

As an educator, the total focus in my life since 1982 has been working with Mexican youth who live in the area. I really don't care who visits San Carlos as long as they don't drive up prices that affect me.  My point throughout this thread is that price gouging takes place with tourism and this affects BOTH the anglos AND the Mexican Nationals who make San Carlos their home.  

This gouging attitude is also prevalent with real estate people who consider that the price they want a property to sell for is "value" even though there are few willing buyers (e.g. LTR's property). As an American, in I am schooled in the economic law of supply and demand. Down here, the economic law is "if I build it, people will come". There are many skeletons of buildings and empty homes that attest to this way of thinking. So, why not attract foreigners and nationals who will buy a home at a reasonable price and make a life down here? Many have done it elsewhere in Mexico. In my view, tourism isn't a route to long term economic economic growth or stability in our area. But, building a community is !!!

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 06:10 pm by ballenamar

maryt

Mana: 
I think what we have to acknowledge is that San Carlos is not just another colonia filled with full time residents. We have full time residents (what % would be interesting) but we also have many, many part-time residents both gringos and nationals. And we have many week-end tourists coming for the clubs and restaurants as well as short time vacationers. My experience with tourist spots here and in the US is that they are more expensive. Real estate rental and sale prices also impact prices of goods. Look at urban prices compared to rural in the US. We pay a premium for service providers that can speak English because of supply and demand. I have used both vets here in San Carlos and not felt at all gouged but I expect they may be more expensive that Hermosillo or Guaymas due to rental costs if nothing else and we are probably paying a premium for the English. For me, it is not worth the price of gas to go into Guaymas to a vet and I am not sure my Spanish would be up to it. However, I love eating out in Guaymas but, still, I find some places are way cheaper and others not so much. Can´t wait to get back down.

Wy Ynot

Mana: 
A little off subject but we have new vets in town. Very caring and knowledgeable. Husband and wife team have years of experience and their own clinic in Guaymas. The wife is here on Beltrones beside Megacable. Very reasonable in price, both clinic and grooming. Next, back to Paradise Air Mexico. Stopped at their office an hour ago. They have schedules from Phoenix and Tucson to and from Guaymas. Let me say that ROUNDTRIP Phoenix to Guaymas is 369.00 US, 389.00 US Tucson to Guaymas and return. First flight will be Oct. 10. 2016. Two flights per week and then 4 in November. There are 10 hotel/condos involved. Business in Guaymas and Empalme as well. Support it and maybe they can remain in business. If anyone remembers, the round trip air increased to near 1400.00 US from Denver before they shut down all US service some years back. I think it's great for the community. There will not be enough influx on anyone to overrun anything!! You may stop and ask your questions personally at their office in El Faro Plaza on Beltrones. There were 2 gents and 2 ladies there this afternoon. English and Spanish spoken. Ron

frankiej

Mana: 
there are 2 parts to "the laws of supply and demand"!  one can not work without the other!!!!!
regarding real estate prices;  i have been a builder here for 14 years with 36 years of experience!  i doubt i could build 80/90 % of the houses on the market,  with zero profit for the prices they are selling at!!!!
it is and has been a buyers market,  for years!!

Richard Baca

Mana: 
Ballenamar and Frankie, It is true that the real estate "wannbes" in SC list houses for prices above and beyond what a proper market analysis would indicate. In the real estate business there are three methods of establishing market value: (1) CMA which stands fer "comparative market analysis". The basic tenets in CMA are of course, comparable properties and, an impossibility in SC, sold and closed sales of at least three comps within the immediate past 6 months. The "wannabes" in SC want to emulate NOB CMA practices and in order to do so, USE LISTED PRICES as their comps! In other words, they are massaging each other and trying to pull the wool over the new buying public's eyes! And they are oh so proud of it! (Dazzle 'em with brillance, and baffle 'em with BS!)
(2) The only market analysis method that works in small custom home markets such as ours, is the "cost replacement" method. As far as I know, I am the only American that has done done this in SC for the past 24 years. It requires training in the methods and building experience in the pertinent market. Basically what one does is measure the house, figure current construction costs, apply standard straight line depreciation and add in the current lot or land value (and furnishings as the case may be). Depreciation(?), I'm often asked; don't houses usually "appreciate"? Well, only inasmuch as building materials appreciate over time. Many older homes will need upgrades, and remember those older homes without grounded electrical outlets and older plumbing issues, etc.? The straight line depredation factor usually takes care of this. It's the lot or land that actually adds value to a property over time and of course there may be unique architectural or other non despreciable components.
(3) The third method of property price analysis is the "capitalization rate" method, and this is applied mostly to commercial property and is a course unto itself.
And yes, the laws of supply and demand are evident... in the gross over supply at the moment. The trick is to find a motivated seller and use the r/e agent for broker to navigate the closing maze.

frankiej

Mana: 
richard,  i had to have a cig. before i could respond to your post!
1) CMA well the is good if you are dealing with tract homes, which there none here!
2) cost replacement,  which is what i was referring to in my earlier post!
there are a zillion factors for costs; lets start at the first thing needed, the lot!  is the lot on flat land like in the 2 country clubs,  is it on a slope,  is it on the beach.  just those 3 types have a wide range of costs concerning the construction of the foundation!
flat roof , pitched roof, dual pane windows, single pane windows,  central air or mini-split,  i can go on and on!
the facts concerning the real estate agents here in town,  the signs you see the most of are the most successful! their success comes earned!  they have repeat customers and referrals from their customers!

Last edited on Tue Sep 20th, 2016 12:52 am by frankiej

Richard Baca

Mana: 
Like I said Frankie, cost replacement method takes training and experience. As you point out, it's multifaceted. CMA in SC is just the razzlers dazzlers and bafflers massaging each other with both the listers and sellers as victims.

ballenamar

Mana: 
But what about lots?? We've got a bunch of people who own lots in Bella Esperanza. Nothing has sold for a very long time. They paid way too much and prefer to hold for a miracle instead of accepting the mistake and taking a lower price. Same goes for many empty houses. Sellers way overpaid when they bought (thanks to the zeal of buying in paradise before simply renting for a year and real estate people) and now hope for a miracle. 

Where is "value" in any of this??? "Value" is established when a willing seller and a willing buyer consummate a transaction. In my view, all other forms of appraisal are voodo arithmetic. I fired a real estate agent who handed me a sheet of local  listings and called the list an "appraisal".

Last edited on Tue Sep 20th, 2016 04:16 am by ballenamar

Richard Baca

Mana: 
"Bella Esperanza"... don't you just love the name? "Beautiful Hope" is the literal translation. Yes, many overpaid out there. The developer and many r/e agents/brokers that should have known better, over promised based on "hope". Well, reality should now have set in. There is an oversupply of Bella Esperanza lots and practically no demand. Oh, and if one wants to buy from the developer, yessiree you still can! And also, don't forget all those new lots out beyond the old Cub Paradiso, and the land supposedly going up for sale by or through Pradise Air/Properties? Caveat Emptor everone!!

frankiej

Mana: 
i refer all of you to the paradise canyon thread!!!
same story different thread!

johnmoore

Mana: 
Even tho this tread has morphed a bit, I think a lot of people expressed some interesting insight to there reasons for being here, there hopes for the future, there desire to hang on to that part of SC that brought them here in the first place, and their hopes of having made a recoverable investment. I really have appreciated all that has been said, and if there are anymore thoughts, would love to hear them........even if it is about the projected new air service..jajaja.

frankiej

Mana: 
you can fool all the people some of the time,  and some of the people all the time,  but you cannot fool all the people all the time!
Abraham Lincoln 

390pony

Mana: 
Actually, P.T Barnum.

kiteboarder

Mana: 
No, not P.T. Barnum, but not Lincoln either.
"You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."
This was thought to be part of a speech Lincoln gave in September 1858 in Clinton, Illinois, but the line is not included in the text that was printed in the local newspaper. It was attributed to Lincoln in 1910 when two people remembered hearing him say it in 1856--54 years later.

Last edited on Tue Sep 20th, 2016 07:14 pm by kiteboarder

frankiej

Mana: 
thanks posts #'s 41 & 42!!! 
who ever made the quote is of no real importance!
the quote speaks volumes,  and that is what is important!!!

frankiej

Mana: 
several years back,  i had some temporary tattoos made up,  i did to help promote san carlos! 

johnmoore

Mana: 
Adages, tattoos, now this thread has really morphed.......

frankiej

Mana: 
the post started as a positive post for the new airline coming!
how it will promote tourism!
it did morph into the same negative comments of the real estate market seen and duplicated on other threads,  including the newest post regarding the peso/dollar exchange!!
(some) need to widen their spheres of influence!!  to obtain a more rounded view of the RE market! 
 we live in "San Carlos, Nuevo, Guaymas!! Guaymas!!!

apples with apples,  oranges with oranges!!

1)upper end houses in the miramar area are more expensive than some of the houses here!  

2) there is an upper end,  middle end,  lower end market there as here!  the upper end availability is shrinking,  thus making san carlos's upper end market more attractive!

3) positive promotion is good!

Last edited on Wed Sep 21st, 2016 01:08 am by frankiej

frankiej

Mana: 
this was my promotion !!  simple!!!

Attachment: Scan0012.pdf (Downloaded 100 times)

long time resident

Mana: 
Good promotion! How true. A property is worth what someone will pay for it.

odwyerpw

Mana: 
San Carlos is spread out and doesn't have convenient village transportation like other tourists destinations (thinking Pulmonias in Mazatlán for instance) so a car is a necessity once you get here. Complimentary offers with local car rental outfits might make the air travel even more attractive. Unless you've got a car parked in the garage of the San Carlos home you already own, you're going to need a way to get around.

Without getting into allot of details, I'll cite two scenarios using the most basic of autos available from Sixt.
Chevy Aveo, four door stick shift, power steering and AC. I'm including Top Coverage Loss Damage Waiver Insurance because the other options expose the renters to too much risks and large holds on their credit cards. I'm including unlimited mileage to reduce variable costs and airport pickup/dropoff for convenience.

Two Weeks: all-inclusive costs $600usd
7 days: all-inclusive costs $325usd

If you are a tourists or real-estate buyer, 1 to 2 weeks is probably your stay. Obviously, the dollar to peso exchange rate has lowered these prices in relation to previous years. An easy means to book these cars at the airport through one of the Paradise-Sands, Paradise-Tours, Paradise-Air, etc.. entities might be nice?

Latest news from their blog, today Sept 21, 2016:
"Thank you for your comment, we do not have a specific flight start date due to changes in a new US-Mexico Air Transportation agreement that went into effect the end of August of this year. We have added you to our information email list for future updates. Thank you."

Last edited on Wed Sep 21st, 2016 07:07 pm by odwyerpw

390pony

Mana: 
I would love to have Pulmonias here!

odwyerpw

Mana: 
Or even a fleet of 2 row (1+3pax) electric golf carts. But that's another thread. lol

frankiej

Mana: 
"AIR/UBER" ;  i have personally hitched private plane rides out of san carlos to tucson,  tucson to san carlos!
there are many private planes arriving and departing here daily and weekly.  many times all the seats are not full!
i never paid but always offered $100/150!! 
if this could become an acceptable way to fly to tucson,  many private pilots would be glad to accept the $100/150 to help off set fuel costs!
the air/taxi concept is used world wide with success, ie; alaska, canada, south africa, austrialia,ect!!
just an idea!!

Last edited on Thu Sep 22nd, 2016 02:01 pm by frankiej

happy camper

Mana: 
Frankie , where do you find those rides ??

frankiej

Mana: 
from friends!  if you speak spanish you can call the airport director and ask him to be on the look out for you!

happy camper

Mana: 
Ok, Thanks frankie. I guess my Spanish is still limited , especially at the phone .
I am more looking coming back from Phoenix at Oct. 7 .

Last edited on Fri Sep 23rd, 2016 11:49 am by happy camper

will rogers

Mana: 
It's against FAA regulations for a private pilot to accept payment.

azbandit66

Mana: 
That's a real grey area. You could argue that you are simply splitting fuel cost, it is different than "aircraft for hire", where the pilot is out for a profit.

frankiej

Mana: 
a couple of my hitched fights where on corporate planes with commercial pilots!

odwyerpw

Mana: 
regardless of the legal issues involved...
hitching GA plane rides is not a sustainable means for bringing the number of people you folks wish to attract to return to the Hay Days of the Real Estate Boom and all it's associated hubris to San Carlos.
you're going to need a bigger plane...
(funny, we actually have commercial air service for hire here in Alamos again... a little 4 or 6 seat plane.  takes off from the runway every day or so (I'm staying at a hacienda right off the runway, I'll have to go over and check it out)... of course it's not international)

falcon20pilot

Mana: 
I'm a bit late to the party, and we have thread drift, but I wanted to put in my 20 pesos on the ride sharing. 
Flying is what I do and the regulations under 14CFR 61.113(c) are not grey and are backed up by General Counsel opinion of 2011. These actually only apply to private pilots, or commercial pilots who are acting as private pilots for their own purposes. 
The sharing of expenses is allowed provided the passengers and pilot have a common purpose. Everyone on the aircraft coming down and fishing together and returning would apply. 
Sharing expenses when the purpose of the trip is nothing more than traveling from point a to b is totally and completely illegal. 
It's all good until you you get caught. Trust me there is no grey area this has been litigated many times. 
Mike

aligato

Mana: 
So anyone know what happened to this wonderful Paradise Airline that was supposedly happening in March 2016....it is now October, still no flights, but I understand they have collected a lot of money from people for "flight coupons", glad I never purchased as I just booked the first flight I would have used them on, had to fly into HMO as GYM is not an option, and does not appear that it will ever be.....IMHO.

frankiej

Mana: 
my mom in tucson said she has been seeing on the news that they started the flights from phoenix to hermosillo, the middle of this week!
that is a positive start!

Last edited on Fri Oct 7th, 2016 07:25 pm by frankiej

johnmoore

Mana: 
Frankie, I think that is a different airline.

frankiej

Mana: 
i didn'nt see the news report!

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Yes it is a different airline-one of the Mexican carriers.
News article at http://tucson.com/business/tucson/tucson-regains-direct-air-service-to-hermosillo/article_ef743dba-a77c-5a9d-9a7f-ad6546271cee.html

Last edited on Fri Oct 7th, 2016 09:33 pm by bartmanaz

kiteboarder

Mana: 
I was recently in Tucson Airport and next to the Southwest desk was Aeromar, the new airline. They started October 3 and fly from Tucson to Hermosillo, Los Mochis, Guadalajara, and Mazatlán. No sign of Paradise Air.

johnmoore

Mana: 
Aeromar, round trip, Hermosillo to Tucson costs $149 US.

Last edited on Sat Oct 8th, 2016 03:37 am by johnmoore

Wy Ynot

Mana: 
We were at the Tucson Airport as well on the 2nd. of October, it was about 4:30 AM and no one was there but they were all decorated to open the next morning flying to HMO and South.. Paradise Air has a new post on their Paradise Air Mexico Facebook site regarding a newly passed gov't law/requirement. I will keep my faith, bought several "prepaid coupons", LOL. I did not find a counter at the Tucson Airport that morning, the 2nd of Oct. Ron

odwyerpw

Mana: 
I flew out of Tucson to New York on Tuesday October 4th. I saw that Aeromar ticketing/checkin was staffed.

aligato

Mana: 
FYI, that supposed newly passed law was actually signed in December of 2015 to go into effect in August of 2016....so explain to me what the surprise legislation was???

Richard Baca

Mana: 
Paradise Air continues to be a mystery wrapped in an enigma with an office located El Faro Plaza No. 7. The website on their card is http://www.iMexicoTravel.com at which one will find "Resort" packages with air travel included, a few prices but no dates. They promise an update by the end of business today, Wednesday October 12, 2016. Vamos a ver...

happy camper

Mana: 
Here is the latest update posted at FB.

UPDATE: We have received authorization to begin regularly scheduled flights on Nov. 17, 2016. We do have earlier flights approved on a date-by-date basis for those who have submitted travel requests and we will continue to assist you personally on this. Our reservation system, airport gate agreements and operations program are being updated with this initial start date and the reservation system will be ready to launch on or before October 19, 2016. This is the flight date we can take new reservations and does not affect those who have submitted travel requests. If you want to travel prior to the November 17, 2016 date please an email to paradiseairmx@gmail.com or contact our office at +52-622-226-1717 or US 623-240-9819 or visit our office at Plaza El Faro #7 on Blvd Beltrones in San Carlos from Monday-Saturday 9 am - 3 pm.

Richard Baca

Mana: 
Okay, they really mean it this time! Let's wish them luck on both starting and generating enough business to both sustain operations and make a profit!

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems