San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Anything in close enough for a kayak  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2018 06:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
fearnofish

Mana: 
Looking at possibly making a run down Sept 4 thru the 8th. I've never been down this time of year so really don't know what to expect. Is there anything in close enough to reach with a kayak? Dorado or Sails maybe? Anything else that pulls hard? Thanks for any info.

Andrew

Photo compliments of Fernando

Attachment: San Carlos Yellowtail hookup.jpg (Downloaded 348 times)

Last edited on Wed Aug 15th, 2018 06:12 am by fearnofish

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2018 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
The one area that I have fairly consistent action for smallish dorado, especially in the dead of summer, is the area between Haystack point (Google Earth calls this Roca Lobos) and half way to Islote Peruana, in around 75-130 feet of water. This area should be accessible for launching from areas south of the Pearl farm, as there are several roads going out that direction. But I have never launched along there.

That area is also somewhat protected against the brunt of the SE winds that seem to prevail in the summer.

One idea you might consider; scout around the harbor for a panga to tow you out there (you in the panga, of course), drop you off, and come back to get you in a couple hours. Pay half up front, the balance when he comes and gets you.

It's also possible to launch from the lagoon/estuary at Miramar, proceed out the jetty and access it from there.

I cant say if there are fish there this year, as I am not down there this summer.

Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2018 09:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
San Antonio Pt, accessed from the Marina Real ramp, LAlo"s Rock from its ajoining beach, El Tomate Rock from La Manga north, or right in front of Charly's rock resturaunt, is where I would try for inshore species.

Sails and dorados are farther out and out of a paddlers range imo.

Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2018 06:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
fearnofish

Mana: 
Bullshipper and Hook, thank you both. I know SA point well, the pick above is off the point. I don't mind paddling a mile or so off shore depending on currents and winds. I've seen marlin in very close in November off of the point, just have no idea what's up in the hotter part of the year. I'll just fish hard and see what happens. Should I leave the jigs home? Plan on bottom fishing with bait, free line a live bait (what live bait is available to catch), or troll rapallas or feathers. Sorry for all the questions but as I said this time of year down there will be completely new to me. I'm used to jigging for yellowtail and I know we are a couple months out yet for that. Any info is much appreciated!

Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2018 01:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
EZ MONY

Mana: 
Carry LOTS of water and be weary of the Chubasco's.

Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2018 05:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Cant hurt to carry a jig or two. But I wouldnt spend a lot of time trying them. Do you have a sounder? Without that, I dont think I would jig at all. It's not like San Anton in the winter where the fish are likely to be there, wherever you fish on that point.

If you are going for dorado, I think I would drag Rapalas and Krocs. I am not sure, but I would think that a kayak cant troll at a speed that is very enticing with a feather. At least Rapalas and Krocs have motion, even when going slow.

Maybe run one deep diver and one Kroc, as Krocs are usually near the surface even at 2-3 knots. Run the Kroc short and the plug farther back. Cover the water column.

EZ Mony makes a good point. Watch for thunderstorms on the water. They can be nasty. 

Last edited on Thu Aug 16th, 2018 05:39 pm by Hook

Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2018 08:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Bill fish and dorados do come in close, but unless you can cover a lot of water, your chances are limited. Social Security reef is probably the best sundown location as there is always lots of bait there.
They are still catching resident yellowtail on jigs real early before the heat sets in, and the are also some jacks around that pull hard using ice cream surface lures.

Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2018 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
fearnofish

Mana: 
Great info from all very much appreciated! Hook, I do have a sounder on the kayak and it is certainly key! Bullshipper thanks, I was wondering if any Jacks were around to be had, they certainly pull hard. EZ Mony, you are right on the Mony with both points!

Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2018 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bavardia

Mana: 
Let us know what happens when you get back.

Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 12:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I've seen some big Skipjack between Marina Real and the Point the last few days. Bays are pretty bare at the moment.

Posted: Tue Aug 28th, 2018 02:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
fearnofish

Mana: 
Thanks Repsilon. I'm going to go out with Fernando the first day so hopefully I'll get something figured out that I can put to use the other days when I'm paddling. Either way I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it! I've spent days getting gear and kayaks ready. That's all part of the fun!
Bavardia, I'll definitely post a report.

Posted: Sun Sep 9th, 2018 12:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
fearnofish

Mana: 
Well the wind blew enough that I was only able to give it a try on the Kayak One day (Monday) and even that day it was too windy for me to really fish effectively. I didn't bring my drift sock so couldn't stay in the zone for more than a few seconds. Paddling back into position was a chore to say the least! Fun trying though. Tuesday was a different story... Went out with Fernando and we killed it! Deep jigging for yellowtail. 9 for the day with plenty of bonita and a few other smaller species as well. 

A few pics from the trip below.

Attachment: Yellowtail.jpg (Downloaded 109 times)

Posted: Sun Sep 9th, 2018 12:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
fearnofish

Mana: 
Another

Attachment: One of many on the jig deep.jpg (Downloaded 110 times)

Posted: Sun Sep 9th, 2018 12:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
fearnofish

Mana: 
Last one

Attachment: FJ.jpg (Downloaded 111 times)

Posted: Sun Sep 9th, 2018 01:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Looks like it was worth the trip, kayak or not!

;)

Posted: Sun Sep 9th, 2018 01:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
fearnofish

Mana: 
It was absolutely Craig!!

Posted: Sun Sep 9th, 2018 07:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
PQ Almada

Mana: 
Awesome trip!!

Current time is 11:33 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Anything in close enough for a kayak Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems