San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Poseidon's misstress  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 25th, 2010 05:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Nice to hear from you Barb, sorry that we are celebrating what was once a tragic event for you.

I'm sure that you have information, lay out details, blue prints maybe, that might be very useful to the El Mar dive team, in making the wreck a safe dive site.

Perhaps you could contact Feliza at El Mar in San Carlos, or Tonia, the owner of their store in Mesa, AZ?

http://elmar.com/

I'm sure they can arrange for you to join them on a future voyage up to the site.

Regards

Seamus

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Mar 25th, 2010 08:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
racer59

Mana: 
130 TONS ALUMINIUM  TO MANY PACIFICOS

Posted: Thu Mar 25th, 2010 09:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Feliza

Mana: 
Barb we are soo glad hear from you, we are really happy to found the Poseidon, Pato is very excited, you know that his experience at that day mark his life forever, we are putting the full information together and I will love to send you pictures and more information about it. Will take us at least two more days, can you please send me a personal e-mail you can find our information in the el mar web site and will respond you back with a package to you in a couple days, regards!

Posted: Sat Mar 27th, 2010 05:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
pastrybarb

Mana: 
I believe I have all the schematics of the boat when it was assayed before we went though the Panama Canal delivering the boat to San Carlos. I'll be happy to look for anything I have and get with Tonia. After sitting on this info for a couple of days now, I am both happy and sad, but it will bring much needed closure for me.

Posted: Wed Mar 31st, 2010 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Feliza

Mana: 
Please check this web site, there is a information about it and pictures.

http://www.whatsupsancarlos.com/2010/02/16/poseidon/

Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2010 02:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
pastrybarb

Mana: 
Feiza, I had not seen the pictures of the passengers before they had to abandon ship, or the photos of Poseidon going under. Wow! What can I say except that it's very emotional looking at those photos. Who took them?

Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2010 03:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Feliza

Mana: 
I didn't send to you because I tought you already have it, sorry about it, one of the passengers took thoses pictures, I will send you a CD with all the pictures and information that we have.

Posted: Fri Apr 2nd, 2010 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
broereb

Mana: 
So, how come with all the buoys, life rafts, life vests, diver/boat below etc etc floating stuff nobody managed to tie a piece of string to something to mark the spot ? It would have made it a lot easy-er to find back. Slightly used air compressor for sale?

Posted: Fri Apr 2nd, 2010 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Feliza

Mana: 
The crew tied a bouy but didn't work, maybe because the strong wind who knows, and they went back a week later to try locate it but didn't work

Posted: Mon Apr 5th, 2010 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
DM for now

Mana: 
I think that the Location would be a secret for a while.

Posted: Tue Apr 13th, 2010 04:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Biscuit

Mana: 
How wonderful that such a lovely lady has been found. It may be sad for now, Barb, but hopefully that sadness will be eased by knowing the Princess will be soon be loved and enjoyed by many.

Posted: Tue Apr 13th, 2010 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Feliza

Mana: 
Hello, I just want update in our progress on the Poseidon, we are holding the coordenates until we make it safer, El Mar doesn't take any responsability if other people found the Poseidon and is diving without safety procedures. We will share the location after we clean the boat, for that we need founds and we are figuring out what we can do to take thoses nets off the boat and than we can share with all our friends in San Carlos and promote it. I will meet some people in Hermosillo next week and we keep posted in the progress. We are anxious to have Poseidon ready.

Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2010 06:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Biscuit

Mana: 
Out of curiosity, anyone know the current ownership situation of the boat? I don't know about something like this in territorial waters but it seems that often an insurance company assumes salvage ownership if a claim has been paid. Depending on ownership and any plans to float it, leave it lying, or move it to a different location less hazardous to fishermen, there could be a great opportunity for community involvement.

Perhaps a group of interested parties - ecologists, divers, and others committed to preserving the site - would contribute both funding and personal efforts to clear nets, safe the craft, and install anchorages far enough away from the wreck for safety's sake. It's been done quite successfully before and sounds like an exciting and satisfying prospect!

Last edited on Wed Apr 14th, 2010 06:27 am by Biscuit

Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2010 07:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Feliza

Mana: 
Hope we can get the founds thru the government if not we will go for the plan B, which is going to be something that you already mentioned, by the way, you have great ideas, thank you! Who really owns the boat now is the mexican government because was found in mexican waters. Because is already an aritificial wreck, the mexican laws protect the boat and nobody can move and do anything against the marine life in there, we wish this can be regulate like in the US but is totally different.

Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2010 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Feliza

I and others would be curious to know what the government will and will not allow vis a vis the wreck site.  Can the nets be removed and other steps taken to make the site safer for divers?  Can the site be marked to preclude more nets getting entangled?  Can anchorages be established to preclude dropping anchors and stuff on the wreck? 

I know the ferry wreck, which was created as a wreck dive site is not marked and have been told that markers have been removed for various reasons, depending on who is telling the story.

Let us know what can be done to help.

Thanx

Bart

Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2010 09:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Feliza

Mana: 
Hell Bart, I worked for Cortez Explorer 15 years ago, and I do remember the ferry was marked many times from Club Med people but the fishing pangas were stealing every time, so didn't work. Unfortunally the fishermans are not in this side of the tourist  business and conservation and they think different than us. Our idea for now is to remove the nets and make the dive safer at the Poseidon, when our crew went to dive to the boat, the visibility and conditions were ugly, we will do an other trip soon and take more pictures and video of the boat than we will present to CEDES (Ecology and Conservation of Sonora) and we will go from that. Our first idea was to open a bank account to collect founds, invite to the other dive shops to run trip to poseidon┬┤s and use part of this money toward poseidon proyect but the chief of CEDES is really friend of my family and he offer his help, of course like everything in the government, takes time and a lot paper work, next week I will be able to see if this will really happens, if not, than we will go for the plan that I already mentioned and of course we will need everybody┬┤s help.

Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2010 09:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Biscuit

Mana: 
That sounds good, Feliza! You've been familiar with the AZ/CA/MX dive communities for a long time (viva la Cortez Explorer!) so you know folks will help in any way possible... even if you do have funding from CEDES, which would be a miracle in itself. :cool:
Lynnette

Current time is 01:46 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > Poseidon's misstress Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems