San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Public Ramps in San Carlos/Guaymas  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 2nd, 2012 10:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
MartinZ

Mana: 
I'm thinking about exploring the San Carlos/Guaymas area with my 16' Neptune.  I can't seem to find much current information on public boat ramps and what they cost.  I'd prefer to put in at San Carlos but am open to any options in the area.

Can anyone give me current information and pricing?

Thanks!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Mar 2nd, 2012 10:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ian948

Mana: 
I don't think there are any "public" ramps as in free .

Both marinas have ramps.

Might be worth asking them as with your size not sure if you would also require the insurance / tip etc.

Good luck.

Posted: Fri Mar 2nd, 2012 10:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
MartinZ

Mana: 
Thanks.  Yeah, I'm so small that I'm happy to put in at the panga ramps.

Posted: Fri Mar 2nd, 2012 11:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
The easiest that comes to mind is off the beach adjacent to Playa Blanca , I see a couple of Pangas there and you can drive in there pretty close , might be worth checking out.

:)

Posted: Sat Mar 3rd, 2012 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
MartinZ

Mana: 
Sorry I'm a Kineno.  Where's Playa Blanca?

Posted: Sat Mar 3rd, 2012 06:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Playa Blanca - is out towards the Soggy Peso - Algadonnes Beach - its the huge white condo building.

Also as I was driving this am I noticed Posada beach ( turn off before the Posada Condos turning ) which also has decent access to the beach - this time on the opposite side from Algadonnes beach. Usually if winds from the NW this side is calmer , equally in summer we sometimes get SW winds and the Algadonnes side is calmer.

Hope of some help !

Good luck

Posted: Sun Mar 4th, 2012 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
ClintandJanet

Mana: 
Wouldn't a boat on a trailer sink in the sand on both beaches? Algodones and La Posada beach. We are also looking for places to launch and it seemed to us that we would have to have a small boat on sand tires to move from the dirt road over the sand to the water. We haven't done it yet. Has anyone been successful in launching a boat on the dirt area in front of the fishing village on Bahia, I mean out between the Marina and the fishing village?

Posted: Sun Mar 4th, 2012 04:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Launching across a beach may wind up costing you more in fees to get hauled out then paying the fee to use a marina ramp.  You will find links to both marinas at http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/marineservice.html

The other issue after launching over the beach is security for your vehicle while on the water.  Fees are reasonable IMHO.  Ramp fee is about $4-$4.50 each way.  How much is the wrecker going to cost???

Bart

Posted: Sun Mar 4th, 2012 05:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Oops !

I was thinking it was light - as in carry or drag able :-(

If you have to use the trailer then the marinas are only way to go

Thanks for spotting that Bart !

Posted: Sun Mar 4th, 2012 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
MartinZ

Mana: 
I'm happy to use the marina ramp.  I was just concerned that they would require insurance which I don't have.  Can I leave my vehicle at the marina parking area for multiple nights?  I'll check the website and maybe give them a call, but if anyone has any particular insights I'd be interested.

Thanks!

Posted: Sun Mar 4th, 2012 11:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
You need to contact them regarding insurance but think it is required to use their facilities.  Lots of very expensive fiberglass in both marinas.  All you need is liability to keep them happy and you can order online at http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/insure.html  Coverage for a 16' sailboat is $13.50 per day and $135/year for basic liability.

Bart

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2012 09:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
barato

Mana: 
Martin---

at the esterito at the head of the bay (turn right into the fishing camp just before the little bridge), there's a dirt/concrete slope that will work as a ramp for a smallish trailerable boat at high tide.  this won't work for anything with much draft but a swing keel 16'er should be doable.  i've launched there many times and have seen people launching trailer boats up to maybe 18' plus lots of pangas.  no soft sand involved but the passage out to the main harbor is shallow and narrow, and completely non-doable at less than 1/2 tide for anything bigger than a portabote or inflatable.

it's right next to one family's place but they're very nice folks and happy to let you launch there if you ask.  they sell fish and bait too (excellent quality fish, good prices) so you might buy some as a thank you.  the middle aged dad is named Victor and his wife is Mercedes.

Last edited on Mon Mar 5th, 2012 09:25 pm by barato

Posted: Mon Mar 5th, 2012 10:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
MartinZ

Mana: 
Thanks Barato! 

I wondered about that little rampa.  That sounds like what I'm looking for.  I can tip my mast for getting under the bridge.  Plus, I like hanging with pangeros.

Muchas gracias!

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2012 05:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
ClintandJanet

Mana: 
barato wrote:
Martin---

at the esterito at the head of the bay (turn right into the fishing camp just before the little bridge), there's a dirt/concrete slope that will work as a ramp for a smallish trailerable boat at high tide.  this won't work for anything with much draft but a swing keel 16'er should be doable.  i've launched there many times and have seen people launching trailer boats up to maybe 18' plus lots of pangas.  no soft sand involved but the passage out to the main harbor is shallow and narrow, and completely non-doable at less than 1/2 tide for anything bigger than a portabote or inflatable.

it's right next to one family's place but they're very nice folks and happy to let you launch there if you ask.  they sell fish and bait too (excellent quality fish, good prices) so you might buy some as a thank you.  the middle aged dad is named Victor and his wife is Mercedes.

Barato, when you launch at the fishing village where do you park?

Posted: Sun Mar 11th, 2012 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
daveverner

Mana: 
I have used the ramps at both marinas, and purchased ins, but have never been asked for it?? I'm not sure that ins is a reguirement.

Last edited on Sun Mar 11th, 2012 03:19 pm by daveverner

Posted: Wed Mar 21st, 2012 04:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I think insurance is only required if you get a slip. Best to check with them of course.

Posted: Tue Apr 10th, 2012 01:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Fairwind

Mana: 
You buy the insurance for one day or week and you are good to go forever...Be very careful with your navigation..

Posted: Tue Apr 10th, 2012 01:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Following Fairwind's advice is an invitation to a whole lot of headaches, for you and everyone around you.  You never need insurance until you really need it.  Seems to me that if you can't/won't maintain at least liability insurance to protect other boaters property and the environment, you have no business owning a boat. 

Anybody remember the saga of JustJim?  See the thread at http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/forum2/2477.html on why you need insurance.

Bart

Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2012 08:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
fishinmagishin

Mana: 
We used the channel on the east side of the bahia.. With motor tilted up we were still digging in the mud.. Then on the way out I had afternoon wind that caused me mucho concern for hitting the rocks and more mud-bogging..
I am sympathetic to all the newbies to San Carlos, not long ago I was one and wanted to skin the cat on $$$..
We moor at Marina SC and they ask for insurance when signing in.. Not sure about launching only and not needing insurance..
About using the Marina SC lot for overnight parking?? I doubt it.. I had a nice note on my boat trailer about using there lot for overnight parking.. And that is with me a paying customer..
Heed the suggest of 'caution' when learning the ropes of San Carlos..

Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2012 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
bartmanaz wrote: Following Fairwind's advice is an invitation to a whole lot of headaches, for you and everyone around you.  You never need insurance until you really need it.  Seems to me that if you can't/won't maintain at least liability insurance to protect other boaters property and the environment, you have no business owning a boat. 

Anybody remember the saga of JustJim?  See the thread at http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/forum2/2477.html on why you need insurance.

Bart

SOOOOOO TRUE!! All should read this saga.

This Mans experience should prove to Newbes that hiring a local captain, till you learn the ropes, is a smart thing to do.

Last edited on Mon Jun 4th, 2012 09:10 pm by Jimmy

Current time is 07:52 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Public Ramps in San Carlos/Guaymas Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems