San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
spearfish report  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
sueltame

Mana: 
water was excellent with a little current, viz was 40 feet temp was 82 I would guess.

lots of fish many triggers and cabria i shot 3 and could of had alot more all in the 4 lbs range. i saw some in the 8 pound.

Lalo 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2009 05:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Lalo,

I was out the weekend before last and got a couple of Yellows at the South Point of the Island, nice size, but pretty deep for free diving.

Then went back out this past weekend, but water had jumped as you said, to 82 from 80 the week before and there was nobody home.

Think we can kiss the Yellows good bye until November now.

I'm probably going to jump flotsam for Dorado until the water cools back down.

All the best!

Seamus

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2009 04:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Panga68

Mana: 
What spear gun are you shooting.  Im a fan of the magnum by JBL.

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2009 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
JBL make some fine products, the Magnum is a good all around gun.

Free Diving for Pelagic fish, usually requires stepping up to something bigger, normally a wood gun, as they are quieter.

On the production front, I use Biller guns and Riffe also make an excellent blue water type gun, but most of my bigger stuff is custom made.

Regards

Seamus

Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2009 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Galen

Mana: 
Hi guys,

I just posted about coming down in August, but I'd like your opinion on a couple things.  I use a close-range Biller 32" gun up here in Northern California.  Do you think it would suffice for anything edible in the San Carlos area.  I'm a chef, so I usually like to go after the best tasting fish when I'm spearfishing.  Any input on which ones and where to find them would be awesome.  Also, will I run into any trouble with the border crossing if I'm packing a speargun?  Thanks much,

Galen

Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2009 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Galen,

Your questions are subject to differences in opinions, this is only mine and I respect that there's fish I'm not familiar with the best preparation of and tastes do vary.

The best spearfishing months are usually when the water is cooler, but not the best for visibility and other variables.

When the water is warmer, as in Aug, my favorite fish to shoot and eat, normally go deep with the cooler water or migrate and not to be found.

ie - Yellowtail, Pargo, Cabrilla, Grouper etc.

If you are into blue water spearfishing, you can shoot Dorado this time of year, which are delicious, but you're going to need a 60" Biller of equivalent, to have much success with those.

The locals like Trigger fish for Civeche and perhaps you might get some input from others on what else is worth hunting this time of year.

Good luck!

Acwaman

Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2009 10:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Panga68

Mana: 
Well here is my two cents on that.  I use a comp magnum by JBL and have used a sawed-off magnum also by JBL.  My favorite fish to eat is trigger.  That's a good thing because they are abundant.  Keep looking up because sometimes you will get a shot at Mackerel which is number two on my list and Cabrilla is a close third.  All can be taken with your gun.  FYI  Cabrilla will shoot for their hole in the rocks,  so hold on and start pulling quickly.

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Was at San Pedro Island yesterday july 16th, and though i saw no huge fish I shot one very nice snapper and two very nice cabrillas, viz was excellent.

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 11:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Surprised to hear it, being so warm, how deep were you?

I plan to be in town and heading out for a dive, Aug 3 and 4, you around?

Thanks for the report, might have to hit the Island, was planning to look for flotsam and shoot Dorado.

Seamus

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 11:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Panga68

Mana: 
Wishing I was there.  2 weekend ago we go some nice size triggers

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 11:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Ya i will be around, in Aug, we should do some blue water, I did a few dives to 70 but didnĀ“t see what i was looking for, shot the snappers and cabrilla at south point in around 50, viz was nice!!! Was at the sea mount today and outside of martini, incredible viz, the tides have been just perfect and will continue to be nice the rest of the week, am going to try to get to the wreck this week, have shot some very nice cabrilla out there in the past but have not dove it for a while now.

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 11:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Panga68

Mana: 
Verrry Nice.  Out at window rock  we saw some very nice size Cabrilla.  good Hunting:)

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
As far as guns go my gun of choice for many years now is a mid handle riffe hawaiian, stock length of 50 inches. 95% of the fish I shoot are just fine for this gun and actually the biggest fish I have ever shot have been with my Hawaiian mid handle. 100 pound grouper and 50 pound Wahoo and 30 pound rooster fish all taken with a Hawaiian. Granted I got my ass kicked but still landed the fish. I have a Riffe Island mid handle that is what you are supposed to use when going after bigger fish but never had it in my hands when the big ones came along. Of course I have a reel on it with 150 feet of kevlar line, that of course is a life saver. I have also been quite happy with some of the cheaper omer sub guns we have been selling in the shop lately. These are inexpensive guns and great for shooting small reef fish around the 3 to 5 pound size, which really is mostly what I shoot when going after something for dinner.

Water has been nice lately hope the weather holds!!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2009 03:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Galen

Mana: 
Cool, excellent help guys.  My girlfriend brings up the point that I will have nowhere to cook any fish I might spear. . . details, details.  So, does anybody know if the border guards give you trouble for a speargun?  Also looking for a good place to stay in the area for a couple days--any suggestions?  It'll be the weekend after next. .  .

Thanks,
G

Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2009 07:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Spear guns are no problem to bring down, Posada del Desierto is a inexpensive place to stay, just above the marina terra hotel on your way up the hill to the caracol.

Posted: Thu Aug 6th, 2009 04:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Galen

Mana: 
Thanks for all the info,  I'm in Navojoa now, and will be coming to San Carlos this Friday.  I'm having dental work here, so I may not get to dive much.  But I will be kayaking and snorkeling no matter, and hopefully cooking some fresh fish in our little casita. 

-Galen

Current time is 01:43 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > spearfish report Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems