San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
TELCEL ugh...  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 12th, 2016 08:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Angel

Mana: 
As I understand it, yes, it is unlimited calling whether you are in Mexico, or traveling in the USA or Canada. Have not read the restrictions of how long you can be using the service outside Mexico before they cut you off or start charging you.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Apr 12th, 2016 09:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
aloha

Mana: 
haha ~I never leave ;)  thx again!

Posted: Wed Apr 13th, 2016 03:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
ttaz

Mana: 
Did you have to purchase a new phone?

Posted: Wed Apr 13th, 2016 04:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
you can use your sim card compatible phones from here or the states if they are not blocked by your other carrier. I bought a small smart phone at telcel for 1000 pesos.

Last edited on Wed Apr 13th, 2016 04:27 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Wed Apr 13th, 2016 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
AlS

Mana: 
Did you re-confirm that the roaming limit outside of Mexico is 6 months?

Note that T-Mobile and Sprint's roaming duration limits are quite short - 90 and 60 days outside the USA.

Posted: Thu Apr 21st, 2016 10:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
My partner (a Mexican lady) and I spent a frustrating hour at TelCel this morning trying to figure out the difference between three different plans that permit you to call in the USA, Mexico and Canada. The agent we talked to spoke excellent English. 

Currently I use the regular prepaid Amigo plan which now gives me voice, text, and data in the three countries. I maintain an ongoing balance of about 300 pesos and, through MiTelcel.com, put $200 pesos a month into the account (recurring) via my credit card. It has worked great for me. We spent Semana Santa in the USA and my Telcel signal was strong in most places and I was able to monitor/reply my emails and text messages very nicely. Where my basic Amigo plan differs from the other TelCel plans is in the per minute or per megabyte cost. In the USA/Canada, these costs are higher than in Mexico. Other than that, the service is the same. The only objective one might have for the other international plans is to enjoy the same rates in BOTH Mexico and the USA/Canada.

The other plans are more complicated in the ways you need to pay. For example, "Sin Limites" does not accommodate credit card payments on Mitelcel.com. You must present your money in person either at a TelCel office or Oxxo. When I asked the agent how he suggested that I pay while in the USA, he drew a blank. 

The end result of this very complex discussion was that I will stay with the plan that I have and pay the roaming charges while in the USA. My phone/data usage isn't that much so it isn't a burden in part because I am not in the USA for more that 3 months in any year -- usually shorter. 

As I noted earlier, I do have heavier data needs (I am a scientist) so I am currently using an ATT data hotspot when in the USA at a cost of $50 per month for 5 gig only for the months I am in the USA. 

In all, my way of doing my communication business in two countries is far less complicated (and not that much more cost) than the other options that TElCel offers.
By the way, when I tried to find out if TelCel had any limits on the number of months one could stay in the USA and use their service, I drew a total blank!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 22nd, 2016 01:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
A big update!!!  

After a lot of searching, persistence, and the confusion at the TelCel office today, I think I found the correct information for the various options under the Amigo plan. One such option is international. Here is the mitelecel.com page that displays three options and the pricing for these options. The international non-roaming option is called "Amigo Optimum Plus Without Borders".   

You can see the descriptions at:

https://www.mitelcel.com/mitelcel/micuenta/esquema-cobro  

This set of web pages also permits you to change between the three Amigo options without visiting a TelCel office. 

To do anything, you must be logged into your account at Mitelcel which requires you to register which is done by entering your phone number. Then Telcel sends a text message with a temporary password. In Mitelcel you can check your balance and set up temporary or automatic payment schemes using your credit card.  

If you have Google translator installed in your computer, the whole web site can be viewed in English

NONE OF THIS WAS EXPLAINED TO US AT THE TELCEL OFFICE TODAY !!!!

Last edited on Fri Apr 22nd, 2016 01:51 am by ballenamar

Posted: Fri Apr 22nd, 2016 02:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Angel

Mana: 
I went with two US friends yesterday to get them enrolled in the "Sin Limite", moving their Amigo numbers to said plan. My friends' preference was that of having their credit cards charged automatically for the service. After contract was signed and paid the initial amount (one month in advance, one month as deposit) at their cashier, he then processed their credit cards for the automatic payment. Will ask my friends in a month if the charge came through. We were there more than two hours to complete the whole thing and were there at opening hour.

Last edited on Fri Apr 22nd, 2016 02:12 am by Angel

Posted: Fri Apr 22nd, 2016 04:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
aloha

Mana: 
its exactly as you described,angel thankyou again ;)

Current time is 04:32 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > TELCEL ugh... Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems