San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tuna Boat Wreck  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Nov 26th, 2005 11:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
How deep is the tuna boat wreck that is north of SC?  Is this a nitrox dive?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Nov 28th, 2005 05:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Stuart

Mana: 
I wouldn't swear to it, but I studied some stuff about that wreck in the past because I wanted to try fishing it. Seems I remember it being about 20 meters, or 65 ft. deep? As I recall, it was fairly shallow wreck. Gary's Dive Shop lists the following about this and another larger wreck that was used to create an artificial reef:

"They are a fantastic, but challenging, dive requiring AOW or guide - perfect for Nitrox and wreck dive specialty classes."

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2005 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
I was trying to find the wreck just last week and had a hard time locating it since I have'nt dove on it in years now. The last time I dove it the depth was around 60 feet. There was a story years ago about some divers from one of the shops in Arizona, I beleive it was el mar. Two divers pennetrated the wreck and found an airspace in it. One diver took off his mask and a breath of air and passed out immediately. His buddy hauled him out and back up to the boat and apparently he was ok. I have no idea what shape the wreck is in now but since the boat was not properly cleaned before it was sunk as a wreck great care should be taken if you plan on penetrating it.  It was easy to find when it was first sunk, all you had to do was look for the oil slick coming from it. 

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2005 05:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Vince,

What is the approximate position? Is this near the mouth of a bay (San Pedro?)? My first trip in my boat was guided by Jesus Serrano and he told me of a sunken boat and the possibility of snagging trolling lures on the rigging. I can see the point in my mind, but he showed me so many hazards to watch for that I am not sure where it was.

Craig

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2005 06:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
GPS co-ordinates would be great!

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2005 08:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
It is on the north side of the point, or at least it was last time I dove it. There are no hazards around San Pedro Point as far as boating goes as long as you use good judgement and don't troll to close to the rocks,  the wreck might snag a line I guess if you were trolling with lines deeper than 40 feet I suppose. I don't have a gps cooridnate on the wreck and didn't find it last week when I was looking for it, then again I didn't look for it as hard as I could have. Next time I go out I will get in the water if I have to and find it, I am sure it will be a great spear fishing spot as the Diaz Ordaz has turned out to be!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2005 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Matt Blair

Mana: 
Hi Vince,

Is the Diaz Ordaz the ferry wreck? What sorts of fish are you seeing there?

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2005 06:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
I found this picture of the ferry while searching for coordinates to locate the two wrecks (never found anything).

Attachment: DiazOrdaz01.jpg (Downloaded 683 times)

Posted: Sat Dec 3rd, 2005 02:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Wow it is hard to believe that is our wreck since it looks nothing like that now. I have shot some nice Cabrilla and sierra on the wreck. I have seen some pretty good size cabrilla hanging out in the distance behind the propellors.  You can expect to find nice snappers as well along with tonnes of bait fish when the conditions are rightl I have also seen shcools of barracuda and skipjack. There was a spell last year when I shot a nice 15 pound cabrilla everytime I dove on it. I will try to remember the gps coordinates for you guys next time I go out to my boat. The biggest problem with the wreck is that the bone heads who were in charge of sinking it put it in about the worst place they could have. It is subjected to a strong current so you really have to live by the tide tables if you are going to have a good dive on it.

Thanks for the great picture!!!!!

Posted: Tue Dec 13th, 2005 12:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Vince,

Did you ever come up with coordinates for the Diaz or the Albatun?

Craig

Posted: Tue Dec 13th, 2005 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
I've been working on the little sail boat behind the shop and havent been out to the boat but I will post them the minute I get them off the gps.

V

Posted: Tue Dec 13th, 2005 04:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Thanks!

Craig

Posted: Mon Jan 2nd, 2006 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
I dove this wreck on Sunday morning. It is constructed of concrete and steel. The vessel was huge, but it is now broken in half with the pieces offset like a z.  The bow is pointing north and the stern remains south.  The screws are half sunk in the sand.

Most of the fish activity was off the bow. this wreck is crumbling fast.

Posted: Mon Jan 2nd, 2006 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Stuart

Mana: 
Can you provide any detail about the "fish activity"? Types, size, etc.? Like I've said, I thought it would be neat to fish these wrecks, but depends on what kind of fish are around. Thanks!

Posted: Sat Jan 7th, 2006 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
What was I talking about!  I did not dive the Tuna boat, but the Ferry.  I am going to dive the Tuna Boat on the last weekend in February.

Posted: Sun Feb 12th, 2006 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
The February Trip is on.  I will be in SC on the 25th-27th.  We have rented a boat and a house. 

Posted: Mon Mar 20th, 2006 12:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
I finally dove the Tuna Boat Wreck.  It was past of the point near the Ferry wreck.  The current ws somewhat strong and the water was cold.  My air did not last long, so this was a short dive.  The boat was bashed up pretty bad.  The sand looks like it gets moved around by the strong currents here, so who knows how stable the boat is sitting.  Lots of small fish here.  Not many large fish, but this could change when the waters warm.

Posted: Mon Mar 20th, 2006 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Did you happen to get coordinates for it?

Thanks!

Craig

Posted: Sat Apr 8th, 2006 11:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
merrilld

Mana: 
The wreck is located at approximately 28° 2.55' N, 111° 13.74' W.

There is also a Sea Mount at 27° 55.634' N, 111° 3.014' W, but I have never dived the Sea Mount.

Correction to the above:

The "Ferry Wreck" is located at approximately 28° 2.55' N  111° 13.74' W.  
In another post, Clay has a coordinate of  28° 2.546' N 111° 13.760' W (which I now use for the Ferry Wreck).

Last edited on Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 05:46 am by merrilld

Posted: Mon Apr 10th, 2006 04:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
COOL! Thanks so much!

Craig

Current time is 10:02 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > Tuna Boat Wreck Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems