San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
tipping  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 5th, 2015 02:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
long time resident

Mana: 
He said he tipped 300 not 200. Most of the captains I know in the marina are paid a very good wage for what they do, and many boat owners are hardly ever here full time, so there are many days the captain has off. Depending on who they work for, it is a pretty good job, with great pay. I wonder if the captains on Gary's boats get tipped on the margarita cruises they do? Many that go on a margarita cruise would not even think to tip for the ride, seeing as they are paying a lot of money for the short cruise. Everything in perspective. If the owner of the vessel is charging a lot of money for the boat ride, they should pay their captains accordingly.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Dec 5th, 2015 03:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
aloha

Mana: 
that is what we are attempting to determine. how much does a boat captain get paid? why the big mystery? many people come here and have no clue where to begin with protocol as far as  daily tipping,much less cruise/fishing propina etc. would be good info to have.

Posted: Sat Dec 5th, 2015 04:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
390pony

Mana: 
I have asked my captain about the correct pay. My boat is Tiburon Ballena and we use it go diving. We usually head out about 10 am and are back about 2 pm. If we go to Ensenada Grande or San Pedro Nolasco we would get back about an hour later. After we get back, he washes the boat down. For that, I've been paying him 400 pesos, although I recently upped it to 500. I've asked him several times if that amount is good and he always has said yes. When I'm not in San Carlos, he captains on a fishing boat and he said he gets $100 for a full day.

He does love being the captain on my boat, so that adds to his pay somewhat, I believe. I also pay him the full amount for the day he has the boat pulled since he flushes the engines and washes it down completely. He does a lot of work voluntarily on the boat, too, and I also have helped him out in different ways.

When we take friends out, I always suggest to them that they tip him, and that's never a problem. The standard tip has been $20 a day, although I've never mentioned an amount to them. He helps carry and set up our gear.

I'm lucky to have him, he is great!

Last edited on Sat Dec 5th, 2015 05:08 pm by 390pony

Posted: Sat Dec 5th, 2015 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
aloha

Mana: 
great info. keeping in mind that you have a good working relationship and are friends also. thx

Posted: Sat Dec 5th, 2015 05:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
You are switching back and forth from pesos to dollars. You pay him 500p a day equals about 30 dollars. So,the total tip is 20 dollars no matter how many people? Thanks.

Posted: Sat Dec 5th, 2015 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
390pony

Mana: 
I don't tip my boat captain, I pay him. It's a cigarette boat so I never have more than two extra people beyond my husband and me. My friends are generous in their tipping because they always have a blast with us. They also contribute greatly to buying fuel for the boat. The normal diving tip is $5 per tank on a boat trip, so the $20 for the two of them is correct. They would be paying $200+ for them to go with one of the shops and they still would have that $20 tip to pay.

Posted: Sun Dec 6th, 2015 02:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I have never seen a mexican pay anyone at Pemex for pumping gas.
I have also never seen one give more than 10 pesos to wash a car window at a station or on the street.
Boat captains depend on how hard they work. 0% for a boat ride with little effort, up to $200 dlls a day for capain and mate if you feel they were worth it.

Posted: Sun Dec 6th, 2015 09:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: I have never seen a mexican pay anyone at Pemex for pumping gas.
I have also never seen one give more than 10 pesos to wash a car window at a station or on the street.

I've seen it every time I've been in Mexico.

Posted: Tue Dec 8th, 2015 12:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
marlin master

Mana: 
The Average half day charter here in San Carlos ( even with some of the best fisherman in town) is about 300.00 usd. I don't know what boat you went out on, but the cost of 450.00 usd seemed a little over the average. RichD was right, if 10% is the common rate of tip,and with the current exchange rate, should have been around 700 pesos, which in my humble opinion is too high. Your 300 peso tip might have been a little too low, but he should not have an additude about it.

Posted: Tue Dec 8th, 2015 12:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
50th Post
aloha

Mana: 
great answer MM. i am saving this info for future reference. people always ask...now i have an answer. thx~

Posted: Tue Dec 8th, 2015 01:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
51st Post
RichD

Mana: 
That seems reasonable MM. A charter fishing boat captain is a step above someone who just drives the boat IMO. I think you pay a little more for the expertise of putting you on fish.

Current time is 09:18 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > tipping Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems