San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Anyone sailed from San Carlos to Manzanillo?

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Anyone sailed from San Carlos to Manzanillo?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 8th, 2009 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Compass Rose

Mana: 
Galley Wench wrote: Thanks . . . I enjoy photography!  

That's one of the great things about The Sea . . . other than Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) in the far north there is nothing touristy about it; the scenery and the people are wonderful!  

We have a Hunter 42.   We bought her in San Carlos in the summer of 2005.  We live in the mountains of Arizona (3 hours north of Tucson) and it gets cold and snowy here in the winter, so we're usually out of here by mid-October and stay until Spring.

Yes, the lobsters are fresh, we watched him dive for them!   He even removed the tails so all I had to do was wash them, put in foil with a little garlic, wine and butter. . . YUM!

Last year we did the mainland route (our one and ONLY time) and took our time.   We stopped at Yavarras (a bit like the Bubba Gump fish company camp), Toppalabombo, then Altata (a wonderful stop) and Mazatlan.   We then did an overnight to Puerto Vallarta (actually La Cruz, we're not into touristy either).   Stayed for Christmas, and then down to Barra de Navidad, where the French  baker is located.   I can't remember his name but he's on the radio every morning . . . 'dis is da French baker, on dock  . . ."

The 2006-2007 season we did a straight shot from La Paz to Barra de Navidad, through the Lorenzo Channel and then across.  I think it took us four days (with one overnight stop)!   It was an easier rounding of Corrientes because we were able to get further out.   From Barra it's onoly about 4 hours south to Manzanillo, so you should be able to do it 3+ days.

Once you round Corrientes everything changes, the cactus give away to white sand beaches lined with palm trees.   The temperature rises almost immediately.  It a bit like the caribbean. but not as remote!

The big issue in the Sea of Corez is the weather . . . it can go from flat calm to 25 knots in a matter of hours, espcially in the northern half.   For weather reports we rely on Bouy Weather and local radio reports on the Ham radio.    The best times we've found to sail from San Carlos in the fall is October . . . mid October to Thanksgiving.  The northers start blowing in after Thanksgiving and it's usually February before the last one blows through. 

Hope this helps!

Diana

Great info, Diana - thanks again! It sounds like wonderful cruising down there. But do you mean you think we'd be able to make it from SC to Barra in 3+ days? That seems awfully quick even for a straight shot. At any rate, we'd hope to be able to take two weeks to make the trip. I think that would be enough time - though of course, not nearly as long as we'd like to have.

We'd need to get there before the end of November, so hopefully that timing would be good, weatherwise. It sounds like it would be.

Thanks again for the info. (BTW, I realized I neglected to send you the URL for our website - it's http://www.threesheetsnw.com, if you're curious)

Howard, I haven't sailed offshore but my husband has and is an experienced sailor who has his advanced skipper certification and has been sailing essentially his whole life. So in that regard, I'm not worried.

We wouldn't be leaving until after Nov. 1 - we want to avoid hurricane season and wouldn't be able to get insurance to leave before then anyway. We'd probably leave around the second week of November. Thanks for the input on weather and distance. That's all good to know.

Unfortunately, we're not in SC or I'd gladly take a photo of your boat and send it to you. I hope your boat's okay - from what I've read on here, it sounds like only a very small number of boats in Marina Seca were affected.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Sep 8th, 2009 06:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Galley Wench

Mana: 
Compass Rose wrote: Galley Wench wrote: Thanks . . . I enjoy photography!  

That's one of the great things about The Sea . . . other than Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) in the far north there is nothing touristy about it; the scenery and the people are wonderful!  

We have a Hunter 42.   We bought her in San Carlos in the summer of 2005.  We live in the mountains of Arizona (3 hours north of Tucson) and it gets cold and snowy here in the winter, so we're usually out of here by mid-October and stay until Spring.

Yes, the lobsters are fresh, we watched him dive for them!   He even removed the tails so all I had to do was wash them, put in foil with a little garlic, wine and butter. . . YUM!

Last year we did the mainland route (our one and ONLY time) and took our time.   We stopped at Yavarras (a bit like the Bubba Gump fish company camp), Toppalabombo, then Altata (a wonderful stop) and Mazatlan.   We then did an overnight to Puerto Vallarta (actually La Cruz, we're not into touristy either).   Stayed for Christmas, and then down to Barra de Navidad, where the French  baker is located.   I can't remember his name but he's on the radio every morning . . . 'dis is da French baker, on dock  . . ."

The 2006-2007 season we did a straight shot from La Paz to Barra de Navidad, through the Lorenzo Channel and then across.  I think it took us four days (with one overnight stop)!   It was an easier rounding of Corrientes because we were able to get further out.   From Barra it's onoly about 4 hours south to Manzanillo, so you should be able to do it 3+ days.

Once you round Corrientes everything changes, the cactus give away to white sand beaches lined with palm trees.   The temperature rises almost immediately.  It a bit like the caribbean. but not as remote!

The big issue in the Sea of Corez is the weather . . . it can go from flat calm to 25 knots in a matter of hours, espcially in the northern half.   For weather reports we rely on Bouy Weather and local radio reports on the Ham radio.    The best times we've found to sail from San Carlos in the fall is October . . . mid October to Thanksgiving.  The northers start blowing in after Thanksgiving and it's usually February before the last one blows through. 

Hope this helps!

Diana

Great info, Diana - thanks again! It sounds like wonderful cruising down there. But do you mean you think we'd be able to make it from SC to Barra in 3+ days? That seems awfully quick even for a straight shot. At any rate, we'd hope to be able to take two weeks to make the trip. I think that would be enough time - though of course, not nearly as long as we'd like to have.

We'd need to get there before the end of November, so hopefully that timing would be good, weatherwise. It sounds like it would be.

Thanks again for the info. (BTW, I realized I neglected to send you the URL for our website - it's http://www.threesheetsnw.com, if you're curious)

Howard, I haven't sailed offshore but my husband has and is an experienced sailor who has his advanced skipper certification and has been sailing essentially his whole life. So in that regard, I'm not worried.

We wouldn't be leaving until after Nov. 1 - we want to avoid hurricane season and wouldn't be able to get insurance to leave before then anyway. We'd probably leave around the second week of November. Thanks for the input on weather and distance. That's all good to know.

Unfortunately, we're not in SC or I'd gladly take a photo of your boat and send it to you. I hope your boat's okay - from what I've read on here, it sounds like only a very small number of boats in Marina Seca were affected.

Deborah:  

The 3+ days would be from La Paz to Barra de Navidad.   Just checked our log and we left from Los Muertos (on the east cape of the baja) and it took us 54 hours to make it across and around Corrientes to Impala, which is about 1 day sail from Barra de Navidad.   If neceessary I suppose you could make Manzanillo from San Carlos in 6 days (if the westher cooperated) but you'd miss some of the best of Mexico. 

GEEZ :( we have a friend who drove to San Carlos to check on his boat.   He called a few minutes ago,  apparently everything isn't 'ok' in Marina Real dry storage as we were advised.    Found our hard bottom dingy, which was tied securely (we thought) to the deck, hanging over the side of the boat.   Has not been inside yet. . . . got my fingers crossed, because he just found water up to the floor boards on a friends boat!

Last edited on Tue Sep 8th, 2009 06:15 pm by Galley Wench

Posted: Tue Sep 8th, 2009 06:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Compass Rose

Mana: 
Hi Diana,

Oh no! I hope your boat is okay. The other boat must have had some serious leaks to be on the hard and have that much water in it, no? I have my fingers crossed for you!

Ah, okay, three days from La Paz to Barra makes sense. If we do the trip I think we'd be able to take two weeks, so at least we'd get to see a little of the area. There's never enough time, though - at least at this stage in our lives. We're planning to go long-distance cruising in a few years. I can't wait for that. That niggling thing known as work never fails to get in the way. I'm already looking forward to retirement!

Deborah

Posted: Tue Sep 8th, 2009 06:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
Galley Wench
If you would be so kind to ask your friend to look at our boat Sea Change On the hard in Marina Real.  Tayana 37 Cream and red

Thanks
Steve

Posted: Tue Sep 8th, 2009 10:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Galley Wench

Mana: 
Steve,   Sorry for the delay, I was out for a while.   Unfortunatley our friend had already left the 'muddy' yard, however when I emailed Isabel regarding our boat, I asked if she contact dry storage and have some confirm all is ok with yours.

The damage to our boat appears to be minimal.    Apparently when the dingy blew off it pulled the lifeline loose on one side and there was a little water in the bilge, but dry inside.

Deborah --  love your site!

Last edited on Tue Sep 8th, 2009 10:51 pm by Galley Wench

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 02:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
Galley Wench

I thought the boat was OK, Just  thought that it would be a good idea to have someone eye ball it if they were in the yard.

Thanks for Checking

Steve

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 10:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
John S

Mana: 
Compass Rose

The Sea of Cortez from San Carlos to La Paz is not to be missed, especially the area from Loreto/Conception down to La Paz, and all the wonderful islands around La Paz, Espiritu Santu, San Francisco, etc, all within an easy day sail from downtown La Paz. The Sea of Cortez is definitely the "real" Mexico, you won't see many high rise condo there.

I sail with an educational schooner (85 ft) that sails from Sausalito (San Francisco area) to Mexico in winter, and often does the route from Cabo to La Paz and then out to the surrounding islands for a few months exploring, and then back to Cabo for return to Sausalito. The trips are from December to early March. It can be quite cool then and some nasty Northers, but if you watch your weather you should be OK. And you would be headed south all the time anyway.

This year we are returning to the same area but will do a Rotary sponsored trip to take clothing and other supplies to remote fishing villages that cannot be reached easily (or at all) by vehicle. If you sail south, look for us, 85 ft. steel schooner named "Seaward" (owned by a nonprofit 'Call of the Sea')

I can send you some nice photos of the islands, and also of anchorages, and fishermen bringing fresh lobsters to the boat. All in all, it's quite a unique and very authentic experience. Totally different that the 'Gold Coast' of Mexico, ie, Mazatlan-PV-Manzanillo, etc. which are all very beautiful in their own ways but hardly pristine Mexico.

We sailed down as far as Manzanillo for several years (winter) but decided to stay in the lower Sea of Cortez, more interesting sailing and great anchorages.

Even if you eventually sail all the way to Manzanillo, don't miss cruising for at least a few weeks in the islands around La Paz, and even a stop in La Paz itself, still a very delightful and real Mexican city. Costa Baja Marina is closest as you enter the channel, out near the ferry, Marina La Paz is all the way down channel and walking distance to downtown.

A word about the shipper you mentioned, be prepared for significant delays, and you may also have to sign an insurance waiver the absolves the shipping company from any liability, even if it's their fault. I wouldn't think there would be so much difference in price between La Paz and Manzanillo? Dockwise might be more expensive but they are generally dependable and if they don't have a full load they will negotiate with you. Another option might be to check the price for Ensenada, might only take a week or so to work your way north up the coast of Baja and then get a more competitive bid from Ensenada to Seattle?

No matter which route you take you can't help but have a good trip...

Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2009 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
rrsilverspirit

Mana: 
Steve W - I sent you a PM

Current time is 08:10 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Anyone sailed from San Carlos to Manzanillo? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems