View single post by Steverhnm
 Posted: Fri May 5th, 2017 10:48 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Steverhnm

Mana: 
First of all, I am not an expert, just a guy that has been through it, sharing info. For expert advice I recommend seeing one of the boat brokers in San Carlos. That being said...

While I am sure it used to be that you could only have one TIP per person, I think they may be changing it.  There should never be two TIPs on one boat.  If you had a handwritten TIP, it is most likely you are not in the computer system but I hear they keep pretty good records down at Banjercito in Guaymas. I know getting a TIP on the Internet, sent to your home via DHL, is extremely easy.  Mexico is getting much more "interconnected" these days via computerization of records.  So if something is on a computer written record, I would be attentive to its "status".  You are responsible for getting the TIP and you can't do it until you have the title transferred to your name. The previous owner is responsible for closing out his old TIP (but you will suffer if he does not). I would suggest he does not close it until you get your clear title and apply for yours and get it. That way the boat is never without a TIP. Give a copy of the TIP to the storage location and keep it on your boat.

Regarding purchasing the boat. If you "purchaser in Mexico" you will be paying an import tax, you won't need a TIP, and I have no clue as to the actual ramifications of being a citizen of a foreign country owning a boat titled in Mexico. I would not do it unless you were living there permanently.

Typically the transaction is performed in the US, between two US citizens, using a US escrow agent, i.e., Pacific Maritime, and the USCG Documentation number transferred to the new owner as part of the title transfer. You get a Captain's letter" in the meantime while the transaction is taking place. It is a transaction in the USA, you take delivery "offshore" (in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico), keep it offshore for 180 days, and you don't have to pay taxes or register in a state (avoiding state registration fees and taxes. I recommend this route, as they search for liens, and boats are notorious for liens from marinas for unpaid slip or work fees. My boat had liens that were shown as paid (almost $8K) at one point in San Diego. If it get brought to the US and there is a lien, you will be sorry...

Regarding a Captain's Note... Anytime you are captain of a boat on the water and you are not the owner of record, you need a "Maritime Letter of Permission", both in English and Spanish stating you are allowed to have the boat in your possession. Basically it should be both languages on one page, states that "owner of vessel, vessel name, USCG# authorizes (the person using the boat) permission to act as captain, grant full authority to move, repair, or take any other action or use the boat as he/she desires in Mexican water for a period of xx months ending xx date. Signed and dated by owner, preferably notarized. They love official stamps.

It's pretty simple, those are the words almost verbatim from mine. If you are uncomfortable with that, again, a local broker can help. Don't go out without one, the Mexican Navy can and may stop you out there.

So there you have it, if you have additional questions regarding a TIP, I would talk to Silvia at the Marina San Carlos, she is pretty darn savvy on the TIP situation down there, or you can PM me...

Last edited on Fri May 5th, 2017 10:54 pm by Steverhnm