San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
How's August  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2005 02:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jaco

Mana: 
I am just trying to get some information to plan a trip in the first half of the month of august.  My family usually visits at the beginning of the summer or around march, but are thinking about visiting in August.  What is the weather like, is it really really humid?  How are the jelly fish in this time of year, also the man-o-war?
    Thanks for any information.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2005 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JZ

Mana: 
It is really really humid and hot.  If you get out on the water it is not that bad.  Jelly Fish are always hit or miss.  If you swim a lot, someone will get stung.  But it is usually very mild.  Just watch for them.  I wouldn't be that concerned.

I personally love SC in August.  But you must be prepared for the heat/humidity!

Last edited on Wed Nov 9th, 2005 09:57 pm by JZ

Posted: Thu Nov 10th, 2005 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
IronMan

Mana: 
JZ,

Are you formerly from Mexicali, or Brownsville!!!! It is REALLY HOT AND HUMID!!! I was raised in Phoenix, so heat does not bother me, but the humidity is the pits. You walk out of the airconditioning at 4AM, and if you wear glasses, you are blinded by fog and hit with an almost 90 degree brick wall of humid air. I used three changes of clothing a day from sweating in them. It is only for the hearty, or, like me, stupid fishermen.

GO NOW!!!! It is the most pleasant weather I have ever seen there!

Craig :D

Posted: Thu Nov 10th, 2005 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Nope, definetly not from there.  From the mid-west, where there is a little bit of humidity in the summer, but nothing like SC.

It's not like you are going to be wearing a shirt and tie down here.  95% of the time you are wearing shorts and no shirt!  I spent all day on the boat, and often there is a breeze, or you swim, or drive around a little.

Posted: Fri Apr 7th, 2006 03:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dolphin lady

Mana: 
I beg to differ!  There can be tons of jelly fish and sometimes the stings can be so terrible (man of war), but usually if you swim before 10 am the jellies are scarce.
If one buys a skin (one piece neoprene, lightweight suit) the jellies can't go through those and they are great!  Then it's not so much of a problem.
The sting rays can be rather awful as well.
But the weather can be wonderful and cloudy for monsoon and windy/breezy, or it can be hot, sticky and humid.
All in all, it's great knowing there is air conditioning in the condo and if it's a really lousy sticky, cut thick in air humidity day, one can relax inside with a book.

Posted: Fri Apr 7th, 2006 06:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Differ?   I don't notice much difference in your post than mine!

95% of the time the stings are pretty minor.  Only once in countless hours of swimming (off shore) I've gotten more than a mild sting.  I got it pretty bad once on my back.  But even than it just stung a bit and itched a lot.

Last edited on Sat Apr 8th, 2006 09:17 am by JZ

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2006 02:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
merrilld

Mana: 
I think the jelly fish sting depends on the person.   One individual I dive with is allergic to bee stings as well as jellyfish stings.  He has to have his epinephrine available with him for the just in case.

Jellyfish stings use to be pretty minor with me.  However, last August I had a jellyfish sting on my knee and the pain traveled all the way up to my groin.  I thought I was going to die.  Never before had jellyfish affected me as much as the last time.  I took a double dose of Benadryl which helped.  And I used a half bottle of vinegar on the sting.  I think each time I get stung, the affect on me gets worse.

My observation is that there are more jellyfish when the water is hot, ie July and August.  I don’t recall seeing any jellyfish in the winter months.  So wear protection accordingly.

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2006 09:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Good point.

Posted: Wed Apr 12th, 2006 11:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jacquie

Mana: 
As we have never been to SC in the summer, I would appreciate some further clarification on the Jellyfish issue. Are they just an occasional nuisance, or does one literally have to stay out of the water after 10 AM in the hot summer months? Are they a problem near the shore line, or only in deeper water?  Thanks

Posted: Wed Apr 12th, 2006 11:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Jacquie wrote: As we have never been to SC in the summer, I would appreciate some further clarification on the Jellyfish issue. Are they just an occasional nuisance, or does one literally have to stay out of the water after 10 AM in the hot summer months? Are they a problem near the shore line, or only in deeper water?  Thanks
Occasional nuisance.  Just watch for them, most times they are pretty easy to see.  We swim all the time in the bays off the boat.

Posted: Thu Apr 13th, 2006 03:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
merrilld

Mana: 
I would agree with JZ.  

All my dives are boat dives, and occasionally  we would go to another dive site if there are too many jellyfish at a dive site.  The jellyfish are man-o-war, floating on the surface, blue (~1” in diameter), generally ~6" tentacles (however, I have seen up to 2’+ tentacles)   Sometimes tentacles would break off and they would be in mid-water.  I would recommend wearing protection such as a 2mm wetsuit or lycra or skin if you are going to dive in the Aug timeframe.

Last edited on Sun Apr 16th, 2006 01:09 pm by merrilld

Posted: Sat Apr 15th, 2006 11:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Sorry to nit-pic but.......

The stinging jellies here are Pacific Man-of-War.  See this link.

http://www.rockhounds.com/bkeller/sharks/jellyf1.html

Portuguese are much more dangerous and much larger.

The Pacific is easier to spot as they float on or very near the surface.

They are about an inch in diameter but tentacles are usually no longer than 6 inches.

I have been stung many times and it is no fun but it is no reason not to go.

A lycra skin is usually enough protection but they are still worth avoiding.

Most of the times you will never encounter them -- don't worry.

By the way, my vote is to come between June 15 and July 15 or wait until mid October if you have trouble dealing with oppressive heat.

Rich 

Posted: Sun Apr 16th, 2006 12:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
merrilld

Mana: 
Thanks Rich for the correction.  I’ve updated/edited my earlier post.  

I’ve been diving SC for about 10 years, and my observation has also been that the man-of-war jellyfish tentacles are about 6” long.  However last Aug, 2005, the jellyfish surprised me in that we found man-of-war jellyfish with tentacles that were about 2’ long.   I realize there is a magnification affect under water, but I’m certain the tentacles were ~2’ (compared length with boat platform/out-drive).   It really surprised me on their length.

Also, during the week of diving we saw 3 blue jellyfish, 4” in diameter (round/bell shaped/U shaped), no air sack, no visible tentacles (observed from the surface), swimming (pulsating) horizontally in mid-water (~2’ deep).  This was the first time I have ever seen this type of jellyfish in SC.  I’ve searched the web, but could not find them.  Anyone know what they are?

Posted: Sun Apr 16th, 2006 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
JZ

Mana: 
merrilld wrote: Also, during the week of diving we saw 3 blue jellyfish, 4” in diameter (round/bell shaped/U shaped), no air sack, no visible tentacles (observed from the surface), swimming (pulsating) horizontally in mid-water (~2’ deep).  This was the first time I have ever seen this type of jellyfish in SC.  I’ve searched the web, but could not find them.  Anyone know what they are?

Last year around July there where thousands (no joke) of jellyfish floating in Algodones about 300 yards off the beach in 15-20' of water.  They were as you described, about 4-5" in diameter, solid ball shape, no visible tentacles, and purplish-blue color.  We saw a band of them probably a mile long.  Weird stuff.

There was a thread on here about them last year, but I can't find it.  I wonder if things get deleted after some amount of time.

Last edited on Sun Apr 16th, 2006 08:51 pm by JZ

Posted: Tue Apr 18th, 2006 08:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
WA

Mana: 
Have been diving SC for many years and these guys do show up sometimes one or two, or as stated in the thousands. I also searched a bit and could not find the proper name for them. Softball Jellies was the as close as a name as I have gotten.

I have seen them lying on the bottom near Deer Island with chunks taken out by  turtles.

Posted: Wed Apr 19th, 2006 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
aguamales is the name we know them by-spelling may not be correct.
Bart
PS- the other post was on the old style boards-none of that moved to this board
bw

Posted: Sun Apr 23rd, 2006 02:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Kristin

Mana: 
I live here year round and I just have to say....if I were going to leave at any time of the year, it would definetly be AUGUST

Posted: Sun Apr 23rd, 2006 03:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Phantom

Mana: 
Hey Merrilld, I think those jellies might be a member of the Moon Jellyfish family? There quite cool to watch from under them. There is a neat web site that has the most of the jellies in the SOC.      jellieszone.com/pelagiaphoto.htm   or pelagia photography.     BJ    

Posted: Sun Apr 23rd, 2006 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
AquaBunny

Mana: 
We saw these jellies last year for several months.   After research, we decided they were cannonbal jellies. 

Posted: Mon May 1st, 2006 10:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
I dove in March.  The water was so cold, that many of the other divers jumped right back in the boat.

I did notice a large number of non-stinging jellyfish.  They were everywhere.  It was really beautiful to watch them.

The Man-o-War will be back when the water gets warm.  How many there will be is unknown.  The chance of getting stung gets lower as you decend.  I have not been stung much below 30 feet.

Current time is 12:15 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > How's August Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems