San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sailboat Capabilities  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 04:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
ldalbin

Mana: 
    "Make sure the boat was designed, built and has been maintained for open-ocean sailing. You don't want to be trusting your life to a boat designed for lake sailing."
      So this is what Latitude 38's advice is for buying a sailboat to cruise the Sea of Cortez.  Sounds good to me, a novice-ignorant soon to spend a couple months sailing the Sea.  So, as I try to educate myself, how do I know what to look for, what to avoid in buying an inexpensive sailboat? 
I'm planning on doing this inexpensively.  Don't desire lots of creature comforts, just basic, safe transportation on the water that meets the needs of getting around for a couple months: place to sleep, cook, reasonable head. 
         my background: Am a basic do-it-yourself type.  Want things functional, relaxing but for comparison:  when traveling on my motorcycle am happier finding a deserted place where I'll be left alone to unroll my sleeping bag rather than getting a motel room. 
           Any suggestions?  Brand names or style/types boats to seek or avoid?
I do plan to take a course or two from Vince prior to taking off on my own, to supplement my lake day-sail experience.
thanks,
L D A

Attachment: VivBaja.jpg (Downloaded 267 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 04:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
There are just so many boats out there that can do the job that you need. It is hard to know where to start but here are some names that come to mind, Oday, erricson, catalina, cal, laguna balboa,clipper marine, montgomery. Any boat that can lake sail safely should be fine coastaly cruising the sea of cortez. I would start looking around the Ranchitos, and all the dry storage facilities in San Carlos. I have seen several sailboats on trailers that look like the owners wont be using again.

Look for something in your budget and if you find it here in San Carlos give me a buzz and I can go take a look at it with you and let you know what I think. More than likely you will be looking for a sloop rigged monohull that I would consider modifying into a cutterl. I would put the staysail on a snap shackel so is is removable for light wind tacking of the Genoa.

good luck there are lots of boats out there, I am sure one has your name on it.

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Inde

Mana: 
Hi there

It sounds like you are going to be single handing so make sure the boat is set up for this. You do not say if you will be trailering or not? Where will you keep the boat when not in use? I am sure Vince can help you on all these points. I suggest you purchase one or more of Jerry Cunningham's books on the SOC. They will provide you a wealth of info. Just making a guess at your needs I would suggest a 25ft. with trailer.

Hope this helps

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2007 05:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JZ

Mana: 
I think you are getting into something much bigger than you expect.  The SOC isn't anything like a lake.  Make sure you prepare properly.

Posted: Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 05:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
We just posted a listing on the main web site for a 25 Catalina that might be of interest-check it out at http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/boats4sale.html

Bart

Posted: Wed Oct 24th, 2007 10:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
ldalbin

Mana: 
JZ, thanks for the input.
    And what I'm trying to do is make sure I prepare properly.  However I don't find that suggestion very specific.  What would you suggest I do to prepare properly?  AND any suggestions on boats to avoid or seek, in the inexpensive range?

thanks,
    L D A

Posted: Fri Oct 26th, 2007 08:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
JZ

Mana: 
ldalbin wrote:  ...a novice-ignorant soon to spend a couple months sailing the Sea. 

I guess my first reaction is that what you meant when you used the words "sailing" and "cruising" the SOC was literally that.  Going bay to bay around the sea.

Based on the above comment from you, that wouldn't seem like the first logical step.  A better plan, to me any way, would be hanging out around San Carlos for several months and getting your feet wet.  Meet and talk to others in the sailing community about the what the challenges of cruising on the ocean entail.

Last edited on Wed Nov 7th, 2007 04:15 pm by JZ

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Buy a 22' Catalina swing keel.

Buy a lot of life insurance for your loved ones.

Then, go out and do whatever the heck you  want to.

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
The best a person can say when they die; is that they were doing what they wanted to do when it happened.

Last edited on Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 09:07 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 03:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
ldalbin

Mana: 
Thanks for this input.  It is right along the line of reasoning I'm developing.  22' sounds a bit on the small side, but I suspect I could have a good couple months with such a boat, maybe a few more feet length, maybe not.

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2007 11:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
I would go with something around the 24 to 26 foot range if I could find it at the right price. It is no harder to single hand a boat of that size compared to a 22 footer and the extra room is great to have.

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2007 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
jbird

Mana: 
Idalbin,

I have a beautiful 27ft on a trailer at Marina seca, fully equipped ready to sail, for sale contact me by private e-mail @ellie7j@yahoo.com. Boat is sailed regularly in the sea ... I am moving to a larger tri-hull.

Jbird

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2007 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
mxsailor

Mana: 
Weather in SOC
Chubascos, Elefantes, Northers, Coromuels. Look those up...

I cruise a Morgan 33 Out Island. Singlehanding since 1997. Weighs 8 tons and the sea still tosses me around.

My suggestion: Come to SC, crew with some boats. 2-3 days in the sea will give you some insight on what you'll need and how much you are willing to pay/do/buy.

Here's my ride in Barra de Navidad, about 1300 miles south and now back in SC on a mooring. (I still go south for the winter though I live in SC).

Attachment: blissnbarra.jpg (Downloaded 127 times)

Posted: Fri Nov 9th, 2007 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
ldalbin

Mana: 
I'm getting good information from folks on this channel.  Thanks to all of you, and I hope others will chime in.  Seems like the overwhelming message is: 
    1.  I have a workable plan.
    2.  Come down and work out the details after getting to the area.
    3.  Don't take it too lightly, look up the weather issues detailed above.
    4.  It's do-able.

I like the:  'look up these words', 'these are good boats', ... specific kinds of directions.  Hopefully more will be coming, especially along the lines of knowledge of electronics I will be needing.
thanks,
    L D A

Posted: Sun Nov 11th, 2007 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Mike

Mana: 
I just spent a week alone on the SOC in my 22 footer. Had a great time but if you ever plan on taking anyone else out for more than a day trip, you'll probably need something bigger. Single hand sailing is a chore at best. Look into self steering of some kind and make sure you bring extra gas ;).  

Posted: Mon Nov 12th, 2007 11:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
ldalbin

Mana: 
Thanks Mike, your feedback reinforces my thinking on what reality might actually look like.  I've been moving towards 27' minimum size (instead of 25') and a self-steering (auto-pilot) tool being highly desirable.  Useful info, thanks.     What can people tell me about auto-pilots on smaller, inexpensive boats?  In a catalogue (Downwind Marine, online) I saw a tiller device for $395 (up to 6500 lbs); $1495 (16,500 lbs); and a wheel device for $1195 (16,500 lbs). [all of them "AutoHelm"]   What kind of information /experience/prices can folks share ? thanks, L D

Posted: Tue Nov 13th, 2007 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
mxsailor

Mana: 
A tiller pilot is a lot cheaper than a wheel pilot... I've seen tiller pilots at the local cruiser's swap meets for as little as $20 just 2 weeks ago. I've bought wheel pilots at swap meets for $400 brand new (2 months ago), got one online for $200 about 3 years ago. I won't leave on a trip without an AP and spare parts, or a whole spare AP. A tiller boat is simpler, less problems.

Posted: Tue Nov 13th, 2007 03:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
ldalbin

Mana: 
Thanks Mxsail.  Your messages have been useful.  Please don't hesitate to send other thoughts, however random. 

Are there brands of auto-pilots to avoid, or seek out? 

And what about dingy/lifeboat/...?  Is inflateable the only way to go, or styles?  I very much lean to having one I row rather than motor, though what I read somewhere online (Latitude 38?) was adamant the only way to go was relatively powerful motored craft.

L D A (S T)

Posted: Tue Nov 13th, 2007 03:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
mxsailor

Mana: 
I favor hard dinghies. A friend of mine bought a 7 ft Livingston catamaran style here this week for $100. A 3 or 4hp outboard will push that boat pretty well. I own 2 Livingstons, a 7 ft & a 7.5. These boats have as much interior space as an 11 ft inflatable because there's no tubes... and they have built in flotation. I've had my dinghy fill with rainwater and the outboard (5hp Nissan 2 stroke) was still riding high and dry because of the flotation. Won't sink. They tow behind really well, and mine fits on the foredeck. Weighs about 65 lbs. I've owned a number of inflatables but never could keep air in'em. One trick I use is to cut a 1 inch PVC pipe in half lengthwise and epoxy the halves to the runners on the dink. Slides over the rocks really well without chewing up the fiberglass.

Posted: Tue Nov 13th, 2007 03:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
mxsailor

Mana: 
Oh, another thing.
I wouldn't cruise the SOC without an outboard motor. I take two. I've seen weather conditions come up where a rower would get blown out to sea in no time at all. In the north, you can get caught in currents that even outboards can't handle. You can't control the weather, can only prepare.

Don't think autopilot brands matter. Look for a deal. They're out there. I buy a lot of gear on eBay, but be careful about electronics there- Also, there's a number of electronic shops in Guaymas that have used, serviceable gear... radios, fishfinders (a much better deal that a depth finder), radars, etc. They're willing to negotiate a price too, and install...

Current time is 08:10 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Sailboat Capabilities Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems