San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tell us your Shark Encounters  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 7th, 2008 01:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Hey, I just watched shark week on discovery. I thought it would be interesting to hear any of your shark encounter stories. Whether diving or fishing.  What did you see, how many and where did you see them. Did you see them Scuba diving Snorkeling, or Spearfishing. Hope there is not already a post like this. I did a search but didn't find anything.  Can't wait to hear some great stories.  :D

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Aug 7th, 2008 02:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
bombero

Mana: 
Unless the sharks have been baited (chummed), you will not see any, or very rarely will you see any.....

Posted: Thu Aug 7th, 2008 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Thats what people are saying. But then, you here of some people who have. 

Posted: Thu Aug 7th, 2008 01:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
bombero

Mana: 
Please understand, there are sharks in the Sea of Cortez, make no doubt.  My point is they do not care to be seen.  You might consider yourself lucky to have an encounter.  I was once told, by a master diver, should I see one, take a picture, because no one will believe me without that kind of proof.

Posted: Thu Aug 7th, 2008 05:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
7th_heaven

Mana: 
We seen this small hammerhead just cruising around the surface just outside of Kino this summer. We were not diving or anything just out in the boat. He let us come right up to him though.

Attachment: 100_1440.JPG (Downloaded 786 times)

Posted: Fri Aug 8th, 2008 01:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
7th_heaven wrote: We seen this small hammerhead just cruising around the surface just outside of Kino this summer. We were not diving or anything just out in the boat. He let us come right up to him though.
Thats pretty cool. The bad thing is it probably got fished out the next day!

Posted: Sat Aug 9th, 2008 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Shark populations are down by perhaps over 90% in the Gulf of California. Most of the rape and pillage occured in the late 80's and early 90's.

When I first moved here 20years ago you could still have a good chance of seaing hammerheads at the south point of the island anytime of the year. Now of course you have to consider yourself lukcy if you see them any other time other than Ocotober.

Posted: Sun Aug 10th, 2008 03:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
crazywolfe

Mana: 
    It's true, you rarely see them. I've never encountered one diving. I've been fishing and diving the area for over 20 years, and have seen only a handful. Saw 3-4 hammerheads swimming along about 10 years ago while fishing. Hooked one trolling 15 years ago, about an 8' mako, which broke-off at the boat w/my dorado lure, and then the large tiger last weekend. It's really great when we do encounter one. Need to stop Asians from cutting fins off and tossing back.....

Posted: Sun Aug 10th, 2008 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
merrilld

Mana: 
A few shark encounters:

June 1995, a friend and I saw a 4 foot Angel shark while diving in ~40 feet of water at the Light House, San Pedro.  It was laying on the bottom under a rock out cropping.  Log books sure are great for recollecting past dives.

June, 2003, same friend saw a 20 – 25 foot whale shark while boating around SC.  Picture attached.

Not very many shark encounters since 1995.  

Attachment: P6130078-small.JPG (Downloaded 733 times)

Posted: Sat Sep 20th, 2008 03:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Alibi

Mana: 
we tow our boat down and launch in san carlos and spend the month of june-july living on the boat, diving and fishing in the sea. In july while returning to SC we talked to a local spearfisherman who was comming in from diving the deep reefs off san pedro isle..he said he was at around 100'(alone) when a large hammerhead (he est. well over 10' ) approached him and was very agressive..it came right at him a couple times, it scared him enough (and he isn't easily worried) that when the shark finally cruised off he got out of the water and moved to another area to fish.

Posted: Thu Sep 25th, 2008 05:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
supex

Mana: 
Now, are we talking just San Carlos or anywhere?

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Alibi

Mana: 
I'd like to hear about all shark encounters in the sea of cortez...we launch the boat out of san carlos, and use it as our launch point into the sea..we spend the month (or longer) cruising down as far as La Paz...we have a compressor on board and spend a lot of time diving around all the islands on baja side..

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
dduke

Mana: 
San Pedro Island used to have lots of hammerheads, especially at the South Point (usually lots of current, deep), but they were mostly fished out by the Chiapaneco shark fishermen who'd camp at La Manga in the early 90s.
I did get to see some in October 2007 at South Point. A school of about 6, quite large ones (6-10 ft).
It seems a few pods have returned and hang out at the South Point during October. Let's hope they don't get fished out.

Last non-hammerhead I saw diving at San Pedro was a dusky or silky on the West side, in less than 30ft of water. Circled us about 6 times, was about 8ft and thick.

Saw a small whaleshark at SP from the boat in 2003.

Duncan

Posted: Wed May 13th, 2009 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Any new shark sightings? My brothers said he saw one last week at window rock while scubadiving 2 weeks ago. He wasn't sure what it was though. Said it was most likely a thresher and was about 8 ft long. He wasn't 100% sure though. Not a shark guru kind of guy.

Posted: Wed Jun 10th, 2009 12:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Panga68

Mana: 
Just got to see two six foot hammerheads out at the island at the south point.  Have info that a open water class from Tucson got to see them too.:D  Hope they stick around. 

Posted: Wed Jun 10th, 2009 04:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
desertdiver

Mana: 
The Hammerheads have arrived at South Point! We found sharks on both Dives Saturday and Sunday at the island. Most of our clients and 4 of our OpenWater students saw them as they were in 50'-60 of water. so if you like diving with sharks, the shark diving season in San Carlos has begun!

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Panga68

Mana: 
We saw them less than ten minutes after you left mike.  Did you see more than two?  How large did you think they were?

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 06:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
desertdiver

Mana: 
On the trip you are referring to we saw 1 Hammerhead between 7'-8' twice, then we saw a group of 5-7 sharks between 5'-8', and near the boat in 50' of water we saw another small 4'-5' shark near the entrance to the swim through. It has been over 20 years since I have seen Hammerheads this time of year.

Posted: Fri Jun 12th, 2009 02:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Panga68

Mana: 
Wow that many.  I tried to take in for the water making them look bigger than what they were.  I knew that the two I saw were in the 6 foot range.  I hope they stick around for a while.  Love to see them next time i'm out at the island.  keep us all posted thanks.:)

Posted: Fri Jun 12th, 2009 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
desertdiver

Mana: 
We are going back there this weekend, so I will let you know what they find.

Current time is 01:40 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > Tell us your Shark Encounters Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems