San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Anybody in town thinking about doing this San Calazo ATV/UTV rally?

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Anybody in town thinking about doing this San Calazo ATV/UTV rally?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 01:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Hook

Mana: 
It's not cheap, but it sounds rather interesting. The promoters are promising going into some "unexplored desert trails". Hmmm........I just dont know if I can spend seven hours on my ATV. Bands on the beach, too.
Anyone else considering going?

The details are on the latest WUSC newsletter. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 01:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
or http://www.sancarlazo.com

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 02:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dezrat57

Mana: 
So i guess walking my dogs on the beach would not be a good idea....:)Great heads up.
Thx

dave

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 06:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I dont think the ATVs will be on the beach. Only the party and the bands, each night.

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
The route map shows the ATV route on the San Francisco Beach and the Aldogones/La Manga beaches. A lot of the advertised 100km route is apparently on rarely used routes. Somehow I get the funny feeling that the State of Sonora tourist agency and the State of Sonora environmental agency (CEDES) are not communicating.

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Based on the route map on their website (the Google Earth images with the push pins), I dont see how you can tell if the route is on the actual beach or not. There are roads directly behind the beach in both of those areas.

Please tell us how you have concluded that the route is definitively on the actual beach, Ballenamar.

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 08:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
monty

Mana: 
I would like to know how they are getting access to these places, it seems the ranchers are putting up more fences than before at least that is what we had experienced this year. The video looks like their just going to rip up the beach. I also think the ride is much to long in this heat.
Not to impressed by the price or payment method either.
"Keep your receipt" maybe for a souvenir!!!!!!! Deb

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
monty wrote: I would like to know how they are getting access to these places,..........
It's Mexico. Money opens all doors. Or, in this case, fences.
Yeah, it would make for a very long day, unless they have planned refreshment stops. But I would think they would mention those.
It hasnt been a blazing hot May, so far. But that's too far out for an accurate prediction.
Regardless of whatever temp it is going to be, I'd settle for a nice, strong 15+ knot wind all day, to keep the dust off the trail.

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 12:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Hook: I truly hope that my presumption that the ATVS will travel part of the way on the beach is WRONG and that you are right. But, my skepticism comes from viewing many ATV tracks on these beaches as well as witnessing regular illegal ATV traffic in these places.

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 12:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I hope your presumption is wrong, too. I dont want to see them on the beach.

I really dont know how many people are going to attend this. It's pretty expensive. I'm leaning towards not doing it this year and seeing how well it's organized and how well attended. The price may keep the numbers down.

Posted: Thu May 26th, 2016 11:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
monty

Mana: 
Anybody hear anymore on this.

Posted: Thu May 26th, 2016 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Murray has talked at length with the organizers. Call him, Fred/Deb.

Troy from Hammerheads has supposedly driven about 60% of the route, and he is a sponsor. You might ask him, too.

Supposedly 50 participants were signed up as of two days ago. I dont think that is rigs, just persons. So maybe 25 rigs?

Posted: Fri May 27th, 2016 01:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
monty

Mana: 
Why didn't you just say you were going with Murray.

Posted: Fri May 27th, 2016 01:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Hook

Mana: 
That's not what you asked. And I haven't talked to the organizers, Deb.

Posted: Fri May 27th, 2016 01:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
monty

Mana: 
Ya, your right. Hope you write a report. Thanks have fun.

Posted: Tue May 31st, 2016 01:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Well, my wife and I did go on this run and it was fairly well organized. At one rancher's gate, the rancher hadn't gotten word to the workers that we were allowed to cross, so the gate was barred. That caused a delay of about 20 minutes.

But, all in all, it was a great route, through some tremendous canyons north of San Carlos.

And, while the run started at the beach, they had access to the sand itself, blocked off. The route went immediately inland and never actually went along San Francisco Beach or the La Manga beaches. They even made an announcement on stage, before the race, that no driving on the beach was allowed.

Lots of well-to-do Mexicans in expensive, four-seater rigs in this event. Only three gringo rigs in the whole thing, and that included us and one gringo sponsor of the event (Hammerheads).

Current time is 04:27 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Anybody in town thinking about doing this San Calazo ATV/UTV rally? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems