San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
AuthorPost
Ian948

Mana: 
Friday night meeting friends for dinner at Sunset.

First time in 6+ years had to pay 20 pesos access , they were very aggressive in enforcing and chased me down to get it at the Restaurant !

I am informed the charge is for security and road maintenance - but the fine print on the back of the ticket excludes all liability for cars contents etc !!

The 20p is not the point for some reason it really irks me to pay to access an establishment where we will spend significant $- if the restaurants were to put up a sign saying it would be refunded when you pay your dinner bill it might take the sting out a bit. As it is the feeling is they don't want our business !

The impression I get is the 4 establishments out there are behind this , consequently they have lost my business and likely that of any friends I advise where to go.
:(

nice guy

Mana: 
I guess you lucked out - it used to be 50 pesos.

Ian948

Mana: 
LOL !
:)

johnmoore

Mana: 
Supposedly if you have a business card of the owners of the restaurants there, the fee is waved.

marlin master

Mana: 
Ian, the business's out there have nothing to do with the charging, in fact, they have been fighting it . This is being done solely by the Coppel family company that now owns the property out there. A lot of folks get mad, and turn around. The beach business's are losing money because of this.
The kid with the cheesey mustache threatend to spray me with pepper spray one day because I didn't want to pay, I just drove over his cone and went in. Like you said, it's not the money, it's the principal that you are going to one of the business to spend money.
If you really think about it though, 20 pesos is only about 1.10 usd at todays exchange rate. That is O.K. by me to sit and relax at my favorite Beach Bar. Just try going to the beach in San Diego or anywhere else in the States, minimum of 10.00 to park anyplace close.

Last edited on Mon May 23rd, 2016 03:02 pm by marlin master

papasun

Mana: 
it ALSO really irks me to pay to access an establishment where we will spend significant $ I will not go!

TravelLover

Mana: 
We were asked to pay $30 pesos on Friday!

frankiej

Mana: 
i have always told them i live next door and that i am never charged, they smile and wave me through! it works for me! i do live at puesta del sol next door!

johnmoore

Mana: 
If it is the restaurants charging this fee, it is one thing, if it is the land owner, Coppel, it is another. Also pedestrian access to the beach cannot be obstructed, but autos can. Coppel has every right to charge. I don't like it either, but we do have choices. Maybe the bars should pay a flat fee to accommodate their patrons.

Ian948

Mana: 
MM - point well taken.

Glad to know not the first to take out the shiny cone !! :)

Reason I thought the establishments are either behind or cooperating is the printing on the ticket !

Equally neither Lisa or Frank was handy to ask and the management I spoke with could not explain the charge.

Maybe a clear sign "Parking 20p " in English and Spanish applied to all except workers would be better !

Attached Image (viewed 227 times):

IMG_1724.jpg

long time resident

Mana: 
They tried doing this several years ago, and after a while, stopped, because it was hurting business. Coppell didn't own it then. I would think that Frank, Lisa, and the other owners could influence this by reimbursing the patron when they pay their bill. But then again, At Sunset, it was the first time I ever went to a restaurant and was charged for my ketchup. So there you go, all a learning process. If I feel I am being nickel and dimed, I go elsewhere. Prices are high enough as it is at these places, they could certainly afford to give it back to their clients on the bill.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
If you are complaining about high prices in San Carlos quit going out.These business' charge a fraction of what is charged in the sates, and they have to pay labor and rent all week with very few customers, hoping that their weekend sales pick up enough to pay that loss back and yield wages for them to also live on.

Last edited on Mon May 23rd, 2016 06:46 pm by Bullshipper

long time resident

Mana: 
Bullshipper, I only made a statement. I was not complaining about anyones prices, just making a statement. During the summer, that beach is busy all day everyday. The mexicans love the area, and frequent it with their families on vacation.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
long time resident wrote: Bullshipper, I only made a statement. I was not complaining about anyones prices, just making a statement. During the summer, that beach is busy all day everyday. The mexicans love the area, and frequent it with their families on vacation.
My statement wasn't aimed at you as you clearly recognized that the Coppels have costs that they have to cover when they give access. They are a rich family that would probably be sued by users on their ground if something serious happened. By providing security guards and some control on who enters and leaves, they are being prudent in their good will management of their ground, while allowing access to the public, that the government probably has not yet designated, or spent any money to clean and patrol.
If you use the area, you pay a $1 per carload to drink, swim and carry on. But there is no cost to those that do not want to join in the livations, and to me that is a fair solution as its almost $3 person to enter el Soldado.

ballenamar

Mana: 
At Estero del Soldado, you get kayak tours, etc. And, you are supporting the conservation of a protected area. In my view there is no comparison between the Coppel property and Estero del Soldado.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
I am not saying that $3 is too much either and I really think that complaining about a $1 per carload is taking this too far.

Like you say this is apples and oranges as no one donated the ground to the Coppel's, fenced their property for free, help pay their taxes, provide them free personel, collect the garbage, or hold them safe from lawsuits.

lasninas

Mana: 
Interesting.  When we asked what the fee was for they told us it was to clean the beaches.  We mentioned to the young man that it was illegal in Mexico to restrict access to beaches but, of course, he only works there.  

bombero

Mana: 
Lasninas, read # 9. concerning access.

Vince Radice

Mana: 
When the Paradiso hotel was still open perhaps many of you will remember that there was a public access entrance just east of the main entrance to the beach where they now charge the fee.

From what I understood from Joep, the ex owner of the Paradiso, the reason there was access was because if he didn't allow a public access to the beach he could not legally charge anyone for access through the main entrance.

So if you ever used that public access entry you found that it would allow you to drive to the beach and you could park right next to the Costa del Mar and then you would have to walk the rest of the way to the bars.

When the Coppel family bought the property they got rid of the public access. Now is this legal? I don't really think it is legal what they are doing but they are doing it non the less.

Joep was a stickler for the law because as many of us know when you are business owner in San Carlos, especially a business owner with a big property like that you become a huge target for shakedowns and you try to not get fined.

Coppel have far deeper pockets and thus can most likely get away with what they want as opposed to what is legal.

long time resident

Mana: 
They will allow you to walk through without charging. The law is on their side. They do not have to allow cars onto their property. They can not deny pedestrians walking.....

frankiej

Mana: 
there are 3 gates at paradiso. the original entrance, the one now used and a 3rd one just east of the one now used. that was open for awhile, with no guards. it is now locked.the liter from the bajia to paridiso comes primarily from the late night patrons of the bars on the beach! if we are to be charge some of that money should go to cleaning up the road! it looks like a dump!!!!!!

long time resident

Mana: 
Totally agree.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems