San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Anybody been fishing the other side? Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto?

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Anybody been fishing the other side? Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 24th, 2017 10:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
MOBILE MIKE

Mana: 
Thinking of coming down and taking a couple friends fishing in next few weeks Wanted to go across or wherever fishing was good. Never been to Loreto, heard that might be fun. Really looking for good Dorodo and bill fish bite. Any thoughts? Would even consider going north a bit. Cant go any farther in distance then Loreto as its to damn far.  Thanks :cool:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jun 25th, 2017 10:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
tecate

Mana: 
Reel Mistress reported green water all the way to La Paz.  Tuna were caught off the East Cape.    

Posted: Wed Jun 28th, 2017 12:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
chase

Mana: 
Freinds have been down in Cabo last few days, also reported green cold water with little to no activity on the way down. Should know in a day or so how it is on there way up

Posted: Sun Jul 2nd, 2017 03:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
chase

Mana: 
After the Deal Maker 2 week fishing trip to Cabo, they caught 6 Dorado and 1 Marlin. 4 of the dorado were caught within 30 miles of San Carlos.

Posted: Sun Jul 2nd, 2017 05:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Milk Producer

Mana: 
Just got back from Loreto, fished 3 days. Seen quite a few marlin but only hooked 1. Fishing was a little slow but finally found dorado about 6-8 miles east of the north point of carmen, water was 82-83 degrees, we put six 15-18lbers on and called it good. The school was huge but not on any sargasso. Seems like the warmer water was all towards San Carlos headed there in 2 weeks so hope it turns on that way.

Posted: Sun Jul 2nd, 2017 05:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Milk Producer

Mana: 
The water right in Loreto Bay was only 78, I would advise staying closer to mainland side, buenos suertes!

Posted: Mon Jul 3rd, 2017 03:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
MOBILE MIKE

Mana: 
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll put my trip off a couple weeks and wait for things to pickup.

Posted: Mon Jul 3rd, 2017 04:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
They are in the swirl vortex on the other side. Check out that spiral coming off the coast to the west. Besides some crab or sardines out in the middle feeding the squid at times and keeping the big ones full until the full moon flurry this week, all the fish moved with that initial mass of sardines and crab to the far west. Just find the good breaks with seaweed.

Posted: Mon Jul 3rd, 2017 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
Ah the spiral vortices....you got to love it.

Throw in the full moon and you have a --------oh no ------black hole. Catchin sucks!

Posted: Mon Jul 3rd, 2017 06:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
If a flock of hot girls with umbrellas, tubs of beer, and ribs went by, I'd follow. Besides, it's cooler there too. Fish aren't that dumb.

Posted: Thu Jul 6th, 2017 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
MOBILE MIKE

Mana: 
Sounds like the fishing is Awesome! Think I'll plan a trip. Just need to put some garbage in my Flux Capacitor on board The Rodfather and I'm good to go. Do you have the numbers to the black hole by chance? Been awhile since I've been there. LOL

Posted: Thu Jul 6th, 2017 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Found a lot of dorado at 30 out. I'm not sure how big an area they were in.

Posted: Sun Jul 9th, 2017 11:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Hook

Mana: 
32 boats, fishing for two days in the Loreto Dorado tournament saw the winning fish top out at 15.2 lbs. According to Bill Erhardt, the average weighed fish was 10# with many in the 5-6 lb. size.

But, of course, it's only the effects of El Nino, er, lack of bait, er, lack of sargasso, er, La Nina, er, global warming and global cooling.............oh, dang it, we're running out of reasons except for the most obvious. Overfishing by commercials.

The dorado are bound to bust out any day, now, right?

Posted: Mon Jul 10th, 2017 05:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Just going to say, conditions don't seem to be right, just like they don't catch 200#+ bluefin, blue and black marlin, and wahoo off San Diego every year. But who am I to say anything being a charter owner on the water nearly every day, compared to a weather wonk in Oregon and a kid from Montana. That last dying winter seaweed stalk that just broke off the shore isn't going to harbor life, like watering some seedless dirt isn't going to grow a tree. Loreto has not had giant pelagic dorado laden sargasso patches dropped at it's doorstep this year, even if you're an old timer who remembers the few golden years they experienced 6-8 years ago ( which in their minds was every single year). I don't think that all Humboldt Squid are now small, though they say that is due to bait choice and overpopulation, the mature ones just aren't here. They follow the bait! No bait, no big fish. But the dozen sardine boats I saw today are on pleasure cruises, dorado don't hang around sardines because they go too deep, they choose to harvest the remaining minimal sargasso in the Pacific over the sargasso plagued Atlantic and Sargasso Sea, and mature dorado couples prefer to drop their children off in the open ocean over a proper sargasso nursery. Please reserve an inkling of hope.

Posted: Mon Jul 10th, 2017 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Oh, bound to bust out any day now? We hit them at 30mi. after a similar report the day before mid-week. Constant bite in a mile area, multiple schools of up to 50+. Absolutely no signs. They were in the deep blue water. Must have been squid coming up to sardines, and a few larger flyers in their stomachs. The more mature fish on small patches and rich currents from the previous month (that filled up on the massive bait balls during the Rescate , and were on the only real pelagic sargasso vein the following week to come through), that are now pushing 20-25# are probably far up the other side. If hurricane debris settles right we might see some nice 30#+ late season fish, or you'll just be complaining here on the Forum from afar. If more boats were out with us ... it would have been legendary. I found an exhaustingly decayed whale after the Dorado Derby that probably had a thousand fish on it the week before. There was a huge hatch of small dorado last September that didn't just sink with the debris. Maybe we all missed that concentration where they found the bait as the season ended . Dorado go deep when there isn't food on the surface. Did you always wonder why the longlines were loaded up? Secondly, you need to run bait guys. Hypoxic zones? Varying currents? Oh no, we always caught big dorado every day. Or can you only remember the days with those Kodak worthy photos?

Last edited on Mon Jul 10th, 2017 05:26 am by repsilon

Posted: Mon Jul 10th, 2017 05:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Like the tens of thousands of unidentifiable millimeter sized larvae I see in slicks, where are they going to go, where are they going to go? Especially when they can one day travel 100 miles a day. Well, I'd be off Pt. San Francisquito by morning. Same direction the sardine boats are going.

Posted: Thu Jul 13th, 2017 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Fishtales

Mana: 
BRIAN -- THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO POST YOUR REPORTS AND INFORMATION! I ALWAYS ENJOY READING THEM.

Posted: Thu Jul 13th, 2017 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Thanks! Glad to know that I'm entertaining someone!!! It is a tough storm to weather here, like a second term president. I see guys and their fish tales grow in just years, yet alone decades - and these are not even seat warming old timers. Things will improve.

Posted: Thu Jul 13th, 2017 03:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I remember all the big ones. I just don't recall all of those 9+ out of ten days over the last few decades. I remember when we started swimming with large schools of them in October a few years ago after we got tired of catching them ( after a documentary in which everyone was in agreement that the dorado were all gone). You always seemed to catch fish with me. The conditions looked the same last year, and no one fished that area. If guys were fishing the area 30 out right now we might have something different to write about. Those big ones loved the free meals from the Santa Rosalia squid boats. We've known for years that you need to go long mid-summer. The sardines showed up after years this year, be patient and hope to see dorado improvements. Or go put on your pink hat and protest.

Posted: Thu Jul 13th, 2017 03:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Remember that dorado can grow to 30# in a year. The big ones are also found routinely diving to 400'. These are efficient hunters that get the job done. They aren't going to stick around in bait less areas. They also seem to be smart, and getting smarter. Maybe it's time to try the kite and Yummy Flyer.

Current time is 09:41 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Anybody been fishing the other side? Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems