San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
AuthorPost
Tex L. Horn

Mana: 
Does anyone have any suggestions on the proper tip for captain on fishing half day charter, Pemex attendants, etc. I usually tip 20 per cent for food and drink, plus or minus depending on service. Thanks.

Susan C

Mana: 
This was edited because of the sad nature of and abusive nature set by a few obviously unhappy individuals. Tex, ask on the fishing board.

Last edited on Sat Dec 5th, 2015 12:00 am by Susan C

JZ

Mana: 
Susan C wrote: At Pemex when they wash my windows usually 5 pesos. When they check my tires and add air 10 pesos.
Lol.  30 cents, really?  That's really being cheap.  20 to 50 pesos is more appropriate.  The other stuff is right.

Last edited on Tue Dec 1st, 2015 07:19 pm by JZ

aloha

Mana: 
i thought the same about the pemex tip. to each his own. i am not a big spender,but i am fair. and i have the loose change. remember what we spent on starbux daily? lol its worth it for them to remember me,have small talk,and I never worry about being screwed.

will rogers

Mana: 
I wash my own windows. I don't go to Starbucks. But hey, if that's all it takes to keep from getting screwed?

390pony

Mana: 
I've never had my truck tires checked when filling at Pemex, and wouldn't want it. But, if they wash my windows, and that is rarely, I tip 10 pesos, more if I have a handful of change.

aloha

Mana: 
good for you will rogers. big time attitude,but whatever ;)

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I usually tip at Pemex whatever the loose change is plus a bit if the windows get washed, etc. 20% or more on food and drink depending on service/server attitude.

RichD

Mana: 
Discussions about tipping seem to always range from 'you are a cheapskate' to 'you are spoiling them'. 50 pesos for washing a windshield? That is an insult to people that work hard for 50 pesos an hour. If you feel like being a big tipper, do it. But don't call others cheap. I have never been with a Mexican that tipped anything at Pemex. Maybe some do.

JZ

Mana: 
RichD wrote: Discussions about tipping seem to always range from 'you are a cheapskate' to 'you are spoiling them'. 50 pesos for washing a windshield? That is an insult to people that work hard for 50 pesos an hour. If you feel like being a big tipper, do it. But don't call others cheap. I have never been with a Mexican that tipped anything at Pemex. Maybe some do.
Tipping 30 cents in cheap, sorry.  The Mexicans I hang with tip.  Not sure who you are hanging with.

RichD

Mana: 
I would rather give money to places like Meson de Jesus that feed hungry people but do what ever you like.

aloha

Mana: 
personally,i can afford to do both. gracias a Dios.i put in many hours
helping at mason de Jesus. but this is comparing apples to oranges.  from me,Pemex guys get loose change. charities get cash ;)

Last edited on Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 08:23 pm by aloha

RichD

Mana: 
That is commendable. It seems the original poster was asking for what is customary. When I first came here I had no idea it was customary to tip those that bag your groceries or pump your gas. Some of the people I hang with are those that work very hard for 50 pesos an hour and I still maintain it is an insult to them to pay someone that already gets a decent salary 50 pesos for 2 minutes work. I see tipping as a way of saying thank you, a courtesy. Others see tipping as a way to ensure good service in the future. Nothing wrong with being generous but I resent the implication that people are cheap if they don't tip at the highest level. Last word on the subject.

Tex L. Horn

Mana: 
We followed Susan's advice on the fishing captain. I tipped 300 pesos for half day fishing trip. He appeared insulted and tossed the pesos onto the seat. I suppose it depends on the recipient.

aloha

Mana: 
wth?? wow,i m saddened by that. I think you chose
 the wrong captain. most of them are knowledgable and gracious and fun. sorry

long time resident

Mana: 
Anyone who is insulted by you giving them money above and beyond what they normally make, should find a job where they make no tips. Money is money, and some work a lot harder for it then others. Not everyone is rich, and to give any extra money is being very generous, no matter what the amount. It is extra, and should be viewed as such. Attitude is everything.

will rogers

Mana: 
I go to the "old" station because people say they are the most honest. I get out of the vehicle and watch them zero the pump. I eventually take the nozzle so I can stop it at a the amount I want. When I have containers filled the amount they get in is usually substantially more then the capacity printed on the container.  The one time I pointed out the difference he shrugged his shoulders. 

JZ

Mana: 
long time resident wrote: Anyone who is insulted by you giving them money above and beyond what they normally make, should find a job where they make no tips. Money is money, and some work a lot harder for it then others. Not everyone is rich, and to give any extra money is being very generous, no matter what the amount. It is extra, and should be viewed as such. Attitude is everything.
Waiters and boat captains count on tips as part of their income.

It's not "extra."  If you don't tip 15-20% to a waiter you shouldn't eat out.

If you don't tip a MX boat captain, you have no business going out on the water.

aloha

Mana: 
i agree JZ. nicely said. hard to argue with that  ;)

JZ

Mana: 
Tex L. Horn wrote: We followed Susan's advice on the fishing captain. I tipped 300 pesos for half day fishing trip. He appeared insulted and tossed the pesos onto the seat. I suppose it depends on the recipient.
That's $18.  She said 500.  Even if you used him for 1/2 day, you took away the opportunity for him to work more.  Surprised he'd act like that, but you did under tip.

People need to take the current exchange rate into consideration.  A lot of the stuff they do is tied to the $.

I know a dozen+ of the MX captains.  Some of the better captains are now expecting 700 to 1000 per day.  500 was always good when it was closer to a 10 to 1 ratio w/the dollar.

Last edited on Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 07:27 pm by JZ

aloha

Mana: 
JZ, thats true about not working the full day. when i have guys come to work for me,they tell me''7-8 hrs of work, for this much $$' took me awhile to get used to the day hires vs hourly. I think the captain didn't understand. its definitely a cultural difference. good info that I will remember. thx

will rogers

Mana: 
Is that 700p to 1000p per day per person on top of what you are paying for the boat?

maryt

Mana: 
I get my whole car (outside) washed for 40 pesos in Guaymas. I sincerely doubt that 40-50 pesos is customary for Pemex workers.

aloha

Mana: 
maybe so,but that's not the norm for a car wash,either.i did not see where it was written somebody is paying 40-50p propina.

Last edited on Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 11:04 pm by aloha

El Suizo

Mana: 
http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2008-11-11/etiquette-101-tipping-guide

El Suizo

Mana: 
Just imagine at a Pemex station how many cars stop to get gas in one day.
I believe it's a good amount of cars now multiply that by the amount you are tipping the person filling your tank.... Maybe soon every Mexican wants to work at the gas station
Depending which calculation we publish.

Tex L. Horn

Mana: 
I assumed, obviously wrongfully, that 300 pesos would be sufficient for a half day if 500 pesos was proper for a full day. I paid 450 dollars for the charter and thought the captain would be reasonably compensated.

RichD

Mana: 
So what is the 'customary' tip for a half day charter? I think people would like to know in advance before deciding on entertainment alternatives.

nice guy

Mana: 
what's a half day in a boat cost?

will rogers

Mana: 
I'm waiting for JZ to tell us how it works. It's expensive to rent the boat with a captain. The captain is getting paid that amount if he is the owner or getting paid by the owner. Then say there are four people renting the boat. Each of the four people are expected to tip the captain 700 to 1000 pesos. Pretty good money. No thanks.

long time resident

Mana: 
So if I am renting a charter boat, I am thinking that the captain is being paid by the owner of the boat, or if he is the owner then he is making $450 dollars for the half day. If I am fishing, I am more then happy to tip to have my fish cleaned.
If I am eating out, then I expect service for the tip I am paying. If the service is lacking (which seems to happen a lot in San Carlos), then I do not tip 15 - 20 % but less. If you are the only table in the place, and it takes them 20 minutes to go to your table to see what you might want to drink, then I consider it bad service. Tip means To Insure Promptness.
I have no problem tipping more then expected if the service is exceptional.
I always tip to have my windows cleaned, about 10 or 15 pesos, and seeing as they are only doing the windshield, that is good money.

JZ

Mana: 
will rogers wrote: Then say there are four people renting the boat. Each of the four people are expected to tip the captain 700 to 1000 pesos. Pretty good money. No thanks.
Of course it's not per person.

JZ

Mana: 
long time resident wrote: So if I am renting a charter boat, I am thinking that the captain is being paid by the owner of the boat, or if he is the owner then he is making $450 dollars for the half day.
It's expected to tip the captain, has been since the first time I came here 13 years ago, and I'm sure long before that.

If you aren't, guarantee you every Mexican at the marina thinks you are a very cheap gringo.

$450?  Do you know the price of gas and how much a boat burns?

Last edited on Thu Dec 3rd, 2015 07:56 pm by JZ

390pony

Mana: 
$450 wouldn't fill my boat's tank.

will rogers

Mana: 
Of course, that's why I asked you to clarify. Was TEX by himself when he tipped 200P? If there were four on the boat and each tipped 200p the total is 800p, which is in your range.

marlin master

Mana: 
The tip for the boat Capitan should be 10% of what the charter cost. That is pretty standard worldwide for hunting or fishing trips. So, 450 pesos would have been the correct tip. Although I will say, depending on how many people, and the size of the boat, that 450.00 usd is pretty steep for a half day trip for around here.

Last edited on Fri Dec 4th, 2015 01:56 am by marlin master

RichD

Mana: 
Thank you marlin master, that is useful information. 10% or $45US is more like 750 pesos but if 10% is the customary tip for a boat captain then people can plan accordingly. Fun costs money and it is expensive to operate a boat. When you pay that kind of money hoping to have a fun half day of fishing, the last thing you want is to end the day with a bad experience.

ghowarth

Mana: 
To put things in perspective----

Minimum DAILY wage for Sonora, Mexico - 70.10 pesos (48 hour week)
Typical DAILY wage for a machinist - 200 to 500 pesos.
Typical DAILY wage for bi-lingual secretary - 400 to 800 pesos.
Typical DAILY wage for Quality Manager - 800 to 1400 pesos.

aloha

Mana: 
:(

will rogers

Mana: 
It would be interesting to know how many people were on the charter with Tex. With the tipping information given here, if Tex was by himself and tipped 200p, the captain has a gripe. If there were other people and they all tipped to a total of over 700p then the captain is a spoiled whiner.

long time resident

Mana: 
He said he tipped 300 not 200. Most of the captains I know in the marina are paid a very good wage for what they do, and many boat owners are hardly ever here full time, so there are many days the captain has off. Depending on who they work for, it is a pretty good job, with great pay. I wonder if the captains on Gary's boats get tipped on the margarita cruises they do? Many that go on a margarita cruise would not even think to tip for the ride, seeing as they are paying a lot of money for the short cruise. Everything in perspective. If the owner of the vessel is charging a lot of money for the boat ride, they should pay their captains accordingly.

aloha

Mana: 
that is what we are attempting to determine. how much does a boat captain get paid? why the big mystery? many people come here and have no clue where to begin with protocol as far as  daily tipping,much less cruise/fishing propina etc. would be good info to have.

390pony

Mana: 
I have asked my captain about the correct pay. My boat is Tiburon Ballena and we use it go diving. We usually head out about 10 am and are back about 2 pm. If we go to Ensenada Grande or San Pedro Nolasco we would get back about an hour later. After we get back, he washes the boat down. For that, I've been paying him 400 pesos, although I recently upped it to 500. I've asked him several times if that amount is good and he always has said yes. When I'm not in San Carlos, he captains on a fishing boat and he said he gets $100 for a full day.

He does love being the captain on my boat, so that adds to his pay somewhat, I believe. I also pay him the full amount for the day he has the boat pulled since he flushes the engines and washes it down completely. He does a lot of work voluntarily on the boat, too, and I also have helped him out in different ways.

When we take friends out, I always suggest to them that they tip him, and that's never a problem. The standard tip has been $20 a day, although I've never mentioned an amount to them. He helps carry and set up our gear.

I'm lucky to have him, he is great!

Last edited on Sat Dec 5th, 2015 06:08 pm by 390pony

aloha

Mana: 
great info. keeping in mind that you have a good working relationship and are friends also. thx

will rogers

Mana: 
You are switching back and forth from pesos to dollars. You pay him 500p a day equals about 30 dollars. So,the total tip is 20 dollars no matter how many people? Thanks.

390pony

Mana: 
I don't tip my boat captain, I pay him. It's a cigarette boat so I never have more than two extra people beyond my husband and me. My friends are generous in their tipping because they always have a blast with us. They also contribute greatly to buying fuel for the boat. The normal diving tip is $5 per tank on a boat trip, so the $20 for the two of them is correct. They would be paying $200+ for them to go with one of the shops and they still would have that $20 tip to pay.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
I have never seen a mexican pay anyone at Pemex for pumping gas.
I have also never seen one give more than 10 pesos to wash a car window at a station or on the street.
Boat captains depend on how hard they work. 0% for a boat ride with little effort, up to $200 dlls a day for capain and mate if you feel they were worth it.

JZ

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: I have never seen a mexican pay anyone at Pemex for pumping gas.
I have also never seen one give more than 10 pesos to wash a car window at a station or on the street.

I've seen it every time I've been in Mexico.

marlin master

Mana: 
The Average half day charter here in San Carlos ( even with some of the best fisherman in town) is about 300.00 usd. I don't know what boat you went out on, but the cost of 450.00 usd seemed a little over the average. RichD was right, if 10% is the common rate of tip,and with the current exchange rate, should have been around 700 pesos, which in my humble opinion is too high. Your 300 peso tip might have been a little too low, but he should not have an additude about it.

aloha

Mana: 
great answer MM. i am saving this info for future reference. people always ask...now i have an answer. thx~

RichD

Mana: 
That seems reasonable MM. A charter fishing boat captain is a step above someone who just drives the boat IMO. I think you pay a little more for the expertise of putting you on fish.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems