San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
SpearFishing?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu May 7th, 2009 03:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Vince. Thanks for the reply. As soon as I know when we are going I will let you know. At what depth did you get those Yellow tail at? Love to hear about it. I am not set up for blue watet but I would love to watch.  I got a really nice Cabrilla at about 50 ft at window rock. WOW it was good! Well thanks for the help guys. I would love to go out when I get there.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu May 7th, 2009 05:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
The yellow tail were shallow that day, around 25 feet, had the whole place to myself it was one of those sea of cortez moments!

Posted: Thu May 7th, 2009 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
I know the type of mements you're speaking of, the type that keep you coming back.

I went through and almost 18 month period, where it seemed like every trip I was blown out and you might recall, I even thought of getting back into sailing.

However, since last Nov, I've had 6 trips down, in a row, with almost perfact condition and lots of fish.

I'll stop there, so I don't jinx myself.

Seamus

Posted: Thu May 7th, 2009 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Six great trips in a row was the pay back for the crappy ones, the old yin & yang at work, if there were never any crappy days there would never be any memorable ones!!

Posted: Tue May 12th, 2009 06:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Vince, we will be there monday thru Friday of the last week of may. We would love to go out with you and enjoy some great spearfishing. Let me know how your schedule is. We don't have a schedule while were there so whatever works best for you. If you want to email me you can at polarosoman@yahoo.com
THANKS,
Jared

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
TACMED

Mana: 
Myself and son tried spearfishing while snorkeling last June for the first time at Honeymoon island.  We had fun scaring the trigger fish, but did not catch one, and would not know what to do with it, once we catch one.

We only did it because we found a pair of Hawaiian slings in my parent's house that I recently inherited.

We are coming down again this June for 2 weeks and would like to learn how to do it for "real" 

We have a 12' Zodiac w/motor.  Our house is on the beach, just across from Honeymoon Island.

any suggestions would be appriciated.

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
barato

Mana: 
one respectful suggestion:  probably a good idea to learn what to do with it before you succeed in spearing it....catch & release of speared fish has notoriously poor survival rates   ;)

FWIW, triggers are great eating.  you clean em sorta like opening a letter, slip knife point in bunghole and slit from the inside...otherwise, you'll never get through the skin.  we just toss em on hibachi skin and all, and skin then comes away intact, leaving nice white meat that tastes a little like lobster  

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Firstly, get a fishing license, although unlikely you'll ever get checked in SC, it is the law. Not sure if your son needs one, not sure of age limits and how old he is.

Where do you live, I may be able to refer you to somewhere that conducts spearfishing classes.

Otherwise, contact Vince Radice, Sonora Sports Center, have him take you out a few times, show you some spots, give you some pointers, then have at it with your kid, using your own boat.

Would be worth the investment.

Vince is also a dealer for a few different speargun companies and can outfit you, should you decide to step up from your HI slings.

I have a 10 year old, he loves it, think it's great you're getting your kid into it.

Young or old, nothing more satisfying than going out diving, shooting a fish, bringing it home, prepping and eating it.

Trigger fish are a popular fish for civeche.

Good luck!

Seamus

Posted: Fri May 15th, 2009 04:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
TACMED

Mana: 
10-4, thanks

I will make the contact Vince as advised prior to arriving in SC to insure that we can schedule a few sessions.

I am a firm believer in hiring a professional instructor for learning a new skill.

It will be a good investment, as I plan on retiring in SC in a few years and will need a hobby, as well as sport that I share my son.

john

Posted: Fri May 15th, 2009 04:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
polarosoman

Mana: 
Maybe I could head back to san carlos in June and join you guys. I would love to go out with you guys to spear some good dinner. YUM! My brother and I always go out to some spots on the Jets Ski, anchor it and have a great time. And very selective on fish, if no good ones then just enjoy the scenery. I got a cheap spear gun, its just a JBL Sawed Off Magnum. It does pretty good though. I just got some new RIFFE free diving fins, snorkel and mask. Maybe if I went more often I would love to upgrade on the spear gun. I always used to use a HI sling too. Still use them here in the lakes for trout in the mountains and bass in the reservoirs.

Posted: Fri Aug 7th, 2009 07:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Galen

Mana: 
Well, It´s August.  A little warm, I´ve heard, for the big game fish.  I´m hoping there will be plenty of good-eating fish though.  From what I´ve read, Triggers and Pargo are my best bet for now.  Does anyone have any good suggestions for renting a kayak?  I was planning on kayaking out to a few spots and trying to catch dinner.  I also need a new line for my speargun as it´s a little short for around here.  I can´t wait to get in the water.  The last few days have been spent in the dentists chair getting root canals, but the doctor gave me the go-ahead for bucear y pescar con arpon.  If anyone wants to show me around, would also be awesome.  I´ll be heading out early Saturday and Sunday.

Cheers,

Galen and Katie

650-575-1624 (USA)

Posted: Fri Aug 7th, 2009 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Damn I am going on vacation for a week starting Sunday, will be back next monday if you are still around stop by.

Posted: Fri Aug 7th, 2009 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
barato

Mana: 
Galen--

i was going to suggest Vince or Bryan Repogle (Repsilon on this board) but it sounds like Vince is out by default.  both are great guys, know the area well, and can give you input on where/how to fish as well as rent you a yak.

man, talk about doing your penance and now ready to enjoy some fishin......;)   good luck!

Posted: Sat Aug 8th, 2009 05:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Need a kayak?

scaaMexico.com

repsilon@aol.com

227 0219 house

0446228555926 MX cell

001 or 0115216228555926

(520)906 0480

thanks,  Bryan

Posted: Sat Aug 8th, 2009 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
As we have some of the Mexico contingent on this thread, that participate in the Annual Yellowtail Tourney, thought I'd share that the tentative sate for the 2010 meet, is Sat, March 13th.

I will post all the info, web site amendments, applications etc, once it is set for sure and we have made the flyers.

You can also monitor the web site, but is not current yet.

http://yellowtailopen.com

Regards

Seamus

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2009 11:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Galen

Mana: 
Thanks for all the good info guys.  I had fun, and even got in the water some.  I rented a kayak and dove from it for an hour and a half or so (40-50ft) around the island at Martini Cove.  No fish to pull a trigger at, and no time to go find other dive spots.  Wind kicked up pretty bad last weekend as well. 

For all others wishing to travel down and spearfish, I would suggest chartering a boat and guide for your first trip.  In retrospect, it would have been worth it, and it would have saved a lot of hassle.  Talk to Vince or (Repsilon) Bryan if you want a kayak, because the other kayak rentals do not want you diving from them.

And many thanks to Vince at Sonora Sports Center.  He was very helpful and very friendly.

Cheers all, until next time--

Galen

Current time is 10:47 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > SpearFishing? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems