San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sailboat Buying  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2007 12:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
verBoatin

Mana: 
I'm currently stateside thinking of comming down to buy a boat. The trouble is with the exception of one article I read from a guy who was really positive, every forum I've contacted up here think it's a really bad idea. One guy said "how can you have any trust in  any transaction you get involved with if you don't speak spanish?" See what I mean.

So, I realize that I might run the risk of asking questions  to a group were everybody knows everybody else in the sailing community, never the less, I am curious if I can ask some questions and get some honest answers.

I don't want anybody to slam their neighbor, I just need some advice about the whole process. Anybody up for it?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2007 01:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JUBILATION JOHN

Mana: 
It sounds like you have been asking questions on all the wrong forums until now.  I would suggest you contact the San Carlos boat brokers who have boats listed on the home page here.  You will be surprised to find that mastery of the spanish language is not required to buy a boat and that many of the brokers are gringos.  In fact many of the boat sales are titled by U. S. companies. 

I have my boat listed in San Carlos and can't understand why more people don't buy their boats here and forego sales taxes and property taxes in the U. S.? 

I'm sure you will find differing opinions even on this forum but start with the professionals they can make your task a whole lot easier and safer.

Good Luck and welcome.

John

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2007 02:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Misty Too

Mana: 
Charlie at San Carlos Yachts sold my boat to me 3 years ago Very professional, he did  a great job, and made the transaction very uncomplicated. Even for a gringo like me! There are some very trustworthy people doing business in San Carlos.

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2007 02:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
mxsailor

Mana: 
I agree with John. I've lived here a while and have several friends who have bought their boats here. This is also the best sailing area I've seen for casual cruising. I sailed down to Mexico in 1997 and my boat has stayed in Mexico all this time. I like the boat brokerage people here, too. They're helpful and honest. If your new boat needs repairs, upgrades, etc. I like San Carlos for that too... I would suggest the yard at Marina Real for best prices.

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2007 03:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
We just recently purchased a Morgan 41 center cockpit from Charlie. The transaction was very smooth and pretty painless. I recommend highly the service San Carlos Yacht sales can offer you.

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2007 05:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Turk

Mana: 
With all due respect, you are going to find some exceptional people in SC to do business with.  I purchased my boat from San Carlos Yachts and it was a troublefree experience.  In fact, they took care of everything.  Any impression you have received is certainly not the experience you are going to encounter with San Carlos Yachts.  Ken

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2007 03:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Charlie

Mana: 
I'm honored to have such kind words said about San Carlos Yachts!  We do work hard, try to do the best we can, and it's very, very nice to see our efforts appreciated!  From Joanne, Marisa and me, many thanks!
Charlie Bloomer

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2007 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
No worries Charlie, I will expect my normal 50% commission from any sales you get over the next year now!!!!

:shock:

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 10th, 2007 09:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Simanza

Mana: 
I bought a boat in San Carlos and it was a fantastic experience. The people at San Carlos Yacht Brokers were amazingly diligent, scrupulously honest, and a pleasure to deal with. Charlie and Joanne were absolutely wonderful.

If the boat is a US documented vessel then the transaction is all done stateside -  the escrow process is similar to buying real estate and the US Coast Guard essentially establishes clear title. Conveyancing is actually done by a US marine documentation service (there are several).

Mark

Posted: Tue Sep 11th, 2007 03:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Via Libre 1

Mana: 
Just a word on San Carlos Yacht Sales, ...We have never been treated with such professionalism in the 'States' as when we purchased our boat through them! even though our purchase was small in comparison to their typical sale, we received the same wonderful service as any 'Big' buyer....There are many who could take a lesson from Charlie! ...Honest, Safe, and Straight Forward.... Brent and Lucy (Via Libre)

Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2007 03:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
NavojoaKid

Mana: 
I agree about San Carlos Yachts. We made a small time purchase as well. It was our first time buying a boat. They made us very comfortable and walked us through the process.

I would recommend them to anyone wanting to buy a boat in San Carlos.

Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2007 05:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
verBoatin

Mana: 
Thank you all. Charlie, thank you as well.

I read a wonderful article on Latitude 38 which (in very useful detail) described a wonderful experience purchasing a boat in San Carlos.
To the rest of you my sense is you all had a favorable experiences regarding my question. Now whether you are all friends of Charlie or have a vested interest in promoting the local boat re-sale industry, I don't know. Frankly after dealing with stateside boat forums who have tried to belittle me about the idea, I don't much care anymore.

To my private messager, thank you. I liked your insight about how to find my own deal in Mexico, however due to the fact that you came up short offering some useable details and when you tried to find me a boat in Phoenix, all of a sudden I felt like you were trying to make some drug money. Maybe, I'm wrong but you don't instill confidance.

After doing research, trying to find out what it would cost to ship a boat to my neighborhood, what kind of storage I could find here and at what rate, and all the people who insulted me for even thinking about the idea, I have lost all hope.

I wish you all well, because you seem like a great community. I only wish I felt as positive about the sailing community in general. In the last month I have to admit, I have never in all my life (i'm 54), in any arena of any kind, met with as many rude, antagonistic people, intent on putting me down as I have in the sailing community on-line.

If it weren't for my love of sailing, after the last month I am tempted to support any legislation which would lead to abolish or limit any form of boating. Clearly, I am only now realizing that the sailing community has some great people, but also some of the lowest forms of human life included in its ranks.

I wish you all well, perhaps a cabin in Montana is a better fit for me.

Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2007 04:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
verBoatin

I for one, am really sorry to hear about the negative comments you've heard elsewhere about boat buying and ownership in Mexico.  From my own experience as the moderator of this board, a webmaster, a part time resident of San Carlos and a boat owner there, I think I can attest that most of those who would blow smoke at you about the experience have never been in Mexico or owned/used a boat here and have only got third hand horror story info that they pass as gospel.  To all of them i can only say Baloney, but in stronger non-PG 13 terms.

I'll give you a factoid-the two marinas in San Carlos have over 1,000 slips between them and there are also several hundred boats in the various storage areas in town.  So conservatively there are over 1500 boats and yachts in San Carlos, with probably the majority owned by Canadians and Americans.  Those people can't all be stoopid, can they?

Yes, San Carlos Yachts is an ad client so I do have an indirect interest in helping them promote their business.  My stong suggestion would be to make a trip down and meet the various brokers and ask around to other owners and make your own decision. 

Thanx

Bart

Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2007 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Charlie

Mana: 
If it were possible to unring the bell on all the negativity you've experienced, I'd be at the head of the line to pull that cord!

Sadly, there are always people all too happy to rain on someone's parade.   But Bart offers the sage advice.  First, grab a copy of Latitude 38, the sailing magazine from Northern California and read "Changes in Latitude"--any issue.  Then, come to San Carlos, experience the place and the people, look at boats, have coffee at Barracuda Bob's or any number of other places around town in the morning and keep your ears peeled before giving up your quest!

We wish you only the best of luck in your search!

Charlie

Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2007 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
maryt

Mana: 
Dear verboatin,

We live in Seattle also but spend winters in San Carlos.  We bought a sailboat down in San Carlos last year and have no complaints about the process.  Trust me, language is a not a problem.

If you are still considering buying and would like to discuss it or ask questions, feel free to call us at 206-965-8116.

Al and Mary

Posted: Sun Sep 16th, 2007 01:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
AZKLMSR

Mana: 
My experiences have been equally positive.  While I've not bought a boat in SC, I'd have no worries if I did my home work.

I've been comming down each summer since 1974, so I may be a new commer.  I call Isabel (She's a sweetie) at Marina Real the day before I come down.  She has a slip picked out for me and know's what services I want.  If I'm in a hurry, they"ll launch my boat for me.  Enrique will gas my boat (21 ft) with the same service as a 45 ft sport fisherman.  They help my wife in and out of the ramp.  I've had darn near every boat owner in the marina help her back in when needed.

Over at the SC marina, I've gotten equally good treatment at the fuel dock when buying 200 ltr of gas as a guy buying 2000.  Good folks, trying pretty hard.

I've had boats serviced in SC with no hassles.  Overall, if folks are telling you to expect trouble, I doubt they've been to SC, or they did something silly.

Go down there are go out on a charter, get the feel of the area.  You won't regret it.

Kurt

Posted: Sun Sep 16th, 2007 03:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
John S

Mana: 
verBoatin;

With all due respect to your online research on US 'sailing boards' there is no substitute for going San Carlos and see for yourself that dealing with Charlie, Marisa and Joanne is one of the best experiences you will ever encounter. And of you end up finding a sailboat and buying it- even better!

I am a licensed and bonded yacht broker in California and have done a number of boat transactions with San Carlos Yachts. You will not find a more professional, honest and downright efficient group anywhere. And I speak from experience, having just returned from a trip to the US capital of boating- Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

The cost of boat transport has risen dramatically in the last few years due to the rising costs of fuel. Still, if you do your homework, you should be able to find a boat transport service in your budget.

You will find it difficult to find a more efficient storage operation anywhere in the world than Marina Seca San Carlos. They can store about 600 vessels with metal posts on each side for hurricane/storm protection. By contrast,  I was in Marmaris, Turkey last December and all the sailboats were stored with flimsy wooden logs propping them up.

There are two marinas at San Carlos to serve boaters' needs. You should not have a problem to secure a berth if you contact them in advance.

If you are still not convinced, I can perhaps send you a copy of an article I wrote for Latitude 38 April 2006 ("Marina San Carlos, The Story of a Marina and the Family That Built It") I have been a San Carlos visitor and aficionado since 1977, and wrote at least three articles about San Carlos in Latitude 38 since late 1990's.  I would be happy to give you any information that might help you get to San Carlos and/or Mexico and get a boat. And you will not need any Spanish at all.

Hope this helps you

(John Skoriak) 

Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2007 02:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
iseadreamer

Mana: 
Dear Verboatin,

I have been reading this thread and, frankly, am confused how you feel negativity?  All these folks re: San Carlos have been kind and friendly: and, in my experience, correct in the assessments of the San Carlos area as being a really great place to do boat transactions and boat business in general.  Perhaps all your negativism results from Americans in the U.S.?  If so, that should tell you a lot.

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
verBoatin

Mana: 
Thank you all for your responses, once again.

I suppose I need to clear up one or two issues. The negativity I encountered came from other sites, local boat yards, and locally based boat transporters. I asked some very specific questions on a few web sites about hiring a surveyor, purchasing issues, etc, which I won't list here. One site, "sailnet.com" repeatedly rebuffed me and tended to avoid answering my questions. That site in particular has a couple of members who rule the roost and denegrade those who are new or not part of their inner circle. Another site, also refused to answer my questions and implied that they would not until I had listed my sailing resume first. Nuff said.
Regarding the local boat yards and transporters: after I volunteered my plans and the types of boats I was looking at, I got the impression that they (a) did not like the profession they were in, (b) did not want to answer general price range questions and (c) wanted to vent at me about all the problems that I would encounter and had a large amount of stored disgust for people who hadn't been through what they had been through.

Ok, that is the background.
Having received your responses, I feel that buying a boat in San Carlos would be a positive experience. Of that I have no doubt.

Where I am at now is I am realizing how hard it is to find people who are willing to help me with my other questions. (If I have the energy and stamina I can find my answers, I'm just pretty discouraged at this point.) I guess I might compare it to going into a ski shop asking what I need to do to plan a two week back country ski trip and only receive negative responses from the service providers as well as fellow skiing enthsusiasts. Normally you would think people would want to encourage you if they were in that business.

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 04:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
AZKLMSR

Mana: 
Nice honest letter.

Boat ownership is supposed to be fun and it sounds like you're not having fun.  I'd suggest you do a couple of things.

1)  GO to SC for a few days and relax and enjoy the prettiest place in Sonora.

2)  Charter a boat from Vince and do some sailing.  He's got a mono hull and a couple of multies that look pretty cool.

3)  talk to the folks at the SC marina.  They can help you if you want to talk to folks about moving a boat from out of country.

4)  look at the local listings and see if there is anything you like

IN the end, play with nice folks that are having fun and just forget the folks who arent.  They are missing the point

Best of Luck

Kurt

Current time is 10:36 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Sailboat Buying Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems