San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sailing to SC from San Diego  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 3rd, 2006 09:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
FB

Mana: 
first leg(s)....

Attachment: route.jpg (Downloaded 138 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Feb 4th, 2006 02:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
JZ

Mana: 
Wow.  Are you in Cabo now.  Give us some details of the trip!

Posted: Mon Feb 6th, 2006 08:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
FB

Mana: 
sorry  a bit misleading. .that is from my last trip a over a year now..

I will follow the same general plan...   departing on the 18 of Feb.

Posted: Wed Feb 8th, 2006 08:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Charlie

Mana: 
Can only speak for VHF in San Carlos, but here 16 is used for hailing and emergencies; 14 is the port captain's; 22 for for Rescate (paramedic unit) and the police; 68 is reserved for the sportfishing fleet; 72 is the cruisers' net at 8 AM MST daily.  Boaties typically head to 05, 18, 69, 71 or 72 for the conversation, once they connect on 16.

Posted: Sun Mar 5th, 2006 02:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
FB

Mana: 
Arrived this past wednesday,, at 2330...

quite  a trip.. lots of fun and several days of no wind..

If you might like, I can update on the trip.. (in PM's)  just ask me.

I will post one intersting picture....

"Bud" followed us for hours.. then sevreal more joined "us"   after quite a qhile, the wind picked up...

Attachment: bud.jpg (Downloaded 101 times)

Posted: Mon Mar 6th, 2006 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
FB

Mana: 
Well here is a better report from the trip… 

We departed in the evening of the first day to head to Ensenada for that checkin, which was supposed to take only 1 – 2 hours.   After 6 hours we were finally underway. 

Heading out of the bay, we could clearly see the grounded freighter with the 4 tugs pulling (getting nowhere, it has been grounded since Christmas and now is almost fully unloaded). 

As we cleared the islands, it began to rain.  That evening we were in 5-6 foot swells and 20-30 kts of wind, all from behind so not a big deal.  Sunday morning we spoke with some Fishing guys who trailer-ed to San Qintin.  We were about 40 miles offshore at this point. 

Windy all the way to Isla San Benito,  surfing in the 35 + kts of wind at about 8 kts.  We passed just west of the island about ¾ of a mile off.  As we cleared, the first of many whales appeared close to port.  A smaller gray whale, who breached at least 10 times within ½ mile of us.  

We continued toward Isla Cedros’ sout end surfing at 7-8kts under main only.  We passed the s-w point of Cedros in about 60 feet of water, with the dirtiest color I have ever seen.  Altering course, we rapidly approached Isla Navidad’s n-e side.  clearing Navidad by about 1 mile, we were close enough to see many people watching us pass.  Sunset at Navidad meant a dark entrance to Turtle bay. 

We arrived in the entrance of Turtle bay at about 9pm, in total blackness, not even a few stars.  After some slow progress into the shallows we anchored in about 20 feet of water ¼ mile off the pier. 

Next morning we work up late and got fuel by anchoring off the pier, then backing stearn to it where a hose was passed to us.  We took on about 10 gallons of diesel.  ½ way to cabo on only 10 gallons.. got to love sailing. 

After tour of the town, netted a shower (hot) and some food at a local establishment (lobster lunch.. 5 dollars each), we set sail for points further south. 

That afternoon we again hit the winds up to 30 kts. And surfed along at 7-9 kts I fished some but got nothing. 

As sunset fell we were about 30 miles from the entrance to Mag bay, so sailed in darkness toward Mag Bay.  I sat off  of mag bay for the remainder of the night, having sailed the 30 miles easily in the darkness.  I lingered around the entrance waiting for the sunlight to enter when “Bud” approached a bit closer then the other whales.  Now “bud” and his friends lingered around the boat for the next several hours, sometimes surfacing within inches of the boat, but never contacting it (at least not as far as we could tell).. the school (pod??) would swim along on all sides front and back.  Sometimes they would raise out of the water, and stare at us.  The owner was not too enthusiastic about being so close and finally we had to leave Mag bay for his sanity.  They followed us out again to the entrance, where Bud was the last to turn away, I think that he had a thing for the green/white boat.. 

The trip to cabo was mostly mortoring along in light to no-exixtant winds. NO fish.  I crossed every high spot I could find , one of which came to within 60 feet, with no life, not even birds.  In addition to the several freighters and cruise ships we saw every day/night, I saw two of the long range boats between Mag  bay and Cabo.  They did not answer the radio, nor did it appear they were fishing. 

Cabo was expensive, we got a slip for 143.44 for one night.  Dinner was over 100 for both of us without any drinks.  We departed cabo late on Saturday headed to La Paz.   

On the route past san Jose Del Cabo we passed by 25-35 marlin all of which ignored the feathers I was dragging.   The last night to La Paz while between the shore and Isla Cerravlo the sea became alive with TUNA.   What fun!..  well the passage and the fish ended at the same time.  As the north end of the island came into view, the fish must have headed back south.  

Passing through the “Canal de San Lorenzo” near sunset, we elected to anchor for the night at the second anchorage on the S-W side of “isla del espiritu”.  Lots of fish here in the anchorage, mostly bait sized.  We ate  fresh fish and discarded the remainder over the side in the morning.  

Motoring up the island, the owner decided to launch his dingy and explore as I headed up the shore line.  Along the way, I ran into a Mexican patrol boat, and made some new fishing buddies.  I gave them some hooks and the leftover line on the spools I had (which needed new line by now.). 

At the north end of the island the dingy was again secured and we motored north toward Loretto.

Near Isla San Francisco we passed by many sea turtles on the surface and many more of the “bat rays” as I call them.  The seas were calm with absolutely no ripples except for our wake.  About abeam of the island, we encountered a school of porpoise playing or eating, not sure which.  A mile or two after them, my cedar plug got inhaled buy a marlin or something like that,   15 minutes of acrobatics in the distance and the 80 pound mono top shop broke near the fish.  Whatever it was, I was never able to gain any ground on it. 

The remainder of the passage between the shore and the many islands was alive with Yellowtail, dorados and tunas.   The entire time we were surrounded by some kind of whale.  

The final few miles from Los Candeleros and Danzantei islands to Puerto Escondido were dead to fishing as the fish finally got the last jig. 

Puerto Escondido may as well be by-passed. There is no fuel dock there nor any fuel in the brand new looking tank.  It costs 40 dollars just to anchor in the bay and it looks like the boats in the “waiting room” have installed their own 3-point mooring system and don’t want anyone else to anchor there.  Every place we lingered thinking about anchoring someone would inform us that the spot was their territory and not available. 

We departed Escondido following the shore toward Loreto in hopes of filling the fuel tank along the way.  A radio call to Loreto made it clear that here would be no fuel from that area. 

We continued to motor past Isla Coronado following the shore in a building headwind.  The owner’s plan was to get fuel in Mulege.  About ½ way it became clear we would never get there with the fuel we had.   We continued anyway. And about 20 miles short of Conception point, I convinced him to abandon the quest and sail (not motor) toward our final destination.  We had 90 miles to go on a heading of 002 to get to San Carlos.  We made the decision at about 1430 and began the crossing.  With about 1 gallon of fuel, we would have to sail the entire crossing.  The winds were about 22 kts on the nose, I set the sails (about ½ of the jib, something I had not before tired but the sailmakers claim you can sail with the sail ½ way unrolled.) the winds built to about 30 true but shifted allowing us to sail almost directly to our destination.  We arrive in the area of San Carlos about 2200 that evening, and I rolled up the jib.  We continued to sail (somewhat slower about 5 kts) to the entrance where I started the engine with a very nervous owner.  We arrived inside the harbor at the launching ramp dock before 2330. 

The final 90 miles had taken about 9 hours with our speed (boat speed) showing only 8-9 kts so must have had some luck with the current. 

There are several lesions to be learned from this adventure. I might share them later, but for now at least you have an idea of the trip.  We took 11 days to make the passage form San Diego, using about 75 gallons of fuel; we stopped for 5 nights and one entire day.  (5 12 hour periods and one 24 hour period) translating to 7.5 days of traveling.   The weather was not the best, but not the worst.  Some rain and winds, but nothing extreme 

Would I go again, SURE,, would I change anything?  Yes but there are always things to improve on. 

By the way, the boat is now docked a few boat away from the Catch-22..... 

I do have lots of picutures, too many to post here.

Last edited on Tue Mar 7th, 2006 04:33 pm by FB

Posted: Tue Mar 21st, 2006 02:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Hey FB, I just noticed your report.  Sounds like a really great trip and thanks for the excellent report!  What is the name of the boat, is it in Marina Real or Marina San Carlos.

Posted: Tue Mar 21st, 2006 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
FB

Mana: 
JZ wrote: Hey FB, I just noticed your report.  Sounds like a really great trip and thanks for the excellent report!  What is the name of the boat, is it in Marina Real or Marina San Carlos.

Pictue of the boat

Attachment: boat-small.JPG (Downloaded 65 times)

Last edited on Tue Mar 21st, 2006 04:42 pm by FB

Current time is 04:42 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Sailing to SC from San Diego Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems