View single post by Bullshipper
 Posted: Mon Nov 11th, 2019 11:40 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Bullshipper

Mana: 
maryt wrote: Doesn´t it seem like middle or upper class Mexicans buying homes here are often buying 2nd homes and often come from Ciudad Obregón or Hermosillo. Both those cities have more problems with violence than we do.

??

Boy, I would say that the the serious crime is much worse now in Guaymas and Empalme than its ever been in Hermosillo or Obregon in total number of incidents and crimes per capita. I lived in Hermosillo for 18 years in the late 70-90's and spend most of my weekends there now with family.

I hear very little nervous chatter from my Mexican friends and politicians, and I really believe that fear is still not a significant factor for Mexican home buyers.

But every american I speak to in the states they immediately bring up how I am constant danger and nuts to be here, and this has been the case since the late 80's. 

Pena Nieto and Televisa had a vigorous campain to squelch most of the crime stories during his sixenio, but the US press will run ongoing stories for weeks about the same incident.

But AMLO has backed off the strategy of keying on cartel bosses, and they are freer to roam and destroy than ever before. And releasing all the prisoners recently from jail is not being equated with more crime, but I personally think its directly related.