San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
AuthorPost
frankiej

Mana: 
this is the question;
guaymas or san carlos sure could use a ---------- ?
now you post your answer!
this can be fun, positive, and creative!

Last edited on Wed May 18th, 2016 06:06 am by frankiej

frankiej

Mana: 
i'll start it out!
i would like to see in san carlos a municipal park like there is in miramar!

marlin master

Mana: 
Costco 

guzzi

Mana: 
Yes Costco in Gauymas and park here. Lets hope that they include that on the new malecon and beach access we are supposed to be getting.

maryt

Mana: 
San Carlos could sure use a central plaza like Plaza de trece de julio in Guaymas.

TravelLover

Mana: 
In addition to Costco, a health food store similar to Trader Joe's, Natural Grocers, etc.

A children's playground in San Carlos like the Parque Infantil in Guaymas.

bombero

Mana: 
TravelLover, you may want to give Soya De Guaymas http://soyasancarlos.com/ a try. They have been around a long time, good folks, good reputation. They are across the street from what was Bananas.

RichD

Mana: 
Maybe a civic project to plant some trees and put benches in the plaza next to the Catholic church.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
Desert Landscaping to save water and maintenance.

contez

Mana: 
What about:

A) Reliable Drinking Water System.

B) Sewage treatment plant& system (we already pay for it, but doesn't exist).

C) Continuity and reliability (date and time) with the PASA or Other Company for the garbage collection.

This would be a great start!!!

nice guy

Mana: 
This thread speaks volumes for "our" community - It takes 10 posts before water, sewage and garbage are brought up.

frankiej

Mana: 
every post is welcome and interesting! this thread is intended for food for thought!

bombero

Mana: 
The longer one has lived/owned here, the less the need for what those who are recent move-ins, state as required necessities. As Mel, Dave Parker, LTR, and many others, will tell you, we bought and fell in love with SC in the days of CB only communication, septic tanks, three small markets (can you name them?) a dangerous marina, where you took your life in hand as you tried to maneuver to your boat over planks situation on 50 gal drums. NO paved roads. The Creston, our only hotel/motel.....on and on. I can't complain now, maybe wish there to be less people.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
I wish the cops would start ticketing the people that liter the beaches.

frankiej

Mana: 
on the streets also! from the last OXXO to puesta it looks like a dump!

El Suizo

Mana: 
Lets try this the small markets ; Frutería, delfines, el caracol

bombero

Mana: 
Suizo, As I recall, from East to West, Santa Rosa, San Carlos Market (large building next to Tortugas), South of Captains Club....Zerimar, at the end of the road, entering into Shangrila, Juans Fruteria.  Anyone remember the butcher's name at Juans?  Hint: it was a woman.  Does anyone remember the only Dr. in town back then?  Hint: he owned and ran the Farmacia here in town.

barato

Mana: 
Frankie and bullshipper, I DON'T think that more government intrusion or more criminal laws are the answer to litter. I hate it as much as you, but I come to Mexico to get AWAY from overbearing govt types (and self-appointed enforcers)....why would I want more of that?

once while staying at Caleta Julio villa, I picked up two whole 52 gallon contractor bags of trash. didn't say anything about it to the local guys from Hermo who were camping nearby....but they picked up all their trash when they left.....often, leading by example works better than Fiat From On High. IMHO.

Last edited on Fri May 20th, 2016 01:33 am by barato

El Suizo

Mana: 
Ok San Carlos market was next to the pre banamex location. In the 80ies zerimar used to be delfines and yes Juans fruteria. I remember Santa Rosas but it was not close to the marina where I was most of the time. I remember el Yate above the old marina.It was a good place to go for Monday night football and Shangrila was always great to go for comida corrida back then about 170 pesos, which was around one dollar. And then the evenings they had live music to eat, drink and dance too.

