San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Marina Seca boat storage and Mex. Import boat permit???

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Marina Seca boat storage and Mex. Import boat permit???  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 06:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
MOBILE MIKE

Mana: 
I just received a call from Marina Seca saying that I needed a Temporary boat Import permit (10 year or 20 year) or they would be fined and that they would confiscate my boat! I asked what it cost and they could not tell me. I asked when I had to have it by and they said they didnt really know and that I just needed it. I explained that I didnt know when the next time I would be able to get down there and that I thought you didnt need a permit any more and she sayed that I was wrong and that you do. I also asked what a permit cost and she could not tell me. I have no idea where to get this permit and am not real happy about having to get one! Its always more $ more $ more $. When does it end? She told me it wasn't Marina Seca but the goverment. Does anyone have any info. on this subject?? I know I've read about this subject before on this site and I could of sworen that it said I didnt need this permit. Im sure in the end Ill have to put out money in order for my boat not to be taken from me!    Ok I feel a little better now! It just pisses me off that I now have to pay out more money in order for someone not to take my boat and they cant even tell me when I have to have it by. :X  Mike

Last edited on Sat Feb 16th, 2008 06:38 pm by MOBILE MIKE

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 07:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
bombero

Mana: 
Mike

I did this some years back and as I recall the cost was $50.00 us, I am sure it is more now, but where I do not know.  I do know the girl that did this for me was Ed Grossmans daughter, I do not know if she still is at the marina seca, but there is a good chance she is.  I will be going down on the 25th of this month, if I can be of help to you, let me know on this site and I will get you my email, and/or phone#.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 08:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Inde

Mana: 
Yes you need a TIP. Contact Hiede Grossman at SC Marina. She will sort it out for you.

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
MOBILE MIKE

Mana: 
Thanks for the info. Does anyone have S.C. Marina phone #? I need to figure this thing out. Thanks Mike

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 12:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
http://www.marinasancarlos.com/

:cool:

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 12:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
fishinmagishin

Mana: 
I thought we had this conversation?? "No Sniveling' was disappointed he had just purchased one and now it is not needed??

I need to buy this permit because my boat is stored in Mexico??

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 12:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Al

Mana: 
Hey Mike, when you get the answer could you please post it on the board.   I also received a call from Melissa yesterday but was unable to connect with her.   Assume she wanted to tell me the same thing.

Thanks, Al

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 12:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JUBILATION JOHN

Mana: 
The permit that is no longer required is a fishing permit for the boat.  In the past your boat and even the dingy required fishing permits/licenses if you were going to fish from them.  The new rules are that only the people on the boat are required to have fishing licenses but not the vessels they are fishing from.

The TIP is a different issue.  A TIP is required for sure if you are going to be using marinas in Mexico.  The government requires that a copy of the TIP plus proof of insurance be filed with each marina you are using.  As we cruise in the Sea of Cortez we are always asked for copies of the Tip and proof of insurance before they will rent us a slip.  This is not just a San Carlos requirement.

If I am mistaken I am sure someone will let me know.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Al

Mana: 
But what if you are stored in dry dock at Marina Seca?   Does the same apply?

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 01:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
bombero

Mana: 
As stated earlier, I did this some years back in order to keep my boat at my house in SC.  I think at that time they called it "bonding in your boat"

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 03:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
JUBILATION JOHN

Mana: 
Al wrote: But what if you are stored in dry dock at Marina Seca?   Does the same apply?
I know it did at dry storage at Marina Real and I believe that is the case at San Carlos Maina Seca as well.

John

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2008 05:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Chinook

Mana: 
My understanding is similar to several comments above.  The boat importation permit is required, if the boat is to be in Mexico for more than 7 days.  I have also confirmed that the boat license for boats used in fishing is no longer required.  Fishing licenses are required, I'm told, for all persons on the boat.

Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2008 03:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
fishinmagishin

Mana: 
Where do we get the import permit?? Quantos dinero??

Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2008 03:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
MOBILE MIKE

Mana: 
I spoke with Melissa at Marina Seca dry boat storage in S.C. today regarding my concerns about aquiring a "Temporary Import boat permit" She did tell me that all boat owners from the states that have their boats in Mexico must have this permit in order for the Mexican Govnment to keep track of U.S. boats that were in Mexico. She informed me not to be to concerned as of yet about not having this permit and that there was plenty of time to get it.(2-3 months) She asked me for my passport number , expiration date of passport and my name and phone #. She told me that there were others in my situation and that they were trying to get these permits for others as well as  mine using their computer. She could not give a cost or a time when she would have it for me but said she was trying to work it out.(with whom I dont know) She said that she would contact me when she knows more. I told her that I was on this site and that I new others that  were concerned about there boats as well and asked if it would be ok to let you guys know about our convesation and to have anyone that had questions to contact her. She said that it would be ok to contact her at Marina Seca U.S. Toll free # is 1-877-402-4638. Talk to her and hopefully we can all get this figured out. She was very helpfull and assured me that everything would be ok and not to freak out.(Easier said than done:shock:) So thats what I know as of now. As I find out more I,ll let you guys know.   HOWS THE FISHING???????  Mike:cool:

Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2008 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
fishinmagishin wrote: I thought we had this conversation?? "No Sniveling' was disappointed he had just purchased one and now it is not needed??

I need to buy this permit because my boat is stored in Mexico??

Not quite true, if you look back at the string. I have a T.I.P. which I acquired 3 years ago when they were "no charge". Like so many things here, the cost fluctuates. Many of you confused the T.I.P. with the "boat permit", and some with the "fishing permit". When I brought my boat to store at Marina Seca, and when I first put it into a slip at Marina San Carlos, they asked for a copy of the T.I.P. along with registration and insurance documents. If you don't have one, I suggest you contact Marina Seca BY PHONE, or Marina San Carlos BY PHONE and speak to someone about getting the permit. If you just email them and wait, your bytes may byte the dust and be redirected to outer space.

Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2008 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Grant

Mana: 

TEMPORARY IMPORT PERMITS

February 18, 2008

Dear Client:

As of late we have had many inquiries regarding temporary import permits for boats. I prepared the following letter, to ensure our clients understanding of this document and its legal ramifications. 

The temporary import permit or TIP, was created by Aduana about 10 years ago, to allow foreign registered boats into Mexico on a temporary basis, without having to import it permanently and pay duty on the boat.  Originally theses TIP’s were issued for 20 years and later reduced to 10 years.

This permit is mandatory, even in “free zones” such as Baja California and Sonora.  It is required for all vessels over 14 feet entering Mexican territory, and are valid for 10 years multiple entry, which means that after you get this document, your boat can enter and exit Mexico, as many times as desired with the same document, until it expires.

Vessels less than 14 feet must be imported definitely unless they are part of the safety equipment of a larger temporarily imported vessel.

TIP’s are available at Banjercito offices at the border or your first port of arrival.  If you are bringing your boat to San Carlos by land, you must stop in Nogales at km 21.  After you get your visa, go to the Banjercito windows with a copy of your boats title or registration, your visa, passport and request your TIP.  By sea, we suggest you make a stop in Ensenada where there is a “ventanilla unica”.  At this office you can get your visa and present the same copies to get your TIP.  There is a charge of approximately $50.00 USD for this document.

Another way to get your TIP, is to do it online before you bring the boat into Mexico. The website is https://www.banjercito.com.mx/iitv/sitio/html/cte_hpr_iitvembarcacion_ing_2.php?pago=N

If you follow the instructions and fill out the requested information which includes passport, title information and a credit card number to pay for the document, the TIP will be mailed to your home address.

Some clients have made it as far as Marina San Carlos without their TIP.  In some cases, the border officials have told them they did not need a TIP, or they had to get it at the Marina.  This information is wrong.  However, if you already find yourself in this situation, we here at Marina San Carlos will do our best to help you get your TIP.

All Marina San Carlos or Marina Seca clients are required to leave a copy of their valid TIP for our records.  By Mexican Law, the Marina is required to ensure that all vessels in our establishments are in the country legally and can be penalized if Aduana were to make an inspection and find any that are not.

One of the conditions of the TIP is that you are not allowed to sell your boat while it is in Mexico.  When you sign the back of your TIP you are agreeing to this stipulation and it is illegal for you to do so.  The vessel must leave Mexican territory to be sold.  If you sell the boat in Mexico and are caught, you risk loosing your boat.

If you already have your TIP and are going to take your boat out of Mexico and have decided not to return, or not to return before the TIP expires, you should return the TIP at a Banjercito office to have it canceled.  They require the vessel to be present, to cancel the permit. 

Our staff at Marina San Carlos and Marina Seca has been going through all our client records looking for TIP’s about to expire.  These documents need to be renewed as soon as possible.  Please check your TIP and make sure it is valid.  If it is going to expire soon, please contact us, and we will help you with its renewal.

Please feel free to contact Marina San Carlos for any help regarding more specific problems, or any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Heidi Grossman

Last edited on Thu Apr 17th, 2008 03:13 pm by bartmanaz

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 03:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Chinook

Mana: 
Hi Heidi,

Great information.  We leave for San Carlos on March 7.  Do you have any idea what the turnaround time for obtaining the TIP via the Internet is?  I'm wondering if I would have enough time to apply and receive the TIP in the mail before we hit the road.  We live in Washington State.  Look forward to your thoughts.

Last edited on Tue Feb 19th, 2008 03:31 am by Chinook

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 03:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Aduana needs to see your boat in person.  So it can't really be done on the internet.

Fpr trailerable boats get it at a Banjercito office at any border crossing.  You must have an "original" of your state registration OR coast guard certificate of documentation.  The cost is $50 I believe (it was free up until a year or so ago).  You can get it right there on the spot.  This is the best option for small boats.  Your really only need it if you are leaving the boat in Mexico.  If you are bringing it in and are taking it back with you, you are ok.

If the boat is in SC already Marina San Carlos can get one for you for a little over $100 I believe.  You can get it yourself also in Guaymas for $50, but it is a bit of a pain.  You need to speak Spainish or have someone with you that does.  My experience is that you can sit in the Aduana office for over an hour while they do their thing.  It will take several days to a week to get it, depending on Aduana's schedule.  The long pole is waiting for them to come out to the marina or dry storage and look at the boat.  Then you'll need to go back to Aduana and pick it up.  So paying Marina SC $50-$75 or so to act as your agent is worth it to avoid the head-aches.

But again, for smaller boats it's best to just get it at the border.  You get it immediately on the spot and if the Banjercito office isn't busy it shouldn't take long at all.

Last edited on Tue Feb 19th, 2008 04:07 pm by JZ

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 05:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
fishinmagishin

Mana: 
My boat has been in SC for over a year.. Mooring at SC Marina many times and have yet to be ax'd for the TIP..

Liability always, but never the TIP..

Posted: Tue Feb 19th, 2008 06:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Chinook

Mana: 
JZ wrote: Your really only need it if you are leaving the boat in Mexico.  If you are bringing it in and are taking it back with you, you are ok.

Now I'm getting confused.  I'm planning on towing our 26 foot sailboat to San Carlos, launch there, spend 8 weeks on the water, sailing as far as La Paz, then returning to San Carlos, pulling the boat out and trailering home.  I have no intent of leaving the boat in Mexico at all.  We'll be either with it or on it the whole time.  Do I need a Boat Importation Permit or not?  Will marina operators at San Carlos and elsewhere require to see one, or just our boat liability insurance, registration and visas?  Hopefully, I can get the definitive word on this.

Thanks, Mike Cecka

Current time is 01:10 pm Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Marina Seca boat storage and Mex. Import boat permit??? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems