San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
help bringing a boat  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2016 11:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
playa vaquero

Mana: 
I have recently moved to San Carlos and left my boat at a friend's in New Mexico because I was not sure about rules getting it across the border. I'm looking for someone that is coming this way that could pick it up and bring it down. It is a 19 foot center console not a big heavy boat and be pulled with a half ton pickup very easily or even SUVs

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2016 02:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
By law the prime mover and the boat/trailer need to be registered to the same person or immediate family member. Having someone haul it down may run the risk of having it denied admission into Mexico.

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2016 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
playa vaquero

Mana: 
I was afraid of something like that. The title is with it.. this is why I left it behind. Not sure of all the rules and didn't have a place for it lined up. But I have a home with room now. I wonder how it would be if I met someone at the border. Thanks for the  information. 

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2016 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
playa vaquero

Mana: 
I'm in the process of changing citizenship and think I may have a mess going back and forth acroso the border but maybe not.

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2016 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Seasick

Mana: 
I was heading to San Carlos one day going by way of Nogales, stopped at 21 to get something and there was an American with a very nice boat and pick up headed a long ways south to a tournament or something and his pick up was registered to his company and his boat was registered to him. They were not letting him through. Even though he owned both, the registrations were to different names. 

Last edited on Wed Nov 30th, 2016 11:13 pm by Seasick

Posted: Wed Nov 30th, 2016 11:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
playa vaquero

Mana: 
Thank you

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 12:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
Don't forget to get a TIP.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 12:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I brought one last week and they stopped me to check serial numbers. I was not stopped at the same location when I brought another one 3 years ago.

Roll of the dice.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
playa vaquero

Mana: 
I will just go get it myself and hope I can  get back.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 06:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jordy

Mana: 
Paperwork is key, always. More is better. If you think you don't need it, put it in the folder and bring it. Anything boat related, trailer related, truck related, you related. It could save you a trip back or a long wait to receive it via fax.

I played the game a few times in the matter of a couple of weeks with my Rhino and felt like I was on a Japanese gameshow. Spent a few hours the first time, which was after about 12 other times bringing it down, and got it all squared away. Brought it down a few weeks later again, with all the paperwork I had from the previous trip, and the rules had changed again already. A few more hours, a deposit, more paperwork, and we were off.

That was the last time I took it down there as it turned into a repeated hassle. Luckily I had a huge pile of paperwork. They didn't like the trailer registration that AZ uses because it was a full sheet form and was different than the smaller truck registration as it was a permanent registration. That was an hour to sort through.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 06:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
playa vaquero

Mana: 
Great! I spent 3 days trying to get my truck across the border because it is registered in one of my business names so I had to write myself a permission letter and have it notarized before I can bring it now that it's here I don't want to take it back because it will be a nightmare to do it again but I am planning on staying permanently anyway. Sounds like the boat situation will probably be even worse because it is an Oklahoma boat and they don't even register trailers so the trailer has no paperwork.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 06:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jordy

Mana: 
The nice thing, if you have a sense of humor anyway, is if they say no today, try again tomorrow as someone will give you a different answer most likely.

Anything with a plate on it will have to have paperwork. Could you have it registered in NM to one of your businesses? Having everything match seems to make things easier as well. They do like things notarized too. Makes it more important in their eyes. If you can get everything in the same name with the same format, you're less likely to be delayed more than normal.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
playa vaquero

Mana: 
 yes I'm thinking I will go to Arizona and retitle everything the same then bring it down here and drive to the border every 6 months and check it back in. I know what you're saying about it being different from day to day when I came down and had to write my letter to myself and have it notarized the one gal said no bueno and I went back 5 hours later after they change shifts and the next one said heck yeah. After 3 days of being stuck in Juarez. I  have a pretty good sense of humor but it ran out the third day.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 07:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Jordy

Mana: 
There was a time we were calling it MexiNO! Just wait and it will change again directly.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 07:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
playa vaquero

Mana: 
I love the culture, family values, and the simplicity of life in Mexico. Well except for everything getting stolen from the back of my truck. I wish they wouldn't make it so difficult to come join in.

Posted: Sun Dec 4th, 2016 11:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Seasick

Mana: 
I have never had a problem with getting my boat back and forth as I had lots of papers and the TIP of course. I got checked a couple of times but waived through. I mentioned another guy who wasn't being so lucky.
But speaking of getting through or past or given permission, whatever, a couple of weeks ago I went to Nogales to get a tourist permit because I was going to go to Oaxaca again for a while, 1 month last year, 2 months this year and I am there now. I fly out of Hermosillo so I need my permit. I stopped in Rio Rico pick up a friend who wanted to do something there too and he just happens to be a CPB officer also. We went through, walked to the office and asked about getting a permit. The receptionist girl says "system is down, can't do it, have to go to 21 or Mariposa. 
Well if you have done this before, you know there is no "system". You just fill out the form, pay the money and leave. So my CBP friend dials up a supervisor friend on the Mexican side and asks about the problem. This guy goes into the office, comes out and says it's OK now. We go in, fill out the paper, pay the money and leave. 
Sounds like someone was making the decision that they were not going to do any work right then.

Posted: Thu Dec 15th, 2016 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
da2434890

Mana: 
In our case we brought the boat down with our Jeep and we got a TIP.  Then a year later we got an all Mexico car permit with the same Jeep.  Later we wanted to sell the Jeep.  Since we still had the all Mexico permit we went to the border but they refused to remove the permit unless the boat was towed behind it.  We had a long discussion with many people and managers at the border and although they thought that it was rediculous for me to return to San Carlos to get the boat they still insisted upon it.  Since the gas cost alone would have been more than the cost of a permit I even offered to buy another permit and have them remove both.  I finally said who cares, my wife can get the next all Mexico permit so now I am unable to get another all Mexico permit in my name and any new car must be in both names.    

Posted: Mon Dec 19th, 2016 04:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
playa vaquero

Mana: 
Yikes. I made it back with mine. I have a funny story. I  tried to title everything in my name to simplify things at the border. I don't have a American address since I travel guiding Hunters and fishermen so I couldn't get retitled in Colorado, new Mexico or Arizona without a drivers license in that state. But I couldn't get a drivers license without a address. So Farmington new Mexico told me I could go to the homeless shelter and use their address. So I went to the homeless shelter and told them I am homeless but not in need it just travel when I am nothing in Mexico. They said no problem you can use our address and we will give you a place to live but you have to stay here. You can't go to work  traveling!!!!! Which would have been only 1 of the 2 required proof of residence anyway. They also want a utility bill which the only one I have is in san carlos. I  finally gave up and drove back to the  border and after 6 hours of explanations of how I can't get a title in my name or a new drivers license they finally gave me the permits and let me come back to san carlos. Now I have my boat here and trying to find a place where I can put it in and out of the water on my own. I fish most everyday so I'm not going to pay $8 day to use the ramp or $19 day for a slip or I will have to hit the road guiding just to afford a place to keep the boat that I won't have time to use. Ay Carumba!!

Posted: Mon Dec 19th, 2016 12:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I admire your persistence! Fun costs money. Maybe get a slip at Marina Real for the month if you go almost every day.

Posted: Mon Dec 19th, 2016 01:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
zancudo

Mana: 
I think a slip for my 21ft center console is about $8 a day if you buy a month at Marina San Carlos.  $240 or so for 30 days and you don't have to use it all at once.  I come down for a week every month or two and have the boat in a slip for 5-6 days at a time.

Current time is 04:54 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > help bringing a boat Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems