San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
L.I.F.T.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue May 30th, 2017 09:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Reading reports from the south, there were a few of good numbers of marlin rounding the Cape. Lots of tuna to 30#. Good wahoo. One 35# dorado. Good numbers to 20-25#. I think the sailfish come up the center. It's a late start. Be patient.
I'm no biologist, but I'm going with a crowd theory. Just like bait fish stick together, I think the predators are doing the same for various reasons. Feast or famine.
We are still lacking the prime catalyst for pelagic life to be harbored - pelagic sargasso. Not many big flyers. Was it warm El Nino or have temperatures also current speeds. Maybe the fish are having to focus on pelagic crabs, sardines, and small squid which travel in compacted groups.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue May 30th, 2017 09:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
DiveUrge

Mana: 
chase wrote: Overfishing. Not to many understand what catch and release is. Pretty said to be honest, there is going to be some more south wind this week and hopefully it will blow more fish in. We can't do much to change it. Fishing is going to be what it is going to be. And they could have caught nothing this week!
You really think sport fishing has decimated the dorado population and dropped the fish caught to zero ?
Sport fishing couldn't put a tiny dent in the dorado population.  Commercial, maybe, then the systematic destruction of baitfish populations less to eat and the young dorado are food for hungry big fish that would otherwise be eating sardines, smelt...
Maybe pollution plays a roll as the open oceans have a lot of trash and other pollutants.
All I can say id the sport fishermen are irrelevant, other than they help offset the reliance of the local population on subsistence fishing, bringing other sources of income.

Posted: Wed May 31st, 2017 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
chase

Mana: 
Never said sport fishing. Overfishing. Who knows, I'm not pointing fingers or anything like that just simply saying fishing for dorado has gone down in numbers. We're not getting as many as we used to but over in California they are. Might be a cycle might not be. We shall see. And I hope Bryan.

Posted: Wed May 31st, 2017 05:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Catch-22 wrote: La Nina - The Water is still to Cold

Hope this Helps

I am reading 77.5 degrees along the coast, so its probably a little warmer offshore.
I have been seeing mullet, hatch after hatch of pelio and also some ballyhoo in the marina, flyers offshore and there are still a few mackerel around to spice up the Crab diet, but the sardine flete is complaining that sardines and anchovies are a hard find, even up north.
I saw one 12 breezing squid all year and that was a month ago, and have yet to see a popper bite after we had a short one around last Thanksgiving.
Cold water produces more bait, so I think the fish will migrate slower than usual towards us. They also had a longer trip to make from California after el Nino.

Posted: Thu Jun 1st, 2017 04:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
Hook

Mana: 
chase wrote: Never said sport fishing. Overfishing. Who knows, I'm not pointing fingers or anything like that just simply saying fishing for dorado has gone down in numbers. We're not getting as many as we used to but over in California they are. Might be a cycle might not be. We shall see. And I hope Bryan.
No, you didn't. But you talked about catch and release, as being a contributing factor.
Do you really thing commercials engage in C and R?

Posted: Thu Jun 1st, 2017 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
chase

Mana: 
No I do not. But it's the little things.

Posted: Thu Jun 1st, 2017 05:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Little things didn't get us to this point. It takes big things, like commercial overfishing. 

El Ninos and La Ninas are big things. But good dorado fishing has marched along through warm/cold water events in the past, without skipping a beat. Not this time.

There really is no other explanation, at this point; contrary to what persons associated with the charter industry, and their friends, say. There was tons of sargasso last year. There was tons of bait this year.

It's like people denying global warming (for whatever cause). They generally represent interests that restrictions on global warming industries would hurt, financially.

A TV reality show host and failed businessman recently got elected president, by appealing to this desire for "the old ways". It's a strong allure, no doubt.

But I expect it will be ill-founded, in the end. Reality bites.

Just beware of reported catches of "lots of dorado to 20-30 lbs.", as an indication that the fishery has recovered. Or, "we caught a 30 lb. dorado!" "Lucky" catches; being in the right place at the right time, are going to happen, when a schooling fish like dorado are found around a floating FAD (fish attracting device; man-made or natural). As a person who has been fishing dorado in the Sea since the mid 70s, a healthy fishery is exemplified by REGULAR catches outside of FADs. Lots of blind strikes and strikes along scum lines and current breaks. The fish are, or were, nearly everywhere.

And dorado aren't nearly as picky as billfish. You will catch more with ballyhoo, but not that many more. Dorado take lures readily. They arent very smart fish.

As early as the early 2000s, we would catch several dorado in the 30-50 lbs range each season. No ballyhoo back then, of course. Do you realize how rare even a 30 lb dorado is these days, if fishing within 20 miles of San Carlos?   Really rare. I bet it takes thousands of man hours from the fleet, FISHING LOCALLY, to catch one. It didnt used to be like that only 5-10 years ago. Now, sporties are so thankful they catch even 1-5 dorado a season that they willingly take ones that are under 10 lbs. I admit to having succumbed to this mentality, too, at times. Am I wrong? Surely. But I see fillets in restaurants that are from dorado the same size. That's REALLY wrong, on a scale like that.

I doubt it will change. There is too much money in paying off Mexican Fish and Game and too much money selling fish to restaurants, illegally. That's the Mexican way.

Posted: Thu Jun 1st, 2017 07:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
There was nearly no sargasso last year! Sure, dead and dying winter seaweed. Get it straight!!!! Are you going to leave your children with zombies in the desert, or good caretakers with everything they need? Pelagic life thrives off sargasso. I remember some good fishing like 6 six ago when we had sargasso on the backside of the Reef into the first weeks of July. I remember a Zaragosa in late July when we had sargasso everywhere to 40 miles out and you couldn't keep the dorado from biting.Some sargasso did slip up the other side last year and was loaded with dorado. It was a major El Nino cycle. Sure, we're not going to see a smaller drop like a cycle in the 60's. Sure, lots of overfishing in every way. Inshore FADs to rape the babies. Go find me the report that says global warming has permanently slowed certain Pacific currents causing an irreversible decline in pelagic sargasso. So they caught all the flying fish out there too? No. They lay there eggs on sargasso. Once again, not the stuff rotting on our shorelines right now, but the holy grail out there that harbors pelagic life in every single patch. Small flying fish and small dorado get by in ways with some inshore reproduction. These are fast moving fish, and I think they could easily just go on the move and travel hundreds to a thousand miles looking for the right place and age group of fish to get it on and leave their offspring protected. (Sure, until the sargasso rebounds the core population is under the assault of international fleets and not it the liferich protected nursery of the Sea of Cortez - ha!). We're still in Zombieland, but be patient. We're going to see a rebound over the next few years to a decade, unless the 'volcanic' El Nino caused by thousands of vents off Peru goes into effect. Fukishima. The Blob. Relax. Chase- worry about girls. Hook- go quantify accurate global warming statistics. I'm going out 40 miles tomorrow to catch the footballs, a 70# doradito munching wahoo, and hopefully find a pelagic sargasso weed patch bigger than a dinner plate.

Posted: Thu Jun 1st, 2017 03:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I respectfully disagree, Bryan.

I saw lots of sargasso, early in the season, last year. The most I have ever seen. When I moved here in 2008 with my flybridge boat, I thought it would be a real advantage for spotting kelps. Turns out sargasso is rather rare over here. Due to currents and winds, most of our sargasso paddys come from BAJA. That's a long trek and lots of it gets broken up. I find lots more on the other side. But the last few years, it still holds NADA. That which forms along the mainland is carried to shore and doesn't make it offshore, where the dorado come in. Anyway, all of it was mostly empty, until the time when the water gets too warm and the larger dorado go elsewhere.

Then, this winter was the return of so much bait, it was astounding. Is it still out there? I have left early this year. But if it is still here, it is the best hope for a return of a decent dorado season.

The water is NOT too cold, if Bullshipper's numbers are accurate (and why wouldnt they be). It is NOT too early. On both sides of the sea, I have caught many large dorado in May, at this latitude. I have caught them in dirty, green 71 degree water all around San Marcos.

Something else is happening. Look at the tournament results up and down the Sea for the last three years. Pathetic dorado numbers.

Last edited on Thu Jun 1st, 2017 03:27 pm by Hook

Posted: Thu Jun 1st, 2017 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
50th Post
chase

Mana: 
Sargasso is rare, however if there is any floating object it WILL attract fish. You must have seen dead Sargasso or winter sea weed. It is not to uncommon to find that. I remember last year i saw a tiny peace of Sargasso and there were minnows on it. Also at this time last year there were dorato and in good numbers. But there was also Sargasso. However when it was blown out the fish left also. So brian does have a point. But i also see where you are coming from. I read a report from 14 years ago and there were many many fish. I think it is a cycle but who knows.

Posted: Thu Jun 1st, 2017 05:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
51st Post
chase

Mana: 
But also this isn't 15 years ago fishing is going to be what it is going to be. We wish we could see dorado ever where. But we just do not know there could be a ton of Sargasso but know fish. It is just the luck of the draw.

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2017 03:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
52nd Post
Juan2Yak

Mana: 
This is Juan2Yak, been here now going on 3 years and I must say the fishing has a lot to be desired if you fish inshore. I caught Dodo's last year at the Seamounts and Doble, yt at Lalo's and Sa Point and this year I have been given access to a small boat so I have retired the kayak for now and enjoying the freedom of a boat. We fished the south end of the reef at 7miles in blue water Monday. We trolled 2 teased up Ballyhoo on the short lines and 2 Dorado Zuker blue/white, and green/yellow jigs out passed the second wake. Saw a Sail and worked around him for 15 minutes with no love, then our jigs went off and it was game on. Hit upon a school of Dodo's. Brought in the lines, left one fish in the water, chunked up some ballyhoo to keep them close, then grabbed our small spinning outfits with krocks and kastmasters and had a ball for a half hour of non stop fun. We caught a couple of 5 pounders and a bunch of 2,3 pounders. Then a seal showed up and spoiled the fun. We kept 8 of the bigger ones and released the rest. Made for a fun ride to the docks. My 2 cents or 55 years of fishing is that the sophistication of the commercial fleets with their spotter planes and electronics and no enforcement on counts spells doom for any body of water. Us rec guys, global warming alarmists, la Nina/el Nino effects, Saragossa depletion all have it's impact. But it is a cyclical thing and fish stocks will rebound, but only if the commercial boys are reigned in. But the world demands seafood and there lies the problem, supply and demand, with a little greed mixed in...Tight Lines

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 05:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
53rd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Dorado are essentially gone from the Sea of Cortes. The commerical fisherman in Guaymas have not gone looking for dorado anymore because they simply don't show up in sufficient numbers to be fished commercially anymore.

Sailfish and Marlin will be next on the list.

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 05:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
54th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
This year I will be traveling to Pescadero on the Pacific side of the Baja to film a documentary about the illegal Harpoon fishery for Marlin that exists there.

Yes you heard that right. Fisherman from Pescadero use Harpoons that they throw from the front of their boat to catch Marlin. From what I understand hundreds if not thousands of Marlin are being killed in this fishery.

Here is a reminder or if you have not seen this as to why there are no more dorado in the Sea of Cortes

http://worldsaquarium.com/documentary-on-illega-dorado-fising-in-sea-of-cortes-el-oro-de-cortes/

This is the year we start working hard for a marine park here in the bay free from commercial fishing.

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 01:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
55th Post
DiveUrge

Mana: 
"Fisherman from Pescadero use Harpoons that they throw from the front of their boat to catch Marlin"

So catch and release.  Nice. Beyond sad.

Last edited on Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 01:50 pm by DiveUrge

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 02:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
56th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Soon the drones will do it. 

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 02:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
57th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Juan2Yak wrote: This is Juan2Yak, been here now going on 3 years and I must say the fishing has a lot to be desired if you fish inshore. I caught Dodo's last year at the Seamounts and Doble, yt at Lalo's and Sa Point and this year I have been given access to a small boat so I have retired the kayak for now and enjoying the freedom of a boat. We fished the south end of the reef at 7miles in blue water Monday. We trolled 2 teased up Ballyhoo on the short lines and 2 Dorado Zuker blue/white, and green/yellow jigs out passed the second wake. Saw a Sail and worked around him for 15 minutes with no love, then our jigs went off and it was game on. Hit upon a school of Dodo's. Brought in the lines, left one fish in the water, chunked up some ballyhoo to keep them close, then grabbed our small spinning outfits with krocks and kastmasters and had a ball for a half hour of non stop fun. We caught a couple of 5 pounders and a bunch of 2,3 pounders. Then a seal showed up and spoiled the fun. We kept 8 of the bigger ones and released the rest. Made for a fun ride to the docks. My 2 cents or 55 years of fishing is that the sophistication of the commercial fleets with their spotter planes and electronics and no enforcement on counts spells doom for any body of water. Us rec guys, global warming alarmists, la Nina/el Nino effects, Saragossa depletion all have it's impact. But it is a cyclical thing and fish stocks will rebound, but only if the commercial boys are reigned in. But the world demands seafood and there lies the problem, supply and demand, with a little greed mixed in...Tight LinesSo, there were 4 of you in the small boat? In ocean waters and estuaries the limit is a total of ten fish per day, with no more than 5 catches of a single specie, except of the species of Marlin, Sailfish and Swordfish and Shark, of which only one specimen of either is allowed, and which counts as five toward the overall 10 fish limit, or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two samples of each specie are allowed, and which count as five toward the overall 10 fish limit.

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
58th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Drones with paralyzing, GPS embedded darts that the panga seeks out?

Hey, anything could happen. I saw yesterday that the NYPD is trying out a robotic cop. If it turns out it works, they estimated that 30% of the police force could be robotic by 2030, or some such date.

It's inevitable that the commercials will turn even more on the billfish, since the dorado have become so scarce. Marlin is on the menu, up and down the coast, too. Illegally, of course. You think that all restaurants have a cadre of recreational boaters supplying them with meat?

Last edited on Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 02:11 pm by Hook

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 02:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
59th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Note - I am not pointing a finger, only noting that posted information is open to interpretation by the masses.
Remember Mexico Mel's "My best fishing day ever!"?

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 02:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
60th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I dont remember that post by Mel. Would love to hear it. He had some stories; some believable, some not so much.

Current time is 11:22 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > L.I.F.T. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems