San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
First timer trailer-sailing in Sonora  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Nov 24th, 2011 01:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Sumner

Mana: 
Hook wrote: Sumner:

IMO, if there is a way you could get dropped in Kino and then end up your trip in San Carlos, it would be the way to go.................
EDIT: I guess one option would be to leave the trailer in Kino and then simply hire someone to drive you to Kino from San Carlos. A slip for a day for you would probably be about 15.00.?

Thanks for the info and I'll make a copy of it.  I kind of doubt that we will make this trip until we tire of the Endeavour we have in Florida now and then hopefully we are not too old :(.  We are keeping the Mac for trips that we need to trailer too so will have her even when the Endeavour has gone to  a new home.

Hopefully your good info will help someone else also, thanks,

Sum and Ruth

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Nov 29th, 2011 04:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
matthepp

Mana: 
Okay, we're back form our Thanksgiving Week sailing trip to Kino.  Mostly we had a great time but there were a few hassles.  The big lesson I learned is that it's NOT worth the border delays to bring in a boat for a week unless your tow vehicle, trailer, and boat paperwork (title and registration) is perfect.  We cobbled together what we hoped would be good enough.  It was, eventually, but hours were spent both going in and out of Nogales while officials dragged their feet and pondered.  The only reason we even needed the paperwork was to get though the checkpoint right there at Km 21.  We stayed at Islandia Marina in Kino Viejo.  Saul there is a wealth of local knowledge.  He has a 4wd Toyota and managed to launch and haul out our single axle Catalina 22 on the sketchiest ramp I've ever seen!  We had perfect conditions sailing to and from Isla Tiburon.  We anchored in Bahia de Los Perros (Dog Bay) at the south end of the island in 1 fathom with a sandy bottom.  Had a blast snorkelling for clams, caracoles, sand dollars, etc.  Even caught a few small tuna (I think) while sailing.  The current warnings are to be heeded.  We stayed over an extra day while the wind was blowing over 20 knots.  A short day-sail in current-driven waves packed a whole days worth of sailing adventure into 45 minutes.  The next day good wind conditions and appropriate tide timing changed everything.  The only bad side of our sailing trip was that we quickly went through the beer rations and made it back to the mainland with just a few fingers of tequila left!

Attachment: islandia launch.gif (Downloaded 38 times)

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2011 01:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Sumner

Mana: 
Matt thanks for the update on the trip and glad that overall it was a good one. 

Where exactly was the ramp?  Do you have a GPS position by any chance ?

Thanks,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2011 02:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
matthepp

Mana: 
Sumner,
The Islandia ramp is maybe 200 yards NW down the beach from the pier that you posted the pic of.  I'll bet you could put your Mac 26 in there.

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2011 02:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Sumner

Mana: 
matthepp wrote: Sumner,
The Islandia ramp is maybe 200 yards NW down the beach from the pier that you posted the pic of.  I'll bet you could put your Mac 26 in there.

Thanks, I thought it must be somewhere in that area from the directions to the place on their web site.  Would you feel good leaving a vehicle there for a month or so if they do that for a fee?

Thanks,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2011 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
matthepp

Mana: 
Sumner,
I'm sure your vehicle would be fine.  There are lots of gringo RV's that spend the year there.  They lock up at night, and Larry the night guard is very proficient with his slingshot.  I'll bet they would drive your rig down to San Carlos if you go one-way per Hook's suggestion.
I enjoyed your shots from Hite.  Can't wait to do a trip down there next fall.  It's pretty close to us (relatively).

Attachment: infiernillo crossing.jpg (Downloaded 34 times)

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2011 04:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Sumner

Mana: 
matthepp wrote: Sumner,
I'm sure your vehicle would be fine......
I enjoyed your shots from Hite.  Can't wait to do a trip down there next fall.  It's pretty close to us (relatively).
Thanks and when you go to Hite and come thru Blanding on 191 look us up.  We are easy to find, just across from the Super 8. 

We were driving up to Monticello the other day and it was so clear that we could see the mountain range just to the east of 550 between Ouray and you, 80-90 miles away.  I'd taken Ruth over there a couple years ago and pointed that out to her.

The other thing is that if we are home when you go we might be able to ferry your vehicle for you between say Hite and Halls Crossing.  We put in down at Page and then had a friend take our tow vehicle home and we called him when we got to Halls and he brought it back out and picked us up. 

We still want to finish our 'sail the length of Lake Powell' deal and might do that next fall if things work out, but I've promised Ruth a road trip and she wants to do the length of 191 from Mexico to Canada.  I've done a lot of it at different times here and there, but never the whole route.  Tons of things to see on 191 in AZ, Ut, Wyo. and MT,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Last edited on Wed Nov 30th, 2011 04:25 pm by Sumner

Current time is 02:11 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > First timer trailer-sailing in Sonora Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems