View single post by Biscuit
 Posted: Sat Nov 14th, 2009 11:35 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Biscuit

Mana: 
Vince, there are a few preservation projects around but I'll have to look them up to get the names right. Tucson dive groups have been doing population evals for at least 30 years, as has the oceonagraphy staff at U of A. Don Thompson has spent his life studying the nearly-extinct Vaquita and it's habitat, and an intl Billfish Preservation org operates in the lower Sea of Cortez. They'd come north if there was enough interest in habitat preservation. Let's see... there's also an oarfish population and preservation movement in the upper reaches, and probably a few others I can't think of at the moment. In the early 90s the AZ-Sonora Desert Museum tried to start a pretection project in the SC area but it never got off the ground. I was involved in that one but we divers couldn't convince ASDM that experienced divers were needed so that the areas wouldn't be damaged by carelessness such as finning as we wroked. I think there's still a project to preserve the San Pedro Iguana population too. None of the existing projects I've mentioned are very well-known but they do claim that the Mexican govt is onboard.

Last edited on Sun Nov 15th, 2009 01:18 am by