San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Bottom fishing Questions  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 16th, 2018 06:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
chase

Mana: 
This coming up week I will be down in mexico first time winter fishing. I know the target species this time of year is Yellowtail but is there any other fishing I can do? Drop dropping, shore fishing for trigger fish? Snapper? What can I catch from shore? Or on the kayak? Is there any Spanish this time of year? Thanks!!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Jan 16th, 2018 02:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
repsilon

Mana: 
No Spanish. There are some triggerfish around. The shore fishing shouldn't be too great, besides what you make of it. The kayak could get you to a few more fish. The inshore snapper seem fished out these days and the deeper reds get to about 12" before they are caught. The calicos are mostly pitiful too, unless you find them spawning in the Spring. I've found a few big Baya grouper in close lately. There are a few medium sized cabrilla. If you are patient you can make a meal bottomfishing with bait. The guys are getting some small grouper on days with weather and current permitting (4-500'). Have Gerardo with Bottomfisher get you out (you might have to sign a non-disclosure agreement), or see if Fernando or I can get you on a shared yellowtail trip.

Posted: Tue Jan 16th, 2018 02:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
repsilon

Mana: 
The largemouth should be in full pre-spawn starting in a week. The road to Oviachic is greatly improved. Drop your kayak in the reservoir just below the dam on the SE aquaduct and have it all to yourself. You could check out the reservoir and backwaters on the river, turning before the hill before you see the other reservoir described. Should be good birding too. Bring bug spray in case. And bring some chicken livers! I haven't figured out the tilapia yet. Fish mostly plastics, but spinners and cranks work.

Last edited on Tue Jan 16th, 2018 02:19 pm by repsilon

Posted: Tue Jan 16th, 2018 04:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
chase

Mana: 
This past summer I fished from Charlie’s rock throwing a live sardine. Can I do that in the kayak for the cabrila?

Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2018 01:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Sure.

Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2018 01:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Lots of Snappers around, but they are in deeper waters, usually.

Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2018 02:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
chase

Mana: 
How far would I have to go?

Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2018 06:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
My spots are are the island or close to Panda.

Posted: Thu Jan 18th, 2018 02:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Right off your point there Chase.

Current time is 10:33 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Bottom fishing Questions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems