San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Yellowtail Gear  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 26th, 2016 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Crawdad

Mana: 
Question for you guys...
I am looking to get a couple of setups both for Jigging and for fishing Poppers for Yellowtail.  I am relatively inexperienced at this and have only caught YT trolling.  I am looking at Shimano. (I have an old guide buddy that I am able to get a one time Shimano pro deal from).  I was thinking conventional for jigging rigs and spinning set ups for the poppers but didn't know specifics about what I should get.  Length, weight etc.  If I am getting two jig rods should one be heavier than the other to cover my bases?  Same with popper rods?  I am probably in the mid range (Torium) kind of budget, but would rather get something that I can count on and will last.
Any info is appreciated.  Thanks a ton!
Corky  

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Dec 26th, 2016 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
marlin master

Mana: 
If you are in town go down to Marina San Carlos and talk to Fernando at catch 22 charters. He is always ready and willing to help people figure out what they need. He might even have some gear to sell you to get you started. Suerte !

Posted: Mon Dec 26th, 2016 10:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Crawdad

Mana: 
Unfortunately I am not there until Late Feb. Trying to bring gear back down with me when I come. Thanks though

Posted: Mon Dec 26th, 2016 10:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
As Fernando is busy, I will try to help and suggest the Tsunami Airwave Elite Spinning Rod from Tackle Direct for around $110+sh, 7' one piece rated for 3/4-4 oz poppers paired with a Shimano Saragosa 8000SW

For a lightweight jigging rod, this is another Fernando rod is using, and I believe he would suggest you pair it with a Maxel 06 or 08 conventional reel

Put 50 lb 8 strand braid on both setups and get so 60lb mono o floro for leader material.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jigging-Master-Saber-Game-55B-Jig/252279329920?_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3Daf2607a590b44eecac8365c82659a05e%26pid%3D100508%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

This is a short light jigging rod that will work 120-200 gr jigs and not tire you. Its a very limber rod, so the only caution is not to high stick it on yellow tail and large grouper.

I believe this is all you need for 95% of all jigging an popping in SC.

Posted: Tue Dec 27th, 2016 01:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
PQ Almada

Mana: 
agree with everything Bullshipper said. also check out the Maxel Gold spinning rods...I just got a pair and I am liking them a lot for popping, but the airwave elite is hard to beat and also less expensive

Fernando

Posted: Wed Dec 28th, 2016 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Crawdad

Mana: 
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys!

Posted: Sat Dec 31st, 2016 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
SBT

Mana: 
Bullshipper, I'm looking at the rod in the link, but it says it is optimized for 50-120 gr jigs.  I think most of my jigs are 2-300 gr (they are in MX and I am not).  What size jigs are you guys using?

Last edited on Sat Dec 31st, 2016 07:00 pm by SBT

Posted: Sat Dec 31st, 2016 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
150-300 grams

Posted: Sat Dec 31st, 2016 07:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
150-300 grams, and these rods will handle up to 200's easily.

Posted: Sat Dec 31st, 2016 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
SBT

Mana: 
OK, I'm now looking to pair it with a Penn Fathom 25 lever drag. What do you think of that combo and should the reel be single or 2 speed?

Posted: Sat Dec 31st, 2016 07:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I use these very light rods 85% of the time, and will only switch to a Jigmaster Ninja ML that is 63" long when the fish are consistantly get over 35 lbs, or if I go to 250-450 grams jigs. These are available from Pesche Sud in Canada at CAD-USD favorable exchange rates but will still cost you over $270 USD, so I would take advantage of the cheaper ebay rod while they last. But these rods have landed 40 lb yellows and up to 80 lb grouper, without a blank breaking, and boy do they bend with fish on.

Fernando and I have found that the very limber jig rods are much less tiring, and they bounce the jigs better than stiffer, and especially longer stiffer rods. If the lure works in the water better you get more strikes, and if you can last longer jigging, you also are more productive at the end of the day with your jigs in the water more too.

We are using up to 20 lbs of drag for larger yt hitting close to the rocks that can cut you off if you let the green fish run too much, so we do not high stick the rods to prent them from breaking. Even a spinning rod with a lot of back bone will not take more than about 13 lbs of drag if you high stick it, so we also limit the amount of stress we put on the spinners and let the reels, set at 20 lbs + palm to do 75% of the fighting as we look to spinners that cast and work the poppers to get us hooked up more, then worry about the fight later, but getting hooked up is the priority, and these recomendations come after testing dozens of blanks and not reading what line weights, action specifications, and other variables that we find less accurate.

I am 65 and out of shape, but I try to keep up with PQ the best I can and still enjoy the day. Of course, I still have to go to the Pharmacy for breakfast once in a while, but these rods help.

Posted: Sat Dec 31st, 2016 07:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
SBT

Mana: 
Thanks. I'm assuming "high sticking" means a hard, straight up hook set. How do you set the hook if not high sticking?
The Jigging master rod link above was the last one, and I just bought it.  Thanks for the reference.

Last edited on Sat Dec 31st, 2016 07:46 pm by SBT

Posted: Sat Dec 31st, 2016 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: I use these very light rods that we use at least for 85% of our jigging together, and I will only switch to a a slightly stiffer Jigmaster Ninja ML that is 63" long when the fish are consistantly get over 35 lbs, or if I go to 250-450 grams jigs. These are available from Pesche Sud in Canada at CAD-USD favorable exchange rates but will still cost you over $270 USD, so I would take advantage of the cheaper $120 ebay rod while they last. These light rods have landed 40 lb yellows and up to 80 lb grouper, without a blank breaking, but boy do they bend with fish on.

Fernando and I have found that the very limber jig rods are much less tiring, and they bounce the jigs better in the water column than stiffer rods. If the lure works in the water better you get more strikes, and if you can last longer jigging, you also are more productive at the end of the day with your jigs in the water more too.

We are using up to 20 lbs of drag for the larger deep yt hitting close to the rocks that can cut you off if you let the green fish run too much, so we do not high stick these rods to prevent them from breaking. Even a spinning rod with a lot of back bone will not take more than about 13 lbs of drag if you high stick it, so we also limit the amount of stress we put on the spinners and let the reels, set at 20 lbs + palm to do 75% of the fighting pinting the rod tips more at the fish as we also look to spinners that cast and work the poppers better to get us hooked up more, then worry about the fight later. Getting hooked up is the priority, and these 2-3 recommendations come after testing dozens of blanks and learning to ignore line weights, action specifications, and other variables that we find less accurate.

I am 65 and out of shape, but I try to keep up with PQ the best I can and still enjoy the day. Of course, I still have to go to the Pharmacy for breakfast once in a while, but these rods help.

Posted: Sun Jan 1st, 2017 04:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
PQ Almada

Mana: 
high sticking refers more to abusing the angle of the rod during the fight. If the fish is pulling down like a YT does you want to keep your rod down, specially during the first run. If the fish is on the surface away from the boat high ticking is not a problem, but when the fish is straight down if you high stick the rod you have a good chance of braking it. Being a charter guide I have seen this happen many times...and since it's always my rods braking it really suuucks!!
look at the image...try to stay at 45 or 60 degrees at most. It all depends on where the fish is. If it is on top and away from the boat then it is not an issue
Fernando

Last edited on Sun Jan 1st, 2017 05:07 pm by PQ Almada

Posted: Sun Jan 1st, 2017 04:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
SBT

Mana: 
Thank you, that was very informative!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 1st, 2017 02:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Walter

Mana: 
Great advice in the posts above.Very educational post Fernando !!!Obey the "No High Sticking" rule and you will be surprised how large of a fish you can land with a jig stick. Have seen fish to 100 lbs brought to gaff with those short parabolic jigging rods. 
As for setting the hook,,,, Point the rod down and crank down HARD and keep heavy steady pressure ,,,,and as Jeff says use the reel not the rod. The YT will set it's own hook during that first gut wrenching , power run that wants to dislocate your shoulders. Just make sure your drag is not under 10 lbs or in some high obstacle fishing locations ,,,,,  as Jeff describes above, a much higher drag setting works best. (to 20 lbs. )
This jigging game is not as simple as it looks. Would recommend fishing a day with Fernando, there are some finer points to  jigging that he will be very happy to help you with. He will do everything in his power to get you up to speed and help  you become successful.
Walt

Last edited on Mon Jan 2nd, 2017 07:35 pm by Walter

Posted: Sun Jan 1st, 2017 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
I prefer the "how much drag can I use and not break the line" setting...or, at least I did the last time I fished!;)
Day one of the "Return to IronMan" workout today, and a resolution to be in shape in 54 days! 

Posted: Mon Jan 2nd, 2017 12:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
atschetter

Mana: 
Looks like a great day Ironman!!! Where did you catch them at?

Posted: Mon Jan 2nd, 2017 04:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
PQ Almada

Mana: 
That day we were at the Island, couple of years ago.

Posted: Mon Jan 2nd, 2017 10:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
photo from 2105 - island fish. all my best fish are from there. 

Current time is 09:33 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Yellowtail Gear Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems