San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > help...what are the requirements for selling a 23 ft boat in mexico

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
help...what are the requirements for selling a 23 ft boat in mexico  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 26th, 2010 06:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
sailfast

Mana: 
Have a 23 sailboat for sale...when it sells....what does the new owner need to tow it back to the states.  I have a TIP and titles are to trailer and boat are in states.  Any direction would be great.  thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Aug 26th, 2010 10:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
You need to clear the TIP-the buyer can't do it.  He can bring back to the US on a bill of sale.  Title to the boat?  Where is it titled?

Bart

Posted: Thu Aug 26th, 2010 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
sailfast

Mana: 
Thanks for the help....I have the TIP in Oregon along with the title for boat and trailer.  When it wells I can fax a bill of sale to the new owner and mail the titles.  I can clear the TIP when I come down in November i guess...and that is done at Km 21 correct?  Do you think that will be ok?

Mike

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 02:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
To do this right, you need to accompany the boat to KM 21 to clear the TIP.  Rest sounds ok but do the title transfers need to be notarized?  If so that will need to happen in the USA. It can be done in Mexico but it is a hassle. 

If I were the buyer, I'd tell you to meet me at a bank in Nogales, Az with boat, trailer, cleared TIP and all paperwork and get the bank or other notary to witness the sale and notarize all the docs.  That way if your buyer is a resident of another state like AZ where boats are registered but not titled, they will have all the paperwork they need to title the trailer and register the boat.

If, for the sake of discussion, the buyer wants to document the vessel with USCG (I would), you will need to provide a USCG bill of sale and that must be notarized.  Form is available on line at http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/

Bart

Last edited on Fri Aug 27th, 2010 02:41 am by bartmanaz

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 04:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
sailfast

Mana: 
Thanks Bart for taking the time to help me out here....

.....that is good news and bad news.....sounds like I cant sell it unless I can be there....Dang....in Oregon all yoiu need is a bill of sale and title and your good no notary needed.  So to release the TIP the boat must be present at km21? 

Mike

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 05:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Technically speaking I don´t think the boat needs to go to 21k to change the TIP. I think you can go to the port captain and pay a fee and have them change it for you right there.

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 05:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
sailfast

Mana: 
If the buyer doesnt need a TIP and I just need to clear it....you think I can just do that with port captain in San Carlos?

Mike

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 06:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
all i can tell you is that a lot of large boats change hands in san carlos and those boats certainly do not go up to 21k for new, TIP´s

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 11:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
FYI--- I don't believe many sailboats in the 25 foot range would meet this criteria.
A vessel must measure at least five net tons and, with the exception of certain oil spill response vessels, must be wholly owned by a citizen of the U.S.
Top of Page

Top of Page

Marine Safety Center's Tonnage

Last edited on Fri Aug 27th, 2010 11:41 am by ezmony

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 12:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
"thats a 20 footer"---------"25, 3 ton of em". ( now that might get ya to thinkin).

Last edited on Fri Aug 27th, 2010 12:07 pm by ezmony

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 01:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Is the TIP the old non-computerized version or the new one?  Are you planning to buy another boat to have in Mexico?

Bart

Last edited on Fri Aug 27th, 2010 01:26 pm by bartmanaz

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 02:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
sailfast

Mana: 
looks like the old type but they were using a computer entering info when I got it two years ago.  Yes I am planning on buying a sailboat in san carlos

Posted: Fri Aug 27th, 2010 05:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Then I would make sure the current TIP is properly cleared.  If you can get that done in SC-wonderful.  If someone can advise how to do this properly and cleanly in SC, please tell how.

Bart

Posted: Sat Aug 28th, 2010 02:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
sailfast

Mana: 
I will do that thanks to all for your help...sure appreciate it!

Posted: Sat Aug 28th, 2010 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
You might check with the Office at Marina San Carlos. In the past they have handled TIP transfers for a minimal fee.

Posted: Sat Aug 28th, 2010 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
sailfast

Mana: 
Thanks I will check in to that...

Posted: Sat Aug 28th, 2010 11:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
mesa

Mana: 
Check with Sea of Cortez Yachts at Marina San Carlos.  Selling boats is their business and they know more about the procedures than anyone else around here.  They are friendly and helpful.  The people in the marina office are great people but transfering boats is not their business and they may get things wrong.

Posted: Sat Aug 28th, 2010 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
sailfast

Mana: 
I did contact them and they said about the same thing as metioned above.  Thanks for the tip

Posted: Tue Aug 31st, 2010 02:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
John S

Mana: 
Sailfast

You might consider just giving the buyer a "Captain's letter" authorizing him to sail the boat, move the boat, etc. and then he should be able to take it to the border. If it is Oregon Title you can download an Oregon bill of sale and sign it, have it notarized if the buyer feels more secure.

You can get a "Captain's Letter" (in English with Spanish translation)quite easily

Bart's suggestion for USCG documentation is well advised, but this boat would be too small to fit into the USCG requirements for documentation, so that would not apply in this case. If you want to buy another boat in San Carlos you certainly want to look into documentation for yourself. Charlie at Sea of Cortez Yachts can help with that

A lot of this depends on where the buyer wants to register the boat, as different states have different requirements. It's a lot different to register a boat in Arizona, which is done without a title being issued and goes through Arizona Fish and Game, and say California, where you have to deal with the Department of Motor Vehicles. So you want to check with your buyer and see what his state's requirements are. Even of he wants to keep it in Mexico, he will need to re-register it in the US and then apply for a TIP

Some states require notarized signatures, and some don't, so you want to find out what buyer needs. Needless to say, no Mexican notary endorsements are recognized in US. Have to go to a US Consulate in Hermosillo if you need a notary, unless some US Notary in San Carlos is willing to notarize which we all agree is not 'legal' in the true sense of the word but sometimes done

Of course if it's a 23 ft trailer sailboat you will have 2 titles or 2 registrations, one for boat, one for trailer

Hope this helps, good luck with your sale

Posted: Tue Aug 31st, 2010 04:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
sailfast

Mana: 
Thanks John,

This is all making sense now.  When I get a buyer I will give him al this advise and help him or her out as best I can.  Thanks so much...emailed Charlie and he said the same thing pretty much.  So now its time to get selling.

Mike

Current time is 05:57 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > help...what are the requirements for selling a 23 ft boat in mexico Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems