San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Chandlers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2013 02:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Sandettie

Mana: 
I will be in San Carlos in early February and will need some new goodies for my boat. In particular, I need a roll-up inflatable dinghy and outboard, new safety gear, and upgrades in some items to make the boat ready for a Pacific crossing, and I will need local and Pacific paper charts.

Is there a good marine chandlery in the area? When bringing gear in from the US (I fly into LA on 8th Feb), is there a tax concession at say, West Marine, and again at the border for yachts in transit? If not, at what percentage is import tax levied?

Having never been to San Carlos before, I am not sure of what to expect, although this website appears to be a great resource.

I'm looking forward to meeting locals, getting stuck into the local tucker, and enjoying a good break before heading back across the ocean to Oz and SE Asia.

David

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2013 02:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
ezmony

Mana: 
Aaaa I'm missing something. Where is your boat if you've never been here.....

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2013 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
David:

Not sure you have the right San Carlos. Data for this San Carlos:

Location: 15 Km Northwest of Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico on the Gulf of California, also known as the Sea of Cortez.

Latitude/Longitude: 27° 56'N 111° 03'W

Do you have us confused with the San Carlos on the Pacific coast of Baja?

To answer your question, you will be far better off to get your needed items in the US-less expensive and better selection. Once they are on the boat, they become part of the boat and no separate duty or tax on those items when entering Mexican waters.

Where is the boat now?

Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2013 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Sandettie

Mana: 
Hi, and thanks for your reply. The boat is currently in San Carlos, Sonora. I need a few bits and pieces but, most notably, a new dinghy and outboard. I had hoped there may be a decent chandlery either in San Carlos, Guaymas or Hermosillo to avoid the need for several trips north to Phoenix or the Pacific coast.

When I fly in to the US, I have booked a couple of days stay in a hotel near West Marine in Phoenix so that I can do a bit of local shopping before heading south across the border.

Thanks again and any advice you can offer will be well received.

Cheers
David.

Last edited on Tue Jan 15th, 2013 02:36 am by Sandettie

Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2013 12:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
David

How are you traveling from Phoenix to SC?

Bart

Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2013 01:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Apple Gal

Mana: 
You can often find a lot of stuff here used from other boaters. I know that Garth has several dingy, and maybe motors. There is a boaters swap meet the first Saturday of every month, so stuff can be had if you are patient. If you want new, then yes get it in the States.

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2013 12:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Sandettie

Mana: 
I expect to travel via bus. I haven't explored the possibility of car hire, but I imagine there may be a benefit if I have much to bring in with me.

I still can't deduce if there are any tax concessions for yachts in transit as exist in many other parts of the world.

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2013 01:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Sandettie

Mana: 
The swap meet sounds like fun. Thanks for the advice.

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2013 05:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
susswein

Mana: 
Is the next swap meet going to be on Saturday February 2nd?

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2013 11:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
The dingy and outboard can be brought in duty free as sporting goods. Other stuff will depend on what you are bringing. I would suggest you announce your travel plans here in advance and you may be able to catch a ride down to SC with your gear. No yacht in transit tax concessions that I am aware of, but there are other concessions like sporting goods.

Bart

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 12:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
Well have we sailed off into the sunset yet??? Inquiring minds you know.

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 02:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Sandettie

Mana: 
As for me, no, I have not yet weighed anchor and set sail. Nor do I expect to do so, for some little time yet. I am currently in Phoenix, having just arrived from SE Asia as I had forecast.

Currently, and purely to satisfy your inquiring mind, I am buying requisite items and enjoying some fine steaks following a year's diet which almost universally included rice and pork.

From a sailing viewpoint, should you need to investigate further, you may wish to view the international Cruiser Log Forum and update yourself on my movements. I moderate there under the name 'Auzzee'. My plans have also been revealed through the pages of the excellent US sailing Mag, Cruising World.

Meanwhile I wonder if now, you might consider the question I originally asked, for it would help me greatly to receive advice on chandleries from a local expert.

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 02:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
Well---FYI there is still ONE chandlery here and  they can,and will, get you anything your little heart desires.

And no there is no free duty on anything for your boat, and you will get charged in excess of 15% duty on anything the Aduana deems taxable.

In my humble but expert opinion.

"Sail on-Sail on-Sailer"

Last edited on Mon Feb 11th, 2013 02:48 pm by ezmony

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 03:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Sandettie

Mana: 
Thank you for your response. However, 'what my little heart desires' is accuracy. Coincidentally, I have just received a notification regarding tax free imports to Mexico and, ezmony, your advise is seriously flawed.

Items for boats which are genuinely for repairs and maintenance and generally required items for safe passage can be brought in duty free to Mexico. A laptop and golf clubs would not qualify, but an EPIRB and AIS would.

It requires that the boat owner has a Temporary Import Permit for the vessel (very inexpensive and valid for 10 years). The TIP tells authorities the boat is effectively in transit. The import is done at the point of the entry of the goods; whether that is at the border or at Hermisillo airport.

A document from a marina or boatyard, confirming the items are legitimately required for the boat will help the import process. This puts a degree of responsibility on the boatyard which guarantees veracity.

The means whereby goods can be imported legitimately appear quite simple and are well documented.

For those who are refitting or updating the systems on their boats this is good news and generally mirrors the customs' requirements of most seafaring nations.

Last edited on Mon Feb 11th, 2013 04:08 pm by Sandettie

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
"a document from a marina or boatyard" I believe that to be a Mexican marina or boat yard? There may be the "fly in the ointment". Suerte.

Last edited on Mon Feb 11th, 2013 04:09 pm by ezmony

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 04:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Sandettie

Mana: 
Why so cynical? I don't think large, professional boatyards in Mexico will be different in policy from their peers in Thailand, France, India, Greece or Sydney.
Given the quality of your advice to date, I feel I should doubt your assessment of local San Carlos marine professionals.

My limited experience with them to date has been harmonious, respectful and I believe, honest.

My experience is boatyards only tend to rip-off people who have tried to do the same to them.

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
Boy a little information is dangerous.

IF you are in PHX and the boat is here, you need detailed documentation regarding the vessel/equipment from the marina/storage facility here. There inlies a potential problem. The Aduana is going to want to see this documentation
when you bring you're stuff across the boarder, lest he demand tax compensation.

And I'm not being cynical, just pragmatic.

Suerte.

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 04:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Sandettie

Mana: 
Okay let me put this as simply as I can.

I will be at my boat in San Carlos.
I will audit the requirements for a Pacific crossing.
I will order the goods from West Marine or Defender.
I will go to the marina manager and sit down with him to drink a coffee and discuss the items I have ordered.
I will seek his confirmation that the goods are for the purpose of enabling a safe passage.
I will ask him to provide me with a document to that effect.
I will then import the goods and provide authorities with the appropriate paperwork, including the document in question.
I will pay tax on items where necessary.
I will install the goods on the boat and go sailing.

We agree on one thing: A little information is dangerous.

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 06:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
David

A part of the confusion here is the scenario described in your last post is somewhat different than that described in your initial post.

Ezmony is quite correct that if you buy goods from a local chandler, you'll pay a retail price that already incorporates the import duties.  Your intransit status won't matter in that case.

Which yard or marina is the boat in now?  Someone here may be able to point you to the appropriate person to assist in your documentation of needs.

A TIP may be considered an intransit document in your case.  Since most boats in San Carlos don't leave here for other countries, it is viewed as a temporary import permit to allow a non-Mexican vessel to remain in and be used in Mexican waters. Don't forget to to turn it in and get a receipt for it at your last Mexican port of call before you depart on your voyage.

And FYI, ezmony has imported and refurbished more than one vessel in Mexico.

I'll go back to my earlier post.  If you'll announce your travel needs here, you may be able to hitch a ride from Phoenix back to San Carlos with your new goodies in hand.

Bart

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 06:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Sandettie

Mana: 
Thanks Bart. In my initial post I said I will be in San Carlos in early February and will need some new goodies for the boat. At the moment I am buying small items only until I get to the boat and do a complete audit, then I will do the buying/importing. There has been no deviation from that.

Perhaps ezmony can benefit from the knowledge that duty free is possible. And I apologise if I upset anyone but I guess when someone is seriously seeking assistance, posing speculation as fact is not at all helpful.

I am currently awaiting the delivery of a satellite phone and as soon as I have an idea of the day I will have it, I can start to make plans to get to Marina San Carlos.

If there is then a possibility of hitching a ride, I will be most appreciative. Thanks again and very best wishes.

Current time is 07:49 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Chandlers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems