View single post by ldalbin
 Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 05:02 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
ldalbin

Mana: 
    "Make sure the boat was designed, built and has been maintained for open-ocean sailing. You don't want to be trusting your life to a boat designed for lake sailing."
      So this is what Latitude 38's advice is for buying a sailboat to cruise the Sea of Cortez.  Sounds good to me, a novice-ignorant soon to spend a couple months sailing the Sea.  So, as I try to educate myself, how do I know what to look for, what to avoid in buying an inexpensive sailboat? 
I'm planning on doing this inexpensively.  Don't desire lots of creature comforts, just basic, safe transportation on the water that meets the needs of getting around for a couple months: place to sleep, cook, reasonable head. 
         my background: Am a basic do-it-yourself type.  Want things functional, relaxing but for comparison:  when traveling on my motorcycle am happier finding a deserted place where I'll be left alone to unroll my sleeping bag rather than getting a motel room. 
           Any suggestions?  Brand names or style/types boats to seek or avoid?
I do plan to take a course or two from Vince prior to taking off on my own, to supplement my lake day-sail experience.
thanks,
L D A

Attached Image (viewed 343 times):

VivBaja.jpg