San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Weekend Warriors  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jun 26th, 2018 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Martillito

Mana: 
Buenos Tardes Amigos!

So my family and I will be coming down there next week over the 4th of July and we are wanting to try out some fishing. We have a 25 ft boat that used to be a fishing boat but my father in law converted into a dive boat because that is all he has ever done. I have been fishing in San Carlos since I was just a kid on my grandpas boat but have never actually gone out myself and tried to catch some fish. I was hoping that I could just get a lot of good advice for some places to go try out that aren’t too far out. And What is running really good right now and what they’re biting on. It would be cool to catch a sailfish or marlin but honestly dorado is what we would be most interested in. Also any tips/tricks/ or pitfalls to avoid when first starting out. 

Cheers

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Jun 26th, 2018 09:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
sundevil

Mana: 
In all honesty, just hire a Mexican captain to go out with you on your boat. Money very well spent! It will greatly improve your odds of catching some fish unless you would be pleased with just going on a boat ride. With all the other money that you will be spending on this trip a little for a captain to get you on the fish is minimal.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 12:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
EZ MONY

Mana: 
Excellent advice!

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 02:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
You can find a Captain at the launch ramp at Marina San Carlos, just ask around. He will know where the fish are and the water Hazards too.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 04:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
How's your fishing gear?

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 05:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Sea Dancer

Mana: 

Ask around for a captain named Pu.  WE use him exclusively on our boat Sea Dancer.  Feel free to contact me, and I'll get you his number.

Terry

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 05:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Martillito

Mana: 
As far as rods and reels go pretty good stuff, not top of the line but we bought four new rods and reels about 2.5 years ago. We have some older stuff as well but just for back ups. I appreciate all the advice for captains, our boat was the Martillo and George is the captain so I could give him a call but we were hoping to start doing it ourselves. So we were just hoping for some advice. My father in law and his friends have gone out a few times and caught some dorado and a sailfish but they didn’t really know what or where to go it was just kinda luck so I was just hoping to,get some advice on like, what depths to fish, And certain places, like I know shelves are good places to go but I don’t know how to find those so like maybe some advice on some Sea maps perhaps so I could find those shelves and different make ups of the ocean floor

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 05:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
The term "Sea Maps" speaks volumes...a wise man once coined the phrase "you don't know what you don't know". You will be happier, safer, and catch fish if you ask George to recommend a captain for your maiden voyage.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
EZ MONY

Mana: 
Who is driving Martillo???

There is a chart plotter on board You'd be wise to learn how to use it.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
While I absolutely second the advice to hire a captain to go out with you a time or two, there are charts available in Phoenix at https://maps4u.com that will get you in the ball park on many of the underwater features in the area.  Sea of Cortez North is the chart you want from fish-n-map company at maps4u.

Since it sounds like you have not fished this boat before, a captain can help you with the setup on the pattern, lures to run, rigging bait if pulling ballyhoo and also by talking on the radio to other Mexican captains out fishing.  They can absolutely be the difference between a successful trip and the dreaded skunk.

AS far as depth is concerned, this time of year the dorado, tuna and billfish can be caught trolling on the surface.  Small to medium lures will work best for the dodos along with ballyhoo as dead bait if available.

As far as pitfalls see the thread in this forum called Boat on the Rocks at http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/forum2/2477.html  You will then know exactly what NOT to do.

Good luck

Bart

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Martillito

Mana: 
George is still driving the Martillo. We’re going to be on a diff boat. It is a lot smaller and it’ll just be my father in law and brothers in law

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 07:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Martillito

Mana: 
I really appreciate that advice. I understand everyone wanting us to get a captain but every captain had to start out somewhere, forgive my ignorance for not knowing how to properly ask about charts or maps or whatever it is you experts call them. We just like doing things on our own even if we get skunked, at the end of the day catching a fish on the boat you were driving and using skill (Mostly luck) to catch a fish is what its all about. If we get skunked we get skunked and we’ll learn from our mistakes. This is a dive trip with a fishing component so our trip wont be ruined if we don’t catch anything. 

But thank you for the advice on the maps, I really appreciate you giving your opinion but then answering my question. Some people are just hard headed enough to learn on their own. I have helped George and his guys set up our gear a time or two and knowing the patterns for trolling. I don’t believe we have any outriggers so we can figure something out I’m guessing YouTube will be my go to since not many people here want to help out. Just figured a community of fisherman would be more beneficial and fun than interacting with YouTube.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 07:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
EZ MONY

Mana: 
I assumed (bad idea) that you were on Martillo...my bad.

Get some lures...when your done diving head on down the reef and drag what looks good to you. When and if you catch fish put that info in memory and repeat. Most importantly be careful and have FUN!!!

Make sure you have a working radio.

Last edited on Wed Jun 27th, 2018 07:24 pm by EZ MONY

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 07:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Everybody here is trying to help you be successful and safe.  Without seeing the boat it is hard to advise on setups.  If you are going to dive and fish on the way in/out then here are a few tips.
1.  Make sure your safety gear is on board and accessible.
2.  Working VHF radio is a must have.  Other electronics help, like depthfinder.
3.  Watch weather and wind.  You are going out during the monsoon season and the SofC can be a millpond in the morning and 10-12 footers by early afternoon, which ain't no fun.

Which marina are you going to use?  Some spots can be pointed out for both fishing and diving based on that so the directions will make sense.

Good luck

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Martillito

Mana: 
I should have better explained myself I’m sorry guys. This isn’t our first time out on the water alone. My father in law has been going down and diving San Carlos for over 25 years now and they have always captained their own boat. 

My father in laws boat that we are going out on is about 25-27ft twin engine fishing boat. I dont know the brand off the top of my head but they have had it for about 8 years and just completely overhauled it last year so it has all new sonar/depth and such, safety gear, radio etc. They just usually use it for diving because that has always been there passion and my families passion has always been fishing so we were talking about doing some fishing this trip as well. They have gone out themselves before and caught fish, one of his partners last year went out and they caught a nice little Sail. But We never have really known a whole lot other than what I have seen on the boat while fishing so we were just wanting some extra luck for our trip.

We usually go out to tortuga and dive, I have been fishing on the west side of tortuga before on the Martillo over by the reef. We have the boat dry docked in Marian Real and we launch from there and we stay right there at the marina as well.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 08:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Thanx

Leaving MR if you head toward San Pedro Island, you are in an area known as sailfish alley.  Can be very good fishing for all pelagic species.  A friend of mine won a major SC tournament without ever going more than 5-6 miles offshore. South of the island is a reef that extends many miles underwater.  You can just about position yourself on the reef by looking at the island-if it looks skinny, you should be on the reef.  The water drops off on both sides-watch your depth finder to get a feel for the width of the reef-the further south you go the less pronounced it is.

Also since you don't have outriggers, go by Phoenix fishing supply and get some transom clips.  You can use those to pull lines from the rear rod holders in toward the prop wash and let the lines from the forward rod holders run from the rod tips.  Should give you enuff separation so you can maneuver without getting lines all tangled up-sort of a poor man's outrigger.  I've used them on my boat before installing out riggers and they work fine.

Thanx for the additional information and good luck.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 09:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Martillito

Mana: 
Bartman you are the bomb. Thank you for helping out. I’ll definitely grab those clips and I’m already in contact with maps-4-u. If we get lucky enough to catch some fish I’ll get back on and share some photos, if not I’ll just share some dive photos 😂

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 10:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Well, I had a very lengthy post about how to fish the area, including a description of the only really dangerous obstruction that is not on any map I have ever seen. But the dreaded "preview" function on this site trashed it. I'm not going to recreate it as it took a good 20 minutes to write.

Anyway, Bart's link above to the Boat on the Rock thread is a 404 Error for me. I remember that thread and that rock is very well marked now.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2018 11:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Martillito

Mana: 
Rats, well thanks anyways for trying to help me out on the post I appreciate it

Posted: Thu Jun 28th, 2018 01:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Not sure why the 404 error .I got one to on my cell phone but not my desktop. To see the thread click on the views column in the fishing forum. The thread will come to the top and then you can open it
Bart

Current time is 12:30 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Weekend Warriors Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems