San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Oversize Load  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 7th, 2010 01:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
scirocco

Mana: 
Has anybody brought down from the states a wide load boat i.e. over 8'6" beam?  Did the mexican authorities require a wide load or oversize load permit before you could tow it on the mexican highway?   I checked with Marina San Carlos, and they said know no.  But other boaters I have talked to said the had some problems with certain Federalies.  I will have the boat flagged and have the signs on it. 

Thanks,

scirocco

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Oct 14th, 2010 01:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Horse N Around

Mana: 
I only had a problem coming back to the states with a load wider than 9 ft. going to mexico didnt seem to be a problem

Last edited on Thu Oct 14th, 2010 01:10 am by Horse N Around

Posted: Thu Oct 14th, 2010 01:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
scirocco

Mana: 
The same thing happened to a friend of mine, no problem going down but coming back n. side of Hermosillo got pulled over for over 2 hours.

Posted: Sat Oct 16th, 2010 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Segundo Viento

Mana: 
We came down last fall with a C28, 10'4" beam without any issues.  We couldn't find any "oversize" load restrictuins for Mexico.  You just need the normal TIP stuff.  In theory you need a permit for each state you travel thru in the US but with only 8'6" I doubt anyone would notice.  Haven't brought the boat back so I don't know about border issues when returning.

Posted: Sat Oct 16th, 2010 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
scirocco

Mana: 
Thanks for that information actually my boat is a Frers 33 its beam is 11' I do have the TIP already. Did you have any problem getting your oversize permit in Arizona?
Jon

Posted: Sat Oct 16th, 2010 07:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Segundo Viento

Mana: 
Az. doesn't issue in advance.  We had planned to stay at the first wayside coming across from New Mexico but it was closed.  We proceded to the weigh station and since it was dark and we weren't carrying lights we had to stay there until morning.  No problem getting the permit then.  We left at 6am, made it across the border and to the Marina San Carlos parking lot by sunset.  The only issue was passing the tilting hay bail trucks.  Had hay on the decks when we arrived.

Posted: Sat Oct 16th, 2010 08:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
scirocco

Mana: 
That's such good information thanks, I did not realize tha AZ did not issue in advance like most other states.
Thanks so much

Posted: Sat Oct 16th, 2010 09:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Segundo Viento

Mana: 
Go to http://www.tntpermits.com. You can get most states permits there.

Posted: Mon Oct 18th, 2010 10:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
I don't know when you are coming, but the annual road reconstruction seems to be ramping up. There is one section that is now two-way traffic in the southbound lanes, for 6 miles leaving Santa Ana. They were finishing another "diversion lane" at Benjamin Hill to route northbound traffic onto the southbound side. We saw a dozen survey crews working in different locations both Friday and on Sunday. I am not sure what your experience is with the highway, border crossing, driving through Hermosillo, and I have no idea about vertical clearance needed for your boat. I just know it would take industrial strength "Valium in a Drum" to calm my nerves if I hauled something 11 1/2' x 40' into San Carlos!!!!

I would really suggest a trial run from Nogales to SC and back without the boat, just so you know the current conditions.

If you do haul it down, you will then be the only one I know of who's earned the right to the "stainless steel balls" to hang from your receiver hitch.

Posted: Tue Oct 19th, 2010 03:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
scirocco

Mana: 
Wow! that's not good news. I was planning on leaving Albuquerque on Monday the 25th of Oct. and crossing the border on Wednesday the 27th. Being there in time for the Tuscon Race and Regatta, held from San Carlos to Guaymas, on Saturday the 30th. I may have to re-think this whole thing. Do you think it will be some time before the southbound lanes are back to a double lane?

Posted: Wed Oct 20th, 2010 12:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
I can't answer that, but typically, when they finish one section, they move the detour to the next stretch of pavement. They replace all or most of the worst damage done by the produce trucks every year, and it is especially interesting when they are working in one of the narrow, winding areas and move traffic to one side.

Two years ago, we passed a southbound boat about the size of yours on our way down. We were going through one of those detours with our right tires on a berm of construction gravel as the first semi carrying a giant ore hauler dump bed went by us going north. There was no way that semi and that boat would fit if they passed where I did, and we passed two more just south of that spot.

I am not trying to discourage you, just surprised at the size of vessel you are towing. I have never been totally comfortable towing my 9' x 26' trailer with the drop-off shoulders and wobbly "doble semi remolques" snaking past me at 70 mph. When it's down to two lanes, it's even more exciting.

Posted: Wed Oct 20th, 2010 04:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
scirocco

Mana: 
It certainly is exciting.  I have pulled the boat from Florida to NM throughout a lot of  construction but it is not like Mexico construction either.  I have a 32' travel trailer that I pull to SC over the past couple of decades, and a 27'x 9' sailboat but alas none of them approach the size of this boat.  I do have a friend that will scout the construction area for me on Sat. and let me know what he thinks before I try it.  I am under 14' in height so that is not too much of a concern.  (I'll watch for low wires in Hermosillo).    Is the construction in the twisty part of the road between Nogales and Santa Ana?

Posted: Wed Oct 20th, 2010 11:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
When I returned Sunday, the only construction zone started right at the overpass leaving Santa Ana and running for 6 miles south. The next zone they appeared to be preparing for was just north of Benjamin Hill. No curves except that big turn right outside of Santa Ana before the PFP station.

Posted: Thu Oct 21st, 2010 12:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
scirocco

Mana: 
Thanks so much I appreciate the reports.

Posted: Fri Nov 5th, 2010 05:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
scirocco

Mana: 
Thanks for all the advice made it thru the construction no problem the mexican trucks and buses were courteous. However...... the Americans and Canadians with their big bus rigs were not. I guess there must be something about when you turn 70 years old, been driving a little car all your life then graduate to a 80,000 pound rig and still drive it like a little car, come on! They were the ones you had to look out for!!

Posted: Sat Nov 6th, 2010 01:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
How did you do in the Regatta? It started out slow, but the breeze really freshened about mid-day. We were cruising the bay right after the start and watched everyone pick up speed.

Glad your drive went well - we got passed by 8 cars in the two construction zones going down and back.

Posted: Sat Nov 6th, 2010 01:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
scirocco

Mana: 
Due to high wind in NM on Monday we got started a day late. Consequently we did not have enough time to set up the boat and get it launched in time for the Regatta. Right now it is still at marina seca, next month we will be back down to put it in and stay on it through the winter.

Current time is 01:57 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Oversize Load Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems