San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
First timer trailer-sailing in Sonora  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Nov 6th, 2011 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
matthepp

Mana: 
Hey all,
I appreciate all the great info available on this forum.  The family and some friends are planning a Thanksgiving week sailing adventure to Sonora.  The plan is to trailer down our Catalina 22 to Kino and sail/camp on Tiburon for several days, weather permitting.  We've been down there once before kiteboarding and had a blast.  It looks like, in order to bring the boat, we need to get the TIP at km 21 south of Nogales.  For that we need  (Colorado) boat registration, trailer registration (which might be a little tricky), and hauling vehicle registration.  In addition we'll have to get fishing license in Kino and a Seri tiburon permit in Kino.  I guess Mexican boat insurance is not required to anchor/day sail. 

If any of this seems incorrect/incomplete/insane, I'd love to hear y'alls input.
Fair winds,
Matt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Nov 6th, 2011 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
Boat liability ins will be required if you go to a marina, they will ask for it. Not sure if it is required by law. You did not mention Car ins. law requires liability. Also need All registration, Two friends when down some time ago(6 years) the car in one name and the boat in the others name, After some hour long talking it was decide that was OK.

Posted: Sun Nov 6th, 2011 11:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Matt,

Recommend getting the TIP online - very quick you will normally have within a week by DHL or Fedex , before you leave. Worked like a dream for me and also a buddy who did it online few weeks back.

I believe you just put your trailer VIN number on the application and it is covered by the boats TIP.

Ramp at Kino used to be $25 haul in and out - worth using their tractor not your truck !!

Cheers

Ian ( ex Pagosa )

Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2011 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
barato

Mana: 
how are your boat handling skills? the area between Kino and Tiburon has a scary rep for crazy currents due to tidal rip (due to all water of the SOC trying to shove through the narrow gaps between Midriff islands). like tidal currents of 6+ kts. you have a kicker? not trying to scare you but you definitely want to read up on it first and maybe talk to some locals for best route for safe passage in a sailboat.

Posted: Tue Nov 15th, 2011 10:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
matthepp

Mana: 
Thanks for the heads up.  I've heard about the currents in the Infiernillo Channel.  I've heard it's more moderate if you're further south in the open.  We've got a 10 HP motor in case.
So I think I might have border issues as the boat registration is current in my name, but the trailer has permanent Arizona plates from a previous owner.  Do you think I'll make it through?

Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2011 01:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hook

Mana: 
You dont mention if you're coming to San Carlos. Are you?

If not, there are no marinas in Kino, so I doubt you'll need a TIP. Unless, of course, they insist at K21.

Car liability is NOT mandatory in Mexico, I believe. Look at all the Mexicans driving around without it. Just highly recommended.

Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2011 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
matthepp

Mana: 
Hey Hook,
We aren't planning on visiting San Carlos on this trip, just Kino. I would love to avoid the TIP paperwork. Just using the Kino ramp and anchoring with the 22' Catalina for a week. Last year I just had a blast kiting at Kino. Perfect 9-12m conditions 6 out of 7 days.
So here's my latest idea: my friend who is also traveling down has a current trailer registration (for a different trailer). If we have that maybe we can get by?

Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2011 11:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Photoshop is a very creative software program, Matt.

Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2011 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I would get some local advice from the Kino area. I am not sure if there are safe anchorages around Tiburon. Previous comments about currents need to be heeded. Try to time transit around the island at slack tide. Launching in Kino can be quite an adventure if the sea kicks up. Good luck and have fun.

Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2011 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Sumner

Mana: 
RichD wrote: ..... Launching in Kino can be quite an adventure if the sea kicks up. Good luck and have fun.
First we are new on the forum and hope to do the Sea of Cortez at some point.  We've only been sailing a couple years but have made it to Canada, some western states and Florida.  We have a MacGregor 26S, the classic, not the high HP one, and last spring added an Endeavour 37 as a second boat for a while.  We would be towing the Mac down there.

Now the question.  Kino looks like for us a good place to start an extended trip from, so I've been seeking info on the place.  I found a place there to safely leave the tow vehicle and have seen that there are a couple ramps there, but don't know where.  Could someone give me a location so that I could Google Earth them and also keep the info for later.

Thanks,

Sumner and Ruth

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2011 09:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hook

Mana: 
What is your cruise speed and range under power in that Mac?

Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2011 11:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Sumner

Mana: 
Hook wrote: What is your cruise speed and range under power in that Mac?
It is the displacement...

...hull, so max speed is about 7 knots.  We usually run between 5-6 if we are on the outboard. 

I installed a 19 gallon inboard tank ...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-36.html

...and we get 9-10 mpg, so on the tank 160 miles would leave us a cushion,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Posted: Thu Nov 17th, 2011 12:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
Hook you got me thinking about Car liability is NOT mandatory in Mexico.
The first 4 site I checked said that it was mandatory, then I hit a site that said "Mandatory  automobile liability insurance became law in Jalisco  October 4, 1999" so that made me think that maybe there was not a national law. so did more looking.
 More site with statements like Under Mexican law, it is a felony to not carry at least civil liability insurance issued by a Mexican-based company.
 Then I found this
The US State Department strongly recommends you purchase a full coverage insurance policy that will cover the cost of bail. Please be aware that if you are involved in an automobile accident, you will be taken into police custody until it is determined who is at fault and whether you have the ability to pay any penalty.

I think that explains the reason why so many say mandatory/necessary insurance is needed but it lead me to believe that you may be right that insurance is not mandatory by law.

Steve

Posted: Thu Nov 17th, 2011 01:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
The guide book that I have show the ramp on the beach next to the pier.

Here are some way point that I have use and a lot that have been given to me for anchor, but remember most are open road stead so if the wind changes they could become lee shore.
Isla Pelicano
28' 48.96  111' 58.15
28' 48.37  111' 57.98
south of town
28' 45.75  111' 56.455
Isla Tiburon
28' 47.16  112' 16.2
28' 45.94  112' 16.46
28' 45.44  112' 19.41
28' 53.5    112' 33.6
Isla Turner
28' 43.77  112' 17.5
28' 43.89  112' 17.86
Isla San Esteban
28' 41.36  112' 32.75
28' 41.38  112' 32.76
28' 43.81  112' 34.36

Posted: Thu Nov 17th, 2011 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Sumner

Mana: 
Steve W. wrote: The guide book that I have show the ramp on the beach next to the pier."

Thanks.  Looks like ....

...it is 6-7 miles from the.....

.... enclosed storage yard.

Thanks for all of the info guys.  It will help us and Matt you guys have a great trip and please post a trip report and pictures when you get a chance,

Sum and Ruth

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Posted: Thu Nov 17th, 2011 09:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
matthepp

Mana: 
Thanks all.  I think we have it figured out so we can get a tip.  we re-registered so the hauling vehicle, trailer, and boat are all registered in my friend's name. 
The ramp shown in the post above is at the Islandia Marina:
islandia
You can see in their photos that the ramp is a little 'rustic.'  We might be able to launch out swing-keel Catalina 22 there.   There is a bigger ramp north of Kino Nuevo, including a tractor launch service.  Contact the club deportivo.  I've heard there can be some problematic on-shore swell when the nortes get blowing and to watch for rocks just to the south of the launch.  I'll try to post a trip report on our return.
Cheers,

Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2011 01:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Sumner:

IMO, if there is a way you could get dropped in Kino and then end up your trip in San Carlos, it would be the way to go.

If we assume that you would be doing your trip during the traditional winter sailing months, it's no fun beating your way back north up to Kino, past Punta Baja.

Consider a route that takes you across to Bahia de Los Angeles region, including Puerto Refugio (I trust you have read about the sometimes hellacious winds in this region) and then south to La Paz. This is where cruisers traditional depart for mainland Mexico from Mazatlan south, or where they turn back north and retrace their route. Once you make the Concepcion area, again, you could cross back to San Carlos and be certain that you could retrieve the boat in virtually any conditions. The same cant be said of Kino. And the close anchorages to the Kino ramps are marginal. Lots of good anchorages, slips and an excellent boat ramp at Marina San Carlos.

Of course, this means having the vehicle and trailer shuttled between the two points. I expect you could find someone to do this, by plying the San Carlos message boards. I would not be opposed to doing this; the drive is not that far and the road to Kino has recently been improved. I have ferried kayakers up there more than once: by boat and by car. Lots of vehicle/storage options here. And a very comfortable town to conclude your journey. The same cant be said of Kino, IMO.

EDIT: I guess one option would be to leave the trailer in Kino and then simply hire someone to drive you to Kino from San Carlos. A slip for a day for you would probably be about 15.00.

Matt: will the friend, whose name the vehicles have been registered under, be accompanying you?

Last edited on Fri Nov 18th, 2011 05:34 pm by Hook

Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2011 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
matthepp

Mana: 
Yeah, he's pulling the boat with his vehicle.  What is better than having a diesel?  Having a friend that has a diesel!

Last edited on Fri Nov 18th, 2011 05:16 pm by matthepp

Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2011 05:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Just wanted to make sure he was with you. Bringing in vehicles without the registered owner present can stop you dead. Sometimes a letter granting you permission (without him) works, sometimes it doesnt.

Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2011 10:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Lots of responces...You really need to watch the currents up there!!!

Ven e disfruta...Come and Enjoy.

Current time is 02:13 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > First timer trailer-sailing in Sonora Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems