San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sailboat storage options?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 21st, 2015 05:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
PNW_Steve

Mana: 
Hey Everyone,
We are considering the purchase of a 32'-35' sailboat for Winter cruising. We are exploring the option of buying & storing in San Carlos or La Paz and traveling down a couple of times a year to spend 1-3 months cruising.
I have been looking at storage at Marina San Carlos and figure that I will spend around $2500 a year for dry storage & launch fees.
Any thoughts on this facility? Any suggestions for alternatives? Any reasonable options that would be less expensive?
Yah, I know $2500 a year is not a ton of money. However, I am not wealthy and every $ I spend on "non-sailing" expenses means more time at work and less time on the water. Nuf said?
Another question: Any advice regarding being a happy part time Mexico cruiser and avoiding joining the "motivated seller" group would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Everyone!!
S.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Dec 21st, 2015 07:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
On the contrary, 2500.00 IS a lot of money!

There are quite a few private homeowners with storage on their lots in the Ranchitos. Probably best to take a half day and drive the area and see which ones you like. I dont know if there is a price break over MSC.

MSC will still, generally, pick up and launch your boat IF they are comfortable getting it in and out of the yard. You would pay the flat fee for that.

There is also San Carlos Storage along the paved, Loma del Mar road.

Another dry storage lot exists at the "newer" marina out at Marina Real. I dont know the costs there, either.

And then there is dry storage at Marina Seca Guaymas.

Wherever you go, I would seriously consider taking all your electronics with you, if possible. Probably safer at your house than a storage lot, outside.

Will this be on a trailer or will you have to have it on supports? Will the mast(s) be fixed? If fixed, power lines will limit where you can store it.

My advice on avoiding being a motivated seller is to have patience in Mexico or you will get very frustrated by adversity. Things dont happen fast down here, especially repairs, official paperwork, etc.

Oh, and learn where to get good, up to the minute weather forecasts, so you dont get caught in sudden squalls or northwesters. That can turn a spouse off, real fast. A marine "ham" radio is pretty important, if you are going to be out for 1-3 months. That, and your VHF marine radio become vitally important for getting local and regional information.

If we assume that the PNW stands for Pacific Northwest, do research flights to the San Carlos area. It is not that easy or cheap. La Paz is not serviced very well, either, but not as bad as the San Carlos area. We keep hearing that may change.......but we've heard that before.

Posted: Mon Dec 21st, 2015 08:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
PNW_Steve

Mana: 
Thanks for the info!!
More about the boat:
32'-35 Sailboat with fixed mast and no trailer. It will require a storage facility with a lift of some sort.
Definitely will be removing the electronics including Ham SSB.
Access is one of the main reasons we are looking at SC. We hauled our 5th wheel down last year and it was a fun trip. We can also fly to Tucson nonstop for $117 assuming flexible travel dates. Add $65 for Tufesa (sp?) and two of us can be in SC for less than $500 in travel cost.
We have also considered buying a "beater" pickup truck and leaving it in Tucson as our "commuter".

Posted: Mon Dec 21st, 2015 08:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
To my way of thinking if you are thinking on coming down for a month, look at storing in the water. You don,t want to waste time launching and pulling. if the boat has more then about 5.5 ft draft there maybe some days you may not be able to launch.
You can always start with San Carlos and move to La Paz if it looks better to you. I think it will cost more in La Paz. You could also leave your boat in Puerto Escondido just south of Loreto in Baja.
We took a vacation many years ago, and if you went to complain, you did not have to complain about the same thing twice, if you went to have fun it was the best time ever. Mexico is a lot like that.
We had a boat in San Carlos for 6 years ( we come down for 4 to 6 months) at the end we were starting to have less fun, so sold the boat.

Posted: Mon Dec 21st, 2015 10:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
PNW_Steve

Mana: 
Steve W. wrote: To my way of thinking if you are thinking on coming down for a month, look at storing in the water. You don,t want to waste time launching and pulling. if the boat has more then about 5.5 ft draft there maybe some days you may not be able to launch.
You can always start with San Carlos and move to La Paz if it looks better to you. I think it will cost more in La Paz. You could also leave your boat in Puerto Escondido just south of Loreto in Baja.
We took a vacation many years ago, and if you went to complain, you did not have to complain about the same thing twice, if you went to have fun it was the best time ever. Mexico is a lot like that.
We had a boat in San Carlos for 6 years ( we come down for 4 to 6 months) at the end we were starting to have less fun, so sold the boat.

I hope to spend 1-3 months at a time and the boat will definitely be kept in the water during that time.... I have found that the sailing experience suffers somewhat without the water :)
It is the 8-9 months of the year that we are back in Seattle that I would want dry storage for.
We have spent time in San Carlos in our 5th wheel and really enjoy the place. The fact that it is the easiest place we have found so far to get to that offers access to the kind of cruising that we would like to do makes it even more attractive to me as a place to keep our boat.  
Given that you tried something very similar to what we are looking to do, what was it the sucked the fun out?
I see two stories of Mexico cruisers. The first is: "We had sooo much fun last year that we cant wait to go back!!".  And the second:" Great boat, needs cleaning, owner motivated and price reduced. All offers considered.".....
I (obviously) prefer to be able to tell the first story.

Last edited on Mon Dec 21st, 2015 11:10 pm by PNW_Steve

Posted: Tue Dec 22nd, 2015 12:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I owned a boat in San Carlos for over 10 years and kept it at Marina Seca, the storage arm of Marina San Carlos.  Mine was a 29' overall power boat and on its own trailer.  I was completely satisfied with the services provided by Marina Seca.  I had no issues with security during that time.  I  recommend them.  
I've also watched them move sail boats not on an owner trailer and have been impressed with the care taken in and out.  Also note there are no power lines or height restrictions between the marina and the storage yard for fixed mast boats.  That is not true of many other locations, like private home owners in the Ranchitos/elsewhere.  So unless you really enjoy stepping and un-stepping the mast, stick with Marina Seca.
Bart

Posted: Tue Dec 22nd, 2015 02:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
The 8 to 9 months storage you may want to keep the boat in the water. If you are only going to be gone 5 months between visits.
It seem to me that people that had a boat in the states and they had used a slip, liked to keep their boat in the water. People that had a trailer boat in the states wanted dry storage. Both have their good and bad points. We used dry storage and had a boat that had a 6 foot draft. 2 different time we had over a week wait getting the boat launched, once there was not a day time high tide for a week, ( you need a high tide to launch a 6 foot deep boat) another time the trailer the yard uses was broken. Then you may have time to get your boat out so a month vacation could only be 2 week on the water. Then a couple days getting the boat ready and a couple day putting the boat in storage.
Mexico is hard to explain, and being a part timer, I think, is harder then full time. You live in the states and they do things one way and then you go to Mexico and you need to change gears and change your mined set. It is things like in the states when you are told it will be ready tomorrow, they mean it should be ready tomorrow, In Mexico when they say tomorrow they mean not now. Would you like to guess how many times I was told tomorrow when the trailer was broken.
Or like having a 60 kph speed limit sign in front of a speed bump that if you do not come to a complete stop you will take out the front end of your car. Or every time you go to Mexico you have to tell 50 people, Yes it is safe to be going to Mexico. It seem like every time you do paper work in Mexico, the way you did it last time is now wrong.
Don't get me wrong we loved the time we spent in Mexico, It was just time to move on.

Posted: Tue Dec 22nd, 2015 04:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
PNW_Steve

Mana: 
I have been visiting Mexico for 30+ years. My longest stay so far has been a month. Hardy "full time" but I do get, very clearly, that things do work differently :)
I can do "MaƱana".....
Back to storage: The dry storage facility that I use here has several large forklifts that are capable of moving boats up to the mid 30's in length. They drive them down the launch ramp and gently set them in the water.
At the local place here I can call the day before and tell them what time I will arrive and they have my boat ready for me.
I would hope that, in San Carlos, if I notify them a few weeks in advance and follow up a few days or a week in advance that I would have a good shot at having the boat in the water by the time I get there. If I arrive and have to wait a day or two.... Just come find me at the Soggy Peso...

Posted: Tue Dec 22nd, 2015 04:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
PNW_Steve

Mana: 
Oops... Do they have a similar transport system at Marina San Carlos?

Posted: Tue Dec 22nd, 2015 04:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Yes - hydraulic trailer - works very well.

I believe , but have not used , their system where they will launch boat and have ready for your arrival - best call the Marina office and ask.

:)

Posted: Tue Dec 22nd, 2015 05:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
PNW_Steve

Mana: 
The system here is pretty slick.

Call the day before. Boat is ready & waiting at the visitors dock when I arrive. Load up & go.

On my way back in I call them (VHF or cell). Tie up at the visitors dock & unload. Eat lunch at the marina restaurant. After lunch the boat is on stands in the storage yard. I take 20 minutes to wash/flush with fresh water. DONE!

Posted: Wed Dec 23rd, 2015 12:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Private storage would require standing the mast every time. Marina Seca San Carlos is the best option but expensive. No overhead power lines and a slick boat launching system. The other option is Marina Seca Guaymas. A full service yard, check it out when you are here.

Posted: Wed Dec 23rd, 2015 12:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Forgot to add that keeping it on the water has risks of theft and leaks. Recently a boat sprung a leak and went aground. Not worth saving a few pesos IMO.

Posted: Fri Dec 25th, 2015 01:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
joncyn

Mana: 
Steve
Marina Seca is the place to be great security very reasonable we store a 36' sailboat for 149.95 per month they can even arrange to have somone check on your baby during your absence very professional we leave all our electronics on board with no problems great yard to work on your boat if you wish plus you can live onboard in the yard during that time. We do have an SSB on board for weather and communication its a big investment unless you intend to go further you can pruchase a receive only raido from Radio Shack just make sure your VHF is newer with a good antenna and a strong signal.
Don't wait do it as soon as you can SC is a great place to start from or just hang out in

Posted: Fri Dec 25th, 2015 09:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
PNW_Steve

Mana: 
joncyn wrote: Steve
Marina Seca is the place to be great security very reasonable we store a 36' sailboat for 149.95 per month they can even arrange to have somone check on your baby during your absence very professional we leave all our electronics on board with no problems great yard to work on your boat if you wish plus you can live onboard in the yard during that time. We do have an SSB on board for weather and communication its a big investment unless you intend to go further you can pruchase a receive only raido from Radio Shack just make sure your VHF is newer with a good antenna and a strong signal.
Don't wait do it as soon as you can SC is a great place to start from or just hang out in

It is looking like Marina Seca may well be our best option.

Thenk you all for the good info.
I'll be most happy to invite you over for a coldie when we get to SC!!

Posted: Fri Dec 25th, 2015 09:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
PNW_Steve

Mana: 
One more thing...

The SSB is a must have for me.

73's

Posted: Mon Jan 18th, 2016 02:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
scirocco

Mana: 
Hi Steve,
I have a 33' Frers on a nice gooseneck triple axle trailer that we hauled from Florida to SC.  I keep it on the trailer in Marina Seca, have done so for 5 years, at about half the cost of having it on stands.  I have the crane put the boat in and out every winter leave it on the trailer mast up in the summer.  Trailer never goes in the water.  Over 5 years it has saved me almost 5000.00 that way. 
FYI  Boat and trailer are being put up for sale now.
Jon

Posted: Mon Jan 18th, 2016 02:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
PNW_Steve

Mana: 
scirocco wrote: Hi Steve,
I have a 33' Frers on a nice gooseneck triple axle trailer that we hauled from Florida to SC.  I keep it on the trailer in Marina Seca, have done so for 5 years, at about half the cost of having it on stands.  I have the crane put the boat in and out every winter leave it on the trailer mast up in the summer.  Trailer never goes in the water.  Over 5 years it has saved me almost 5000.00 that way. 
FYI  Boat and trailer are being put up for sale now.
Jon

Thanks Jon!
That is a great idea.

Current time is 02:14 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Sailboat storage options? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems