View single post by bahiatrader
 Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 07:08 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
bahiatrader

Mana: 
     I've been hearing all kinds of remedies for jellyfish stings for years.  For good information, go to:   http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic199.htm  It has pretty complete coverage of the problem by David Cheng, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Emergency Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Cornell University.  Dr. Cheng says to rinse the affected area with saline solution (seawater will do in a pinch, but it contains microorganisms and possible pathogens) and antiseptics.  To quote his article:

"Soak the wound in 5% acetic acid for 15-30 minutes to further inhibit nematocyte discharge. Although acetic acid inhibits nematocytes, it does not provide pain relief. Other possible inhibitors include 70% isopropyl alcohol or the papain found in meat tenderizer to denature the proteinase toxins. Unfortunately, these other inhibitors have little effect on nonproteinaceous toxins. " 

Vinegar contains acetic acid.  It may not stop the pain, but it sure helps it from getting worse.   I always carry a bottle of vinegar on the boat with me.  Another option in a pinch might be to squeeze a lemon or a lime on the wound for the citric acid.  Maybe I ought to bring along a bottle of tequila as a possible inhibitor.  Lime and tequila?  Jose Cuervo could be a friend of mine...:)