Fern

Mana: 
I would like to see therapy services for our community - physical and occupational therapists, speech and language pathologist, audiologist.  Also a Residential Care Facility.  The need is most definitely there.  Fern

frankiej

Mana: 
barato, if you litter your fined the law is all ready on the books, no enforcement!
i will buy water, contractor garbage bags, and kick some money to buy food if we can organize people to volunteer to clean it up! probably will need to be done several times a year! it can be a community effort we can all be proud of!

frankiej

Mana: 
i would like to see "fern" & "carolina" 2 fine ladies involved with several civic activities here in san carlos, post events, activities, ect; for all here to read and be active in also!!!!

lasninas

Mana: 
There is a group called Clean Up San Carlos that started picking up trash this past winter.  They will start again in the fall when the majority of their volunteers return.  They did an awesome job and appreciate any donations such as trash bags, gloves, etc.  They have a Facebook page and you can find out more about them there under the name listed above.

frankiej

Mana: 
lasninas, thank you!!!

Bullshipper

Mana: 
barato wrote: Frankie and bullshipper, I DON'T think that more government intrusion or more criminal laws are the answer to litter. I hate it as much as you, but I come to Mexico to get AWAY from overbearing govt types (and self-appointed enforcers)....why would I want more of that?

once while staying at Caleta Julio villa, I picked up two whole 52 gallon contractor bags of trash. didn't say anything about it to the local guys from Hermo who were camping nearby....but they picked up all their trash when they left.....often, leading by example works better than Fiat From On High. IMHO.

Asking a couple of policemen to go to the public beaches for a couple of hours on sat and sunday afternoon to give a few tickets to the blatant offenders will make an immediate improvement, get the word out, and generate some dough for the towns coffers.
It will also improve the beauty, sanitary and environmental state of the beach, which is what draws people to our area.
I have no problem with anyone helping out with clean up, but these laws have been on the books with zero enforcement for years and the problem has grown instead of getting better despite the educational push on the TV and in schools.

mrmikek

Mana: 
I' in your camp Barato!

frankiej

Mana: 
we have our own little "mayberry" here, i always describe san carlos that way! is it "los estranjeros" who are littering, i would say no!! most of the litter comes during the weekends and on holidays! most of the it is  alcohol consumption related! the containers, plastic bags, ect; 
so if the laws are enforced on those outsiders who come in on the weekends and holidays, how does that effect us, other than maintaining a clean san carlos?  
there are now G+ signs up all over, asking not to litter!
i don't understand what's wrong with enforcing the existing law, and for the litter that does occur we pick it up!in arizona we have an "adopt a hiway" program! it works fairly well!

Blaker

Mana: 
8 mo gringo here . Soup/Salad bar be sweet.. now get ready for this a Mickey ''D''

frankiej

Mana: 
most successful businesses have a business plan a formula a structured format! they know through demographic studies who the target market is! then they venture to put into place their business! sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't! what is sometimes not contemplated is competition! case in point several years ago two grocery stores came to san carlos! both stores thinking they would succeed! both stores designed for the volume needed to succeed! 6-8 cash registers, staff and stocked shelves! what both stores did not contemplate was that the stores where designed to have a minimal and maximum amount of volume to function at a profit! how many times have you seen the existing store with all the cash registers open?
this is a big problem for any business opening here in san carlos, with it's current economic status!
to succeed you need the minimal amount of daily traffic in costumers  just to stay in the black! 
our peak traffic for customers is thursday - sunday! the other 3 days are very slow! employees are hired for a 40 hour week! 
until we see more activity of people, residents/tourists 7 days a week, things will remain dismal!

Last edited on Sat May 21st, 2016 03:30 pm by frankiej

long time resident

Mana: 
Remember the old bus that was parked across from tequilas? Served the best lunches.
Fern, It would be great to see these services, but there are not enough people to support them. The need is there, but the finances aren't. Unfortunatly many that live in San Carlos do not support the locals. They bring in most of what they think they will need, and go to Wally world for the rest. It isn't cheap living in Mexico, like it was 30 years ago. I saw many locals trying to make it over the years, and couldn't because the money wasn't there.

TravelLover

Mana: 
bombero wrote: TravelLover, you may want to give Soya De Guaymas http://soyasancarlos.com/ a try. They have been around a long time, good folks, good reputation. They are across the street from what was Bananas.
Gracias, but I've stopped in a few times but they don't sell the health food stuff we buy! 

TravelLover

Mana: 
frankiej wrote: barato, if you litter your fined the law is all ready on the books, no enforcement!
i will buy water, contractor garbage bags, and kick some money to buy food if we can organize people to volunteer to clean it up! probably will need to be done several times a year! it can be a community effort we can all be proud of!

My kids and I CONSTANTLY pick up trash whenever we go to the beaches. It breaks their little hearts when they work so hard to clean up a beach, and then there's more trash when we return. Call me crazy but I would like to ENJOY the beaches instead of spending most of my time there cleaning them up! :X

What I can't figure out is why would ANYONE want to trash such beautiful places? I don't remember there being so much trash when we lived in Costa Rica and Panama. Either there are people in those countries who are paid to clean up after the litter bugs, or the citizens don't litter on a large scale--I'm not really sure. 

A friend of mine in Ecuador spends a lot of time cleaning up the beaches with her family as well. They also share similar frustrations about it.

TravelLover

Mana: 
frankiej wrote: we have our own little "mayberry" here, i always describe san carlos that way! is it "los estranjeros" who are littering, i would say no!! most of the litter comes during the weekends and on holidays! most of the it is  alcohol consumption related! the containers, plastic bags, ect; 
so if the laws are enforced on those outsiders who come in on the weekends and holidays, how does that effect us, other than maintaining a clean san carlos?  
there are now G+ signs up all over, asking not to litter!
i don't understand what's wrong with enforcing the existing law, and for the litter that does occur we pick it up!in arizona we have an "adopt a hiway" program! it works fairly well!

Last weekend I was walking home from Ley with my daughter.  We saw a man park his car, open his door and throw 3 beer cans onto the ground! What I found astonishing was the fact there was a trash can nearby! I picked up the beer cans and threw them in the trash!

Call me crazy but we came to San Carlos to enjoy nature and learn about Sonorense culture, NOT to pick up after litter bugs!

Biscuit

Mana: 
Oh geez, this question brought me out of lurk mode. Sorry if it sounds petty or too selfish but what I most want is the return of the (fish) smokehouse.

Invariably, a question such as this brings up the old days; I see I'm not the only one!

Hook

Mana: 
There is a guy who smokes fish out at Renacimiento. Just ask at the relatively new little tienda out there, on the north side of Beltrones.

Or I have his son, Leonardo's, cell phone number. 622-111-7087.

I'm with Bullshipper on the trash problem and solution. It would take too long for gringos to teach by example. A few high-profile ticketing sessions would be much more effective.

I am associated with What's Up San Carlos and the number one reason, according to emails received by the owners, that first-timers to San Carlos don't return is because they can't believe how trashy the area is, especially the beaches. It's a complete turn-off, for one of San Carlos' most valuable assets; its beaches.

long time resident

Mana: 
I agree Hook. I have heard it too many times. I use to ride my horses in the desert, and it looked like a western movie. After just a few short years, it looked like a garbage dump. How sad that people feel the need to trash something so beautiful. As they use to say" if you want to invite someone over, clean up first to leave a good impression". First impressions do count. San Carlos is looking a bit trashy. I got tired of cleaning up other peoples trash.

TravelLover

Mana: 
My 4 year old daughter has stepped on BROKEN GLASS many times at the beaches here in San Carlos. It's hard to enjoy myself at the beaches here--I have to comb them over to make sure my children don't step on broken glass and other sharp objects that don't belong there.

Biscuit

Mana: 
Littering isn't a simple matter and therefore doesn't have a simplistic solution. Everyone loves a clean beach but to get there we're actually talking about changing a cultural norm. Think back to what a huge effort it took to end habitual littering on US roadways. And how long did it take? 10-15 years! Changing a cultural norm first requires taking ownership of the problem. What that means is I don't quit picking up trash once I think I've done my fair share. I don't help clean a beach a few times and then get discouraged because change hasn't come about yet. Instead, I commit to cleaning more than my fair share for many years to come.

It's much easier to influence others to take their trash with them when they leave if they see a relatively clean beach a lot of the time, and if trash cans are available on the way out from beaches. Then someone has to empty those cans before wind and wildlife spread the trash around again.

Thinking back to the late 70s and early 80s, there were always trash cans at Lalo and Frenchies, where campers and divers used them religiously. But people aren't always to blame for trash - Algodonas, in those pre-development days, was usually almost spotless but that was mainly because the wind carried trash up the dunes and across the road to lodge amongst plants there. At Sanctuario, most debris came in on the tide - fishing nets and chunks of styrofoam, and sometimes plastic rings from soda or beer 6-pack cans as well as empty 2-liter plastic jugs used as floats.

Efforts to bring about cultural change also rely on involving others; in this case, touristas from outside the area. For starters, a friendly ad in UA, PCC, and ASU newspapers enlisting the assistance of students planning to spend holiday weekends and spring break in SC. While on the face of it the ad asks for help keeping their beaches clean ('their' personalizes the message) it serves to remind them not to leave trash behind. This tactic has been successful in Florida where beaches are the primary destination during spring break.

Finally, the next generations must participate on some level for the change to have a chance to become permanent, to be the new norm. Maybe something like a cleanup event where kids who participate can trade a filled grocery store-sized bag for an inexpensive stuffed toy?

I don't think punishment such as being fined will help at first. People will see trash everywhere and that not everybody is fined. I think they'll just get sneakier. To own the problem and take pride in clean beaches, it would be better to get their attention and give them a trash bag and a friendly smile. There will be a time for fines once trash is no longer normal.

frankiej

Mana: 
buscuit , wow!! profound and brilliant!!

Ian948

Mana: 
Biscuit - very astute post - right on the money.
What may help speed things up would be if the Tourist marketeers had some input to government so that efficient and significant effort was made by the local authority to have a full time clean up crew for SC , roads and beaches.  It would be a start ..
There are student clean up days , periodically , but too sporadic to get ahead of the problem.

frankiej

Mana: 
my post #27 i state that there signs going up all over G+ saying keep the beaches clean!the local government seems to be a where of the problem! 
probably what we will see starting with the signs to built awareness is the eventual enforcement of the law! 

TravelLover

Mana: 
Biscuit wrote: Littering isn't a simple matter and therefore doesn't have a simplistic solution. Everyone loves a clean beach but to get there we're actually talking about changing a cultural norm. Think back to what a huge effort it took to end habitual littering on US roadways. And how long did it take? 10-15 years! Changing a cultural norm first requires taking ownership of the problem. What that means is I don't quit picking up trash once I think I've done my fair share. I don't help clean a beach a few times and then get discouraged because change hasn't come about yet. Instead, I commit to cleaning more than my fair share for many years to come.

It's much easier to influence others to take their trash with them when they leave if they see a relatively clean beach a lot of the time, and if trash cans are available on the way out from beaches. Then someone has to empty those cans before wind and wildlife spread the trash around again.

Thinking back to the late 70s and early 80s, there were always trash cans at Lalo and Frenchies, where campers and divers used them religiously. But people aren't always to blame for trash - Algodonas, in those pre-development days, was usually almost spotless but that was mainly because the wind carried trash up the dunes and across the road to lodge amongst plants there. At Sanctuario, most debris came in on the tide - fishing nets and chunks of styrofoam, and sometimes plastic rings from soda or beer 6-pack cans as well as empty 2-liter plastic jugs used as floats.

Efforts to bring about cultural change also rely on involving others; in this case, touristas from outside the area. For starters, a friendly ad in UA, PCC, and ASU newspapers enlisting the assistance of students planning to spend holiday weekends and spring break in SC. While on the face of it the ad asks for help keeping their beaches clean ('their' personalizes the message) it serves to remind them not to leave trash behind. This tactic has been successful in Florida where beaches are the primary destination during spring break.

Finally, the next generations must participate on some level for the change to have a chance to become permanent, to be the new norm. Maybe something like a cleanup event where kids who participate can trade a filled grocery store-sized bag for an inexpensive stuffed toy?

I don't think punishment such as being fined will help at first. People will see trash everywhere and that not everybody is fined. I think they'll just get sneakier. To own the problem and take pride in clean beaches, it would be better to get their attention and give them a trash bag and a friendly smile. There will be a time for fines once trash is no longer normal.

I was born in '79 in the US, so a clean environment is all I know. If I saw a few pieces of litter here and there, I picked it up and disposed of it. I remember watching the "give a hoot, don't pollute" type of commercials.  More importantly, I always had encouragement from family not to throw trash around.

I will never stop picking up trash here.  I like to enjoy nature without worrying that my children will step on some broken glass, or other sharp object that has no business being on the beach.

My 9 year old son told me he actually saw people purposely breaking glass at the beaches! We were at Playa San Francisco today, and I picked up so many glass bottles and broken pieces of glass as I didn't want some jacka$$ deciding that breaking glass on beaches is entertaining!

The last time we were in Tucson, I bought extra trash compactor bags from Costco so I had a steady supply of sturdy trash bags for beach cleanups.  Too bad I haven't found strong bags like those in this area ...

My son is 9, and my daughter is almost 5.  Naturally they are going to be frustrated that they are making a strong effort to clean up the beaches, only to return to them covered in garbage.  I make sure they stick to non sharp objects, while I pick up the sharp ones.

My friend living in Ecuador with her family started a "Go Fund Me" account to get donations for litter clean up supplies. Naturally I donated. Too bad she doesn't have a Costco nearby where she can buy some "Kirkland Signature Trash Compactor Bags."

They are quite useful.

ballenamar

Mana: 
I completely agree with everything that has been said about the garbage issue. But, in fairness I think the trend is for far less garbage. For those of you who go back the 30+ years I have been here, you might recall the huge amount of garbage on the highways rights of way. Much of the improvement had to do with the gradual availability of public bathrooms. Garbage (including lots of toilet paper) disappeared from public view. It would seem to me that a more organized system of readily available garbage cans AND the regular emptying of these cans would go a long way. Couple that with some gentle and friendly enforcement much like the visibility of the cops at the new stop sign in SC for a few months. Gradually, people respected the sign.  

I also add that the idea of we anglos setting an example is a bit arrogant. Indeed, some of we anglos break environmental rules down here if it doesn't suit us and when the authorities are not looking. The Mexicans know this.

Last edited on Mon May 23rd, 2016 03:05 am by ballenamar

johnmoore

Mana: 
Biscuit, where was the fish smokehouse? What year?

TravelLover

Mana: 
ballenamar wrote: I completely agree with everything that has been said about the garbage issue. But, in fairness I think the trend is for far less garbage. For those of you who go back the 30+ years I have been here, you might recall the huge amount of garbage on the highways rights of way. Much of the improvement had to do with the gradual availability of public bathrooms. Garbage (including lots of toilet paper) disappeared from public view. It would seem to me that a more organized system of readily available garbage cans AND the regular emptying of these cans would go a long way. Couple that with some gentle and friendly enforcement much like the visibility of the cops at the new stop sign in SC for a few months. Gradually, people respected the sign.  

I also add that the idea of we anglos setting an example is a bit arrogant. Indeed, some of we anglos break environmental rules down here if it doesn't suit us and when the authorities are not looking. The Mexicans know this.

I'm not Anglo, and I don't break any environmental rules, to the best of my knowledge.

frankiej

Mana: 
here is a picture of me in 1970, i was a junior in high school. i am the guy in the middle, white t-shirts, cut offs!there was nothing on the beaches but sea weed! we picked up all our trash!

Attachment: Scan0036.pdf (Downloaded 116 times)

long time resident

Mana: 
I came here in 1980. It was so much cleaner then ....We started a project for students to clean the beaches and along the road, and we fed them lunch, and had a piñata afterwards. Lots of water and sodas, trucks to pick the big bags of garbage up, and we gave awards to the students for the most garage picked up. All of this was organized by the San Carlos Residents association, which no longer exist. We did this for several years. It made a difference. I do think that police giving fines to those that litter, will make a hugh difference. People will think twice, before they throw their garbage if they might have to pay a fine for doing it. Let me see 1980, it is now 2016, it has been a while since this concept of not littering was introduced to San Carlos. I think it might take some more time for people to understand that littering just doesn't benefit anything or anyone.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
I have family members that after 40 years of gentle persuasion still take the effort to roll down their window to throw and spray beer all over their new trucks instead of dropping the can into the bag their wife always leaves hanging in the cab.

Go to a small town fiesta, and its young and old men throwing their cans around the plaza. Hasn't changed in 50 years.

Its not everyone, so giving a few tickets to the few that refuse to be considerate will not start a revolution but their money will go to help others that shouldn't have to pay or work extra to clean up their pig pens.

ballenamar

Mana: 
I don't worry too much about the beer cans. They always seem to get picked up by someone to sell at a recycle place. It's the bottles and plastics that get me. I've often wondered about making a suggestion to the engineering school at ITSON to have their students build and operate a plastics recycling facility as part of  servicio social requirement.

Vince Radice

Mana: 
I truly believe the only way that San Carlos will get cleaned up is when it is it's own municipio and then the new local mayor makes it a priority and spends the energy and money on making it happen. I have been involved in numerous clean ups over the last 25 years. It was about 23 years ago or so that our company Sonoran Sport Center completely cleaned up the beach at Martini cove and took at least three 55 gallon garbage cans of glass bottles from the fishing shack that used to be there.

There may be a way to persuade the new comisario to start dealing with the tremendous amount of trash found all over the place on the main road. I have not met him yet and am planning on visiting him soon. I think it would take a strong lobbying effort on our part and then we still are likely to get lip service on the issue.

Lately one of the biggest shames in San Carlos is the huge overflowing dumpster out on San Francisco Beach on the way to the recent volley ball tournament site. I was there yesterday and it was pretty bad. I am actually going out there this afternoon to take a picture of it. It is disgusting really how much garbage is there.

I have a running joke with a good friend of mine from Guaymas. To me San Carlos over the years has been turned into an open Cantina and a Fosa Septica for Guaymas. We are supposedly one of the biggest tourism draws in the state of Sonora yet when you look around the town you see the main road is piled full of garbage there are no public bathrooms and the beaches are filthy. When we the local residents pick up the trash, as we always seem to do, in some ways we are actually empowering Guaymas to not bother doing the job when it is truly the responsibility of Guaymas to keep the town clean.

We have no sewage treatment here yet on your water bill you are charged for sewage treatment. The water company itself charges us 5 times the legal amount that they can charge by law and continues to get away with it. They also loose 65% of the water that they pump through our aging infrastructure. That should be a crime since we live in a desert.

We pay around 100 million pesos a year to Guaymas in taxes and they give us back around 8 million. Many of us have seen the plans for a re-furbished Mirador Escenico and a new Malecon. I would love to see that but I truly think the priority should be new infrastructure for the water delivery system in San Carlos and sewage treatment. I don't think that will happen unless San Carlos becomes it's own municpio though.

I do realize that if San Carlos were to become it's own Municipio, it would be the 73rd in Sonora, that this would not be a panacea for all that ails us. But at least we could no longer blame our woes completely on Guaymas.

frankiej

Mana: 
vince, i understand you frustration! but is becoming our own municipality the solution?federal government funding is calculated on population! if we remove ourselves from guaymas we lose the population factor.then there is the matter of the resident voters of san carlos.how large and how influential is the local population?being a national and voting in this district are two different matters!let's put the shoes on the other foot! "hypothetical"we are guaymas residents born here, live here, work here! we see the streets in guaymas a disaster, some neighborhood have lighting most don't! then we go to san carlos, road recently paved, street lighting! this might give some, resentment!  

Vince Radice

Mana: 
Federal and state funding from what I have been told is based on if you are a municipio as apposed to a comisaria. If San Carlos were it's own municipio then it could apply for state and federal funds more easily and then not have Guaymas skim god only knows how much off the top of the funds that come for said projects.

As I have stated in many articles on my blog, I don't think becoming a municipio will cure all of the problems we have. But there is little doubt, and decades of evidence, that Guaymas is not willing to deal with the problems of San Carlos.

And why should Guaymas care about San Carlos. There are perhaps 3,000 registered voters here? Guaymas has a population of 150,000 mas o menos. Guaymas does not have to care at all about San Carlos. In a nut shell Guaymas sees San Carlos as La Vaca Gorda. And they milk it for all it is worth.

contez

Mana: 
Right to the point Mr. Radice!!!As usual!!! Great job, thank you!

frankiej

Mana: 
i would like to see bus service at least 3 times a day, from san carlos out to paradiso! for 15 years i have been told it is coming!

Biscuit

Mana: 
Ian948--
No question about it, marketeers would make a major difference in getting something off the ground. I'd guess it would even be necessary.

Biscuit

Mana: 
johnmoore wrote: Biscuit, where was the fish smokehouse? What year?"
I remember it back to the late 80s but not sure about before then. It was approx a third of the way to Guaymas, a white building always kept freshly whitewashed. It closed around 2005 but I could be wrong about that and it was later. They bought the fresh catch at the docks and then it was delivered to them. The business was geared towards supplying product to grocery stores packaged for the consumer. They also opened to the public for an hour or so after the day's processing was done and they were cleaning up. Mesquite-smoked marlin, sailfish, cabrilla, atun. Yummm. Of course the fish varied with the season. Apparently other processors in big cities began underselling and that spelled the end.

johnmoore

Mana: 
Biscuit, you are correct, that description has jogged my memory. It was there for a long time. Don't know if we ever bought anything from them, as there were a lot of smokers in Shangri-La and then later in Loma Del Mar. I think, tho, the main reason we didn't use them, was they seemed to specialize in game fish, marlin, sail, etc.

C. Croft

Mana: 
Coin operated car wash in SC.

TravelLover

Mana: 
frankiej wrote: here is a picture of me in 1970, i was a junior in high school. i am the guy in the middle, white t-shirts, cut offs!there was nothing on the beaches but sea weed! we picked up all our trash!
Nice pictures! Gracias for sharing them ...

frankiej

Mana: 
i was skinny with full head of non graying hair!!

frankiej

Mana: 
i would like to see our water infrastructure rebuilt!

long time resident

Mana: 
I think the butcher was Lupita. Very short, and always smiling. The Dr was Dr Andreas. Very gentle man, with a lovely red-head for his wife. Remember them well.

frankiej

Mana: 

Last edited on Sat Jun 11th, 2016 05:29 pm by frankiej

TravelLover

Mana: 
ballenamar wrote: I don't worry too much about the beer cans. They always seem to get picked up by someone to sell at a recycle place. It's the bottles and plastics that get me. I've often wondered about making a suggestion to the engineering school at ITSON to have their students build and operate a plastics recycling facility as part of  servicio social requirement.
I won't pick up the beer cans anymore. Or maybe I will put the cans in a clear plastic bag, and leave them for those who sell them. 

long time resident

Mana: 
Someone had mentioned that there was only one doctor in town, and that he owned the farmacia. What was his name....so I answered. Maybe the post was deleted.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems