San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
AuthorPost
PQ Almada

Mana: 
I ran into this..they say it was caught in kino bay

Last edited on Mon Apr 16th, 2012 04:22 pm by PQ Almada

Kip F

Mana: 
Fernando,
holy smokes
did you shoot these pictures,in Kino?

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
WOW! Comparing it to the panga, looks like 18' or more. Beeeeg shark! (You're gonna need a bigger boat!)

Bart

PQ Almada

Mana: 
Kip,

I did not take this shots...i ran into those pictures on facebook, a freind of mine from Hermosillo that has a local TV show posted them

monster fish!

Horse N Around

Mana: 
its OK The Mayor of Kino Bay said its safe to go back in the water!!!!

nightwing28

Mana: 
NOW, I know I am leaving for SC from Kino tomorrow!!!! I'll check it out with a couple of Mexicano friends from old Kino.

IronMan

Mana: 
Shimano has a new "ride on" Waxwing towable for those with misbehaving children....

Rada

Mana: 
It was apparently caught at El Choyudo, just south of Tastiota, the coordinates show the same rocks as the third photo: 28°19'8.93"N 111°27'17.34"W

Last edited on Tue Apr 17th, 2012 06:44 am by Rada

nightwing28

Mana: 
yeah, I was looking at the rocks and buildings in the background and they do not look familiar (around Kino), but it certainly could be Choyudo...

Srussert

Mana: 
That is a huge fish. Do you see now why humans are meant for being on land? Two tons of shark coming at you at a top speed of around 15 miles an hour. Ha! I think the next time I am in Kino I'll stick to soaking in the sun on the beach! Spectacular shark, thanks for the pics!

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
According to this article in El Imparcial, the shark got caught in a net and was dead when the fisherman discovered it.  5 meters long and 1 ton, according to the article.

http://www.elimparcial.com/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/17042012/585770.aspx

Bart

NancyB

Mana: 
GEE WHIZ ... NOW I DON'T EVER WANT TO LEAVE MY SAILBOAT! THIS IS SCARY WHEN YOU SEE IT'S SIZE AND THE PEOPLE AROUND IT. NO CHANCE TO WIN ANY KIND OF BATTLE WITH THAT BABY!

sue-she

Mana: 
Just wondering. What do you do with a shark like that? I mean is someone going to eat it?

WahooSean

Mana: 
Hey IRONMAN! You wanna go jigging at Isla Tibiron? bring lots whiskey, some dive tanks, and a .30-06. Oh and a Bigger Boat.

I bet that guys is the one eating all the Swordfish in the SOC!

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
For sue-she: All those folks in the photo are most likely pangueros or subsistence fisherman. Suspect that big shark is all divided up by now. :)

Here is some more news on this catch: a 20 footer!!!

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/33361/enormous+great+white+shark+hauled+up+by+sea+of+cortez+fishermen/

Last edited on Wed Apr 18th, 2012 10:16 pm by bartmanaz

IronMan

Mana: 
WahooSean wrote: Hey IRONMAN! You wanna go jigging at Isla Tibiron? bring lots whiskey, some dive tanks, and a .30-06. Oh and a Bigger Boat.

I bet that guys is the one eating all the Swordfish in the SOC!

Hi Sean,

I think I'd use a surfboard with a sharpened 3 prong rock anchor for a hook as a surface jig! Either that, or a whole turkey instead of a Turkey Slider!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!

polarosoman

Mana: 
Does anyone know anything more about this GW shark that was caught in Guaymas? This is pretty sad. A creature that big and amazing sure didn't deserve that.

Last edited on Mon Apr 23rd, 2012 02:40 pm by bartmanaz

Ian948

Mana: 
It was not Guaymas - but north ( Choyudo ) sp ? ( Near Kino area )

Caught in a net by accident , and dead when hauled in - not much fun for the fishermen as the bureaucrats are all over them , agree sad for the shark and us as it was an awesome specimen .

I was at the next village down the coast friday from where it was landed and it was pretty clear to me the locals believed it was an unintentional catch - we don't know if enough of the carcass survived filleting to allow a post mortem to figure cause of death but the authorities were very active from what I was told.

Puts a whole new spin on kayaking offshore :-)

Last edited on Mon Apr 23rd, 2012 02:20 am by Ian948

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Topics merged

ClintandJanet

Mana: 
Just want to ask the old timer, experienced boaters around here, how often in the last 10 years has a big shark been seen in this middle Sea of Cortez area near shore? What would u guess the age of this shark is?

Catch-22

Mana: 
I have seen A Large Great White Shark in the SOC. at least
one time per year for the Past 3 years, Probably this one.
to Bad..Never Close to shore.

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
As far as age is concerned, based on the length (even guess-timated at 18'+), this would be a mature animal at least 15 years old. See Great White Shark on wikipedia for more info.

Agree with Steve-several reports over the years of large GWS in the Sea of Cortez. Only ones I've heard of that were close to a shore were near San Pedro Island in fall/winter.

trace501

Mana: 
Does anyone know the origin of these photos?

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
See post #4

HorizontalPirate

Mana: 
makes you wonder if its the same one that got posted here a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EILDgOFieIs

Catch-22

Mana: 
My best guess Yes, I think the GW. I have seen over the past 3 years, the Video, & the Shark from Kino are one in the same. to bad She's gone

Game on

Steve

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems