San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
fishing reports??  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 3rd, 2017 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
50 out

Mana: 
Great day to all my fishing Amigos in San Carlos. I am not sure if the fishing is really slow or fishermen are just not posting? I live in Oregon for now but I will be moving to Hermosillo in Noviembre when I retire from the USPS. Mi Novia retires one year from Deciembre and after that we may move further south... I have been a member of this forum for many years and try to keep up when possible. Here is a report from up north.. Oregon's Albacore season has been slow to say the least but there has been a late push of warm blue water and we are hoping to make one last run this week off of Tillamook. Fall Salmon season is underway and fish are being caught up and down the Oregon coast. It would be great to hear how fishing has been in the San Carlos area. I hope everyone has a great Octubre and hope to hear from or see you all soon.. Jamie 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Oct 3rd, 2017 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
I second that, about what's going on.

Are there really water temps below 80 in places?

Posted: Tue Oct 3rd, 2017 09:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Not yet. A few days of wind here will help, but it might take another blow after the full moon. There was one good report from the weekend. Babies in close. Heard of four out today in the 20-25mi. range just getting a few. I think you need to go 25+. More bait in close, but the fish aren't here yet. Some inshore action. No one has been fishing. Mostly just short trips in close. No debris out there. Not even dolphin. Haven't seen a whale in months.

Posted: Tue Oct 3rd, 2017 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
50 out

Mana: 
Thanks for the report Repsilon. I am not sure what fish are the babies but i'm thinking either Yellowtail or Yellowfin? Maybe Dorado.. Last January when I was in San Carlos I got to fish with "Catch a Lotta"(Mike West) and had a great time landing a couple of Yellowtail. He was back in Vancouver this summer and had a great 3rd place showing in one of the Albacore Tournaments here.  I will keep an eye on this forum and look forward to some fishing this winter out of San Carlos. Is there much fishing out of Kino Bay? My girlfriend says it is a beautiful beach and has a marina.. Just curious.. 

Posted: Tue Oct 3rd, 2017 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
50 Out

Kino does not "yet" have a traditional marina - i.e. not one with water and slips !!

There is boat storage and a launch / retrieval service to launch you into the sea ( tractor and trailer size boats )

Glad to hear Mike did well - great guy and sportsman.

Posted: Wed Oct 4th, 2017 12:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
nightwing28

Mana: 
50+, Kino indeed does not have a marina, I wish, but there are two good ramps at the north end of Kino Nuevo near the Finesterra boat storage and Pemex gas station. However, I am not sure about the condition of the main ramp. Both were damaged by Hurricane Odile but the northern most one was fixed by  donations by the local sport fishermen. Unfortunately, a government sponsored "re-fix" this summer left it unusable. Work is progressing to "fix" the last well intentioned attempt. The other ramp is usable but only at. highest tides, so care timing launches and re=trailering are absolutely necessary. There are also a couple of nasty rocks near the southerly ramp. Funds are still being raised to finish the right hand repair.When it is fixed, trailerable boats will be easily launched, depending upon the wind. October through November are good for yellowtail, late November through December for White Sea bass, if you know how to fish for them. The yellowtail hang around all year but you. have to adjust for the water temperatures. Other times the sardines (leopard grouper) and bottom fish are available, including some grouper species and sheephead. Bonita come late October some years.So,  it is a complicated answer. I won't know about the ramp until I get back in a little over a week.

Posted: Wed Oct 4th, 2017 12:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
nightwing28

Mana: 
oops, sorry, "50 OUT"

Posted: Wed Oct 4th, 2017 05:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Baby dorado. I would feel little guilt taking small yellowfin or yellowtail.

Posted: Thu Oct 5th, 2017 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
50 out

Mana: 
Thanks for all the help guys!! Hopefully Kino will be up and usable soon. Nightwing28, 50+ is also accurate, jaja, so no worries there. Ian948 Mike is a great fisherman and great guy also.. He is as friendly as they come and his wife Vi is a great gal too!! I think they are both lucky to have one another!!   I own a 20' Alumaweld Intruder and wasn't sure if it was a viable option for San Carlos fishing?? When I was in San Carlos I did not see many Aluminium boats so I wasn't sure where or not to bring it down or just sell it here and look for a more suitable boat option there?? I appreciate all the help guys and look forward to living in the area.. Tight lines everyone!! Jamie 

Posted: Thu Oct 5th, 2017 05:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
50 out wrote: Thanks for all the help guys!! Hopefully Kino will be up and usable soon. Nightwing28, 50+ is also accurate, jaja, so no worries there. Ian948 Mike is a great fisherman and great guy also.. He is as friendly as they come and his wife Vi is a great gal too!! I think they are both lucky to have one another!!   I own a 20' Alumaweld Intruder and wasn't sure if it was a viable option for San Carlos fishing?? When I was in San Carlos I did not see many Aluminium boats so I wasn't sure where or not to bring it down or just sell it here and look for a more suitable boat option there?? I appreciate all the help guys and look forward to living in the area.. Tight lines everyone!! Jamie 

The 20' is probably ok as most mornings are smooth and even if you go farther north and it gets windy, you can usually come home with a following sea.
The fishing in close was not very good last year, but that was an exception.

Posted: Fri Oct 6th, 2017 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
nightwing28

Mana: 
From what I have heard over the years, all the older guys used only small aluminum boats to go out 20-30 miles to the midriff islands, some as small as 12-14 feet. Of course, you had to be aware of the winds and very careful. Those were good because launch ramps were nearly nonexistent too and could be launched over the beac with this big wheels. I can't imagine a boat that small but still see them occasionally.

Posted: Fri Oct 6th, 2017 05:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
diver45

Mana: 
50 out, Question for you. I was thinking about going to Oregon next summer to go fishing. Where is the best place to charter a boat, was thinking about bottom fishing and salmon fishing. What do you recommend? Thanks

Posted: Sat Oct 7th, 2017 08:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
50 out

Mana: 
diver45, Late July or early August would be your best bet. Bottom fishing is all up and down the coast and limits are usually the norm of Oregon black bass, ling cod, and Cabazon. Halibut(my favorite eating) fishing has 2 seasons a spring fishery beginning in May on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays until a quota of lbs is met. It usually lasts thru June and can run into July. There is a summer season beginning early August on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. It can be as short as 1 weekend, but can last all of August. Newport, Depoe Bay, and Garibaldi are good ports for Halibut. Halibut trips are expensive($200) and you can only get 1 fish per day. Halibut can be from 20lbs to 100lbs, but 30-40lbs is average. Oregon has Albacore tuna available from mid July through September and can be excellent fishing from 30 to 60 miles offshore. The best opportunity is off the mouth of the Columbia river as there is live bait available at the port of Illwaco Wa. These trips are also expensive due to the long run offshore ($225-$450) but the limit in Oregon is 25 per day and there is no limit in Washington. The tuna run from 15-35lbs each and one trip can fill a freezer. I Can(1/2 pint jars and is excellent flavor) much of my tuna or smoker some also. The best Ocean Salmon fishing is at the mouth of the Columbia river. If you want to fish ocean Salmon in late July around a million silver salmon and some larger King Salmon are staging up off the mouth of the Columbia river preparing to start their migration run up at least 30 different tributary rivers which many of them have a good hatchery program. Middle of August and the Buoy 10 Salmon fishery is getting into full swing in what is known as the biggest Salmon fishing hole in the world..There is a 15 mile stretch at the mouth of the Columbia river and the fishing can be spotty to lights out depending on tides. If you need more info diver45 contact me closer to when you plan on going and I will get the reports from mi amigos for you.. I hope that helps..

Last edited on Sat Oct 7th, 2017 09:00 pm by 50 out

Posted: Sat Oct 7th, 2017 10:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
diver45

Mana: 
Thank you so much, very informative !

Posted: Mon Oct 9th, 2017 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
nightwing28 wrote: From what I have heard over the years, all the older guys used only small aluminum boats to go out 20-30 miles to the midriff islands, some as small as 12-14 feet. Of course, you had to be aware of the winds and very careful. Those were good because launch ramps were nearly nonexistent too and could be launched over the beac with this big wheels. I can't imagine a boat that small but still see them occasionally.
Small 12-14' were used to launch off the remote beaches to fish rock structures within 5 miles of their campsites, but still close to shore, mostly early in the morning in calm conditions, returning home when the wind starts. These are thin metal aluminum hulls that will not last long in ocean chop.So I would not recommend going to San Pedro that is 18 miles out from to SC or try to fish Tiburon in one of these as both are well offshore.

Posted: Tue Oct 10th, 2017 05:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
chase

Mana: 
From the report of the tournament and from talking to freinds of mine fishing sounds O-K.... if you land 9 billfish in one day with rough seas that doesn't sound bad at all. Keep in mind how many fish were lost. And also how many dorado were caught (small fish) I am not sure if there is any dorado still cruising the shore anymore like they were a few weeks ago.

Posted: Fri Oct 13th, 2017 03:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
SBT

Mana: 
Blue water at 32 miles out. Numerous scum lines loaded with small dorado. at 32 and 27 miles. We raised and released one marlin. Head of a double marlin hook up at 10 miles out.

Posted: Fri Oct 13th, 2017 10:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Dorado are scattered all around. There is a plague of small skipjack. Was hoping for a tuna 9mi. out, but brought a 250# Mako to 20' of the boat. It dove 8-900' down. Read 84.3 coming in. Still hoping for some billfish to show in close like last year, along with some bigger dorado. At least it's flat to make the 30mi. run at the moment.

Posted: Fri Oct 13th, 2017 10:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Heard that Grey Goose released one 300# marlin 10 out yesterday.

Posted: Sat Oct 14th, 2017 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
GOLDRING

Mana: 
Sounds like a fun mako, I will be down there on the 20th Fishing the 21st and 22nd 30 to 39 miles at the volcano and a little crater should be off the charts based on Terafin and temps

Current time is 07:35 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > fishing reports?? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems