San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
SpearFishing?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 12:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Hi everyone. I am new to the sport of Spearfishing. I have been doing it for years in freshwater but I am going to San Carlos and would love to try it in the ocean. Does anyone in here have any good advice as to where I could go, or if there are charters that take groups out?  Last year I got a 20 lb pargo on the tip of the Island that is next to what used to be Club Med. I got it with my hawaiin sling. I now have a speargun and have been getting bass and lake trout. So i have some practice. I will be there 10th thru 15th of Aug.  Please let me know if you have any contacts or if you are welcoming new-comers into your group. Thanks :D

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 04:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
You will probably find the Pargo and alot of the other good eating reef fish, down deep in the cooler water this time of year.

If you have access to a boat, diving at the Island, San Pedro, can be good, but again, fish may be deep.

Mainly what I do this time of year, is jump flotsum out in blue water.

Flotsum can be anything that's been floating a while. Generally looking for Dorado swimming around it.

For a boat to charter, your best bet is probably Vince at Sonora Sports Center.

Think his contact info is linked on this site.

Good luck! 

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 10:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
We used to make our own flotsam with PVC pipe and a cheap plastic tarp. We would set it up and then kick back. In time there would be a selection of  fish enjoying the sombre.

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 09:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
I am going to be down there next week  10th thru the 15th of Aug.  It would sure be nice to go with some people with ocean spearfishing experience. Does Vince at Ocean Sports take groups out? I would like to sign up. Im sure I could charter a boat, but the key for me is to go with others who are already experienced.

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Vince ownes Sonora Sports Center.

The e-mail I have for him is: vradice@gmail.com

I'm guessing he's on a sail boat chater right now, as he normally monitors this forum and would have chimed in by now.

He's probably your best bet, with this short notice.

In addition, the charter boat, El Duque, runs several free diving spearfishing trips each year.

Can find them at: divecortez.com

But nothing going till Dec.

Steve Calbert, of Catch 22, which is linked from the fishing forum, will no doubt charter you a boat and have a guy take you out to go fishing and allow you to jump in on flotsum.

Good luck!

Posted: Mon Aug 4th, 2008 12:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Wow... thanks for the info!  I was also thinking of taking a day to spearfish from the shore. I have been looking on Googel Earth and seems like there are a lot of accesible areas that you can drive to.  Or, at least get to on a jet ski (we have two).  Are there any places that any of you could recomend?  And, what kind of fish could I expect to see, and what are good eating? Thanks for all replys.

Posted: Mon Aug 4th, 2008 03:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
There's some beach access close to San Antonio point, water round there can drop off pretty quick and can produce fish.

Would look for Cabrilla, Pargo and Yellowtail are common there, but again, prefer the cooler waters of the Oct - May.

But certainly worth a try and who knows, you may get lucky.

Take a float, so you don't get run down and have fun.

The other beach access areas I'm aware of, I think are too shallow for this time of year.

You want to work the depths of your comfort zone on the outside edge of the reef, with hopes that something comes up from the cooler deeper waters, to check you out.

Posted: Mon Aug 4th, 2008 04:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
PS - You may want to rent a kayak, to give you better range from what beach you enter at and rest up on should you get tired.

If it's not too windy, you can attach your float line directly to it and use that as your marker.

If you're from Phoenix area, El Mar Diving center offer spearfishing courses. Their next free diving one is Sept 6 th.

Posted: Tue Aug 5th, 2008 12:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
ACWAMAN, thanks for the good info. I looked up the place you told me. Seems like its right by the "MIRADOR" San Carlos. I will definitely try it out.  You know its always something that most divers never see but its always in the back of my mind but I was just wondering what kind of sharks are most likely to show up if any?  Or what do most people see in San Carlos as far as Sharks? 

Posted: Tue Aug 5th, 2008 01:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
If I told you they didn't exist, I'd be lying.

That being said, the sharks in the Sea of Cortez, have almost been fished to the brink of extinction and I rarely see any.

It is a shame.

I've never seen anything around SC to be too concerned with, the occasional Dusky out in blue water or reef shark close in. Do hear of the odd Mako being caught by the fishing boats and the occasional White shark getting tangled up in the shrimp nets, usually further north in the Gulf.

Would suggest you follow basic safety protocol when sharks might be around and not keep dead fish attached to your waist.

Problem is then, the Sea Lions will take the fish and those guys, I see a lot of! Mainly at the Island.

When diving the Island, I always throw the fish in the boat or risk losing them to the dogs.

Along shore, I tow them behind or throw them in the kayak, assuming I have one.

Regards

Posted: Tue Aug 5th, 2008 02:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Hey Acwaman, you live in San Carlos?  I would love to hook up some time so you could show me the ropes.  What kind of guns do you have and use? Its a shame about the sharks. I love sharks. Especially GW's but I do NOT want to see one!!! HA HA.  I saw a pretty big lemon shark in Vallarta while scuba diving about 5 yrs ago. But thats it.  I have never seen one since. When are you going to be spearfishing again? Who in San Carlos spearfishes that I could go with? So far no one has emailed me back. The only one that has emailed me is Dakota Dave. He sounds good, but in order to go with him I need to get some more people, so it wont be so expensive. Sounds like a nice guy though.

Posted: Tue Aug 5th, 2008 02:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Forgot about Dekota Dave, he is a great guy and has a shark story of his own, but will let him tell that one!

Has a nice boat also, but tough to cover the cost if alone.

Afraid I do not line in SC and will not be down there until some time in September.

You are more than welcome to contact me directly at:

acwaman@aol.com

Save us boring the hell out of the people reading the threads, that are not into spearfishing.

Posted: Tue Aug 5th, 2008 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
barato

Mana: 
one hopes that anyone who opens a thread entitled "spearfishing" in the diving forum wouldn't find the subject of spearfishing boring :cool:

appreciate the info everyone has posted!

Posted: Tue Aug 5th, 2008 08:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Funbutton

Mana: 
Great reading everyone's comments! I'm considering a move to Mexico... or, long term visit. I spent 14 years on N. Shore of Oahu (now landlocked on the mainland) and am really missing the ocean. Would love to have input on freediving & spearo in Mexico... websites, great locations, stories, etc. Looking at San Carlos as one possibility. I've got three young kids and wife to "negotiate" with as far as location. Appreciate any and all thoughts! Mark

Ps. Have been spearfishing many years in Hawaii and some in New Zealand.

Last edited on Wed Aug 6th, 2008 12:41 am by Funbutton

Posted: Wed Aug 6th, 2008 05:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
If you're able, go down for a few weeks and experience it.

As with anywhere, has it's pros and cons, but feel the pros far out weigh the latter.

I'd live there an a heart beat, but couldn't afford the divorce.

I feel the proximity to the US has it's definate advantages, as in being able to get personal belonging down easily and driving back to the US for the various things that the US can offer that can be compromised in Mexico.

If you think about an extended visit or move, happy to answer any questions you have, to the best of my ability.

acwaman@aol.com

Regards

Seamus 

Posted: Tue May 5th, 2009 02:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Well I had lots of fun last year. I am planning to go this month again. I am very excited. Is there anyone that spearfishes there that I could go with?  Even if I have to pay, I wouldnt mind. I would just love to meet some of you who Freedive/spearfish and go out with you.  Its funner when you have buddies to do it with. Well if any of you know of anyone then PLEASE let me know. Thanks ya'll.

Posted: Tue May 5th, 2009 02:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Contact Vince Radice, Sonora Sports Center, you can find the contact info on the home page.

Good luck!

Acwaman

Posted: Tue May 5th, 2009 08:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Seamus I shot some big yellow tail at the north point of the island last weekend, they were pretty nice and for sure would have placed in the tournament!!!!

Polarosoman, just drop me a line when you guys are in town and If I can I will take you out. We are putting our documentary on mexican national t.v. around the end of the month so will be on a promotional tour to raise awareness of the problem but If I am around would love to go out.

We are gonna do quite of bit of blue water hunting this summer as well so Seamus when you come back let me know and we will go out to the blue water for some sperm whale footage and a dorado or two, or three!!

V

Posted: Tue May 5th, 2009 02:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Great to hear they're still running shallow enough to spear, what's the water temp at the Island?

Love to hook up for some BW action, shoot me an e-mail directly when it comes time.

PS - I dropped off a catalog at the store last week, trust you got it?

Regards

Seamus

Posted: Tue May 5th, 2009 10:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
It was still nippy, the first 10 feet was low viz and warm, after that clear & cold, but things should be warming up soon!!

got the catalog, drop me a line when your coming back down

V

Current time is 01:47 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > SpearFishing? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems