San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
6-17-17 Fishing Report  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 01:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
SBT

Mana: 
Oh where, oh where, have the billfish gone?  Oh where, oh where can they be?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 02:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
chase

Mana: 
There out there. Back side of the island. Hope fully they will turn around, isn't looking good

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 02:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Nothing out there today. Maybe try the Horseshoe now. Saw an old dead whale on the backside and nada. There wasn't much left. Would have liked to have found the thousand dorado on it last week!

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 04:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
zancudo

Mana: 
Last day here. Ran 40 miles toward Tortuga and started fishing. Saw lots of jumpers early, got 2 sails and missed a few more. Most activity we saw was this side of tortuga 6-12 miles from the island.  Lots of seaweed from 22-15 miles on the way back but didn't see any dorado on it.

Last edited on Mon Jun 19th, 2017 04:35 am by zancudo

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 05:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
chase

Mana: 
Yea we saw TONS of it and in big patches. No bait what so ever on it. Noteven a minnow. But the other day I was kayaking and found a dead seal, 10-18in dorado on it. Didn't catch any although it would have been fun. Saw the seal  floating in the baja today.

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Winter seaweed breaking off from the rocks, even if from any shoreline with remote dorado populations, is not going to attract fish or baitfish just for shade, as living pelagic patches from distant tropical gyres where all pelagic life, less billfish, spawns life on floating objects near productive upwelling near these mothers hip gyres of life, where if the currents are right, we may be lucky enough to see thrown into our area. In Hawaii we were rarely fortunate enough to ever see the currents push debris, filled with mature spawning dorado, to within 10 miles of the outer islands. All my experiences overy three decades with good dorado catches have been remotely linked to strong productive baitfish filled and sargasso filled current breaks. Commercial fishing, whether industrial commercial fleets with helicopters and FADS with tranceivers, or small pangueros along either coast with small fixed FADs designed to attract inshore juvenile dorado - spawned from coastal debris, only leads to further depletion and concentrations of remaining populations. So ponder that Chase before we get out for round two in a couple days. The dorado have probably already moved off again, less a few larger models. The billfish will regroup around the bait. Hopefully we'll see small tuna again soon like last year- but I'd prefer to see some cows.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 04:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
chase

Mana: 
I was talking to a "old timer" that started fishing here in the mid 70s told me from duble point, to honey moon you could catch all of the dorado you wanted. Same goes for billfish, sure there might be a few here and there but not in the number they used to be, not in the numbers we want them to be, I think we are getting a serious wake up call here. Supply and Demand is the real problem here. Fishing will never be like it used to be unless we stop all fishing for years and years. I don't think it is a cycle.when was he last time you or anyone caught a 30lb bull right out of the harbor?? Exactly. If it was a cycle when was the last time we got it? 6 years ago? Kinda small peanuts everywhere, but not the ones that are "prized For" sure maybe a few here and there but not like he described it. We screwed our selfs over, big time. Something needs to happen

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 05:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
#1 kid: Don't believe too much of anything from Old Timers. They have been drinking and warping their memories for years, as well as stretching and perfecting their storytelling. Maybe the 70's were more golden than the 80's, and I don't contest how good the fishing was before then...
There have been lean years! There are cycles. Just look at the statistics and catches off San Diego of this last El Nino. I found one article about 40 year cycles of the sargasso off the East Coast, and about how the Gulf Stream changes speed. Do you want to deny the existence of Ice Ages? Do you think all the turtles ate the pelagic sargasso? We've seen more billfish, and other fish, at times than the wildest stories of some old timer before it was stretched over decades. Relax, stop perplexing yourself if you're going to do nothing about it, be positive and patient, and most importantly go fish. I know that we've experienced some better things and concentrations of fish that the area has had since the 80's. If I had experienced some of the crazy fishing events of lately as a kid here in the 80's, I wouldn't have forgot. My eyes were good, they weren't shut, and I never forget a fish. It's been 7 years since we caught 30#ers off Doble, but they will be there with the right conditions. I never caught 15#ers in so close as with last Fall. Enjoy the stories, but brush off the negativity. It's not over by a long shot.

Last edited on Tue Jun 20th, 2017 05:32 am by repsilon

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 06:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Patience. I think we'll start to see some life get pulled in from the other side below Conception shortly. The currents may have slowed a touch with the unexciting tides.  The gyre is still building into it's summer pattern and then we'll see upwellings and colliding currents again.
I challenge any old timer to say they've ever seen more Threshers (and the numbers of their jumps) than what were jumping in the Rescate, sailfish concentrations such as a few days before last year's Rescate, marlin like the previous winter, yellowtail on squid at the Island like a couple years ago, ... and I'd challenge many more recent events. It's far from over.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 04:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Ok I guess I am an old timer. 1st sail in 1958 out of Guaymas, then lived year round from 72-2000, then 6 months a year from 2013-2017.

My experience is that there are still migrations of fish that produce bonanzas. But now fish move through our area going north, and after a short burst that lasts a week there is nothing for days.

Before we always caught fish on every trip, and at times hit bonanzas during concentrated migrations. The summer and bottom fish were at least 2x the size of what are being reported now as legitimate fish. I have never seen so many juvinile billfish, and the bait is now larger than some of the dorado.

The other differences are the longer distances we have to go now, and the tackle and techniques we now use. In the old days we trolled or bottom fished with dead bait, old crummy feathers, and when I started bringing rapalas and rebels down everyone including the fish when wow. You could catch sierra and bass types trolling along the shore, and yellowtail and bonita off of most of the points. The bottom fishing was good with nice pargos right off deer island, and Ensenada Grande was at the outer limits of where you had to go to limit out.

Now, ensenada chica, pando, white rock and the island are usually included in a daytrip where before if I left out of Miramar or Guaymas and got as far a Haystack you had at least 4-8 80-100 lb sails using old wooden cruiser, not twin engine cats. We didn't use teasers, ballyhoo, jigs, or live bait, we just trolled split tailed mullet, feathers and rapalas.

I still have my hull in the water today, but haven't fished much as you now really need a tower to find something, even going long distances. So my hat goes off to guys like Fernando that consistently get fish in these lean times, as I left SC for Tiburon out of El Desemboque or Tortuga/San Marcos from here from 1998-2000, as I considered SC fished out, and today its a lot worse than than what I considered fished out after 1995.

So while everything is relative, there is no way the fishing in the last 4 seasons compares in any way what was consistent before, no matter how you try to spin it.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 04:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
REPSILON; Get off the Pipe, or the Presidente, Or the Bucanero or what ever you are on because it is fogging your mental abilities.

I am Seriously worried about your state of awareness. You have been fishing here for what? 10 or 12 years. No wonder you can't compare fishing now with 20 to 30 years ago.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 05:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Snuffy

Mana: 
I can remember fishing out at the island (San Pedro) in the mid and late 70's with my grandpa. He would say then "that the fishing was nothing like it used to be." lol I went out a month or so ago with Fernando's crew and hauled in several nice YT's.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 05:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Snuffy, sorry that you hit a slow day. Jimmy, we've always been concerned for you. We started fishing here in the 80's. Yes, the bottomfishing is completely devestated. Smaller billfish I can see with the numbers present. The larger ones will show shortly. Sure, techniques and technology are greatly improved. I've released more billfish in a day than we did our first two decades fishing over a handful of trips each summer. I just never remember seeing many yellowtail boils or multiple billfish in a day. A good morning were one or two 8-12# yellowtail around the Seamounts for the tin can fleet in the 80's. Our best day ever at the Island was probably three fish. I didn't hear of other boats killing it. A few tales went around, maybe all our techniques and info. was poor. I'm sure the 70's were epic and the 60's legendary. I would just like these doomsday prophesies to be dropped. I guess I'll drop it. Go take your bags of seaweed from the beach and dump them in the ocean and scratch your head as to why there are no dorado under them. Go watch Vince's dorado documentary, but then look at the Forum reports from a few days later where thousands of dorado were in schools of 20-100 over miles to 20+# in late Fall.It's a big ocean with varying currents. We're just a little bay. Unless you think all those darn turtles ate all the sargasso. They were all over last week, so where did they go? Why aren't the sailfish jumping all over like last week? Give it a week. Give the dorado and sargasso a couple years to regroup a bit from the El Nino. I'll listen to stories from old timers over desk jockeys anytime though.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 06:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
chase

Mana: 
You keep saying there's no sargasso "it's dead winter sea weed". Mabey I'm  hallucinating but we couldn't get out of it the other day. Same goes with kryptonite. I told myself I need to take a picture of that because Bryan is going to deny any sargasso out there. And also we fished a totally diffrent sea, pretty weird that with miles of it even if it was "dead winter sea weed" there wasn't 1 fish on it. Pretty weird

Last edited on Tue Jun 20th, 2017 06:33 pm by chase

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 07:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
There are dozens of species of seaweed. Those lines just recently drifted off the coast. Just look at the amount of bait under different patches. They may start to attract fish for shade, but they aren't going to spawn life for long like live pelagic sargasso where pelagic species lay their eggs and/or their larvae are protected.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 10:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Our captain tried the same lines. Maybe if they were floating outside the Reef for a day. Sure, I saw a few babies on them in closer the day before. In the Rescate you saw the tiniest piece with dozens of tiny baits. The inshore seaweed breakout was a menace months ago. We'll still get those pathches breaking off from the other side. You'll see the differences in color and life, and the species were even mixed at times a month ago. It's a matter of a living ecosystem that has drifted for a long time from a tropical environment vs. A dying plant product that might even be toxic. I don't know, but I know which ones hold substantially more life. I can't find research on the matter for the Pacific. There are 40 year cycles in the Sargasso Sea, they could be a hundred year cycles here. I have to believe that is why there are so few flying fish around. If I was a big bad bull, I'd find myself a dorado orgy patch where my kids were safe, I ate well, and I could get some. It would beat roaming around an empty aimless ocean. They say tuna will leave a FAD for the day, cruise off 16 miles, and come back to the same floater. I just wonder why the predators seem to be sticking more together, such as the bait. It's just like an elk herd. Don't entirely underestimate their intelligence and survival skills.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
You don't think they'd like to see the return of albacore of San Diego? the return of Humboldt Squid off Santa Rosalia? Mostly just cycles. Unless you are going to go blow up sardine boats, cut off small commercial FADS up and down the coast, enforce the Lacey Act, or solve world overpopulation... I would just pray and be patient.

Posted: Wed Jun 21st, 2017 04:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
chase

Mana: 
I think "old timers" understand and know this sea more than anybody. Now yes they may have been pulling my leg, but I do think that there were mor fish than.

Last edited on Wed Jun 21st, 2017 08:57 pm by chase

Posted: Wed Jun 21st, 2017 05:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
chase

Mana: 
Now back to billfish, a freind of mine went out Sunday saw a few sails jumping 1 mile out. Hooked into a "HUGE" blue but was than broke off because of a miss connection 

Posted: Wed Jun 21st, 2017 05:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
You're the expert Chase. Go fish your Rattle traps with those old timers. I know I haven't had a good fishing report in 10-15 years. Start working on your time machine, or sit at the bar talking about the good old days with the old timers. I'll be out fishing, still making history.

Current time is 09:42 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > 6-17-17 Fishing Report Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems