San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: gwbuild, bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Hiking Trails  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 10th, 2010 04:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jeffwilh

Mana: 
Are there any hiking trails around San Carlos for the beginner/ intermediate hiker?

My experience is limited to the hiking trails around Phoenix.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Mar 10th, 2010 12:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
There are millions, this is a rural area in the Sonora desert. Others will probably chime in with more details.

See SC on Google Earth.

Posted: Wed Mar 10th, 2010 01:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mesa

Mana: 
This is to clarify the last post a bit.  What is correct is that that are lots and lots of places to hike but  it is not correct that there are prepared hiking trails of the sort found around US cities with signs saying xxx is 2 miles, yyy is 4.3 miles, maps, etc.  The poster probably didn't mean that but you might read that into the post.  Here there are lots of canyons and hills with fairly open creek bottoms, cattle trails and in some cases, dirt roads.  Just pick a spot that looks interesting and head out. 

If you go off the dirt roads onto cattle trails, etc, you will likely end up doing some bushwacking from time to time.  Many of the desert plants have thorns so depending on you tolerance for scratches and blood, dress appropriately.  Many of the canyons are fenced but the locals don't seem to mind people hopping the fences, just NEVER open a gate.  Also there are several herds of cattle wandering around but they don't seem to be bothered by hikers.    

Posted: Wed Mar 10th, 2010 03:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dickrep

Mana: 
Mesa, is absolutely correct: I'm not aware of any "trails" similar to the US, but there are many places to hike. Here are three of them:

1/Nacapule Canyon...georgeous scenery, and mostly a walk up the boulder strewn riverbed. There used to be somewhat of a trail that was destroyed with the floods of Hurricane Jimena.

2/"the Waterfall"...perhaps a 45 minute hike. This is a little difficult to find without some guidance, but you must follow the road past two of the La Manga villages and then take a right turn which will put you up against a gate (was closed the last time we were there) of a ranch property. Walk through the ranch and you will find a guy who collects approx 50 pesos a person to hike up the side of the hill until you reach the waterfall. You will find more birds if you go early in the morning.

3/Tetakawi...a strenuous hike up the back side of our famous landmark. I haven't done it myself but I'm told the view is spectacular.

happy hiking...Dick

Posted: Wed Mar 10th, 2010 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Thanks for clarifying.

Like was mentioned above, no formal hiking paths "like back home". We're are in Mexico for Gods' sake. I think it is still classified as a 3rd world country. Just enjoy the freedom, (you can still camp and have a fire on the beach!) and hardships, while you are here. Pretty much the desert around San Carlos is similar to what you have around Phx.

We also have Miles and Miles of beach to walk too.

I suggest once again, research the area with Google Earth (it is free). You will see trails and primitive roads, areas of interest, and there are a LOT of photos of the area on Google earth.

Have fun, be safe.

Last edited on Wed Mar 10th, 2010 03:56 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2010 12:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
gwbuild

Mana: 
Another hike of note. Like was said... not official maintained hiking trails.

Across from Algodones beach just past the Palmar bridge is 'Rancho el Mar'. They have a small sign on the road advertising horse riding, and homemade cheese. If you pull into their ranch, you can ask to drive up their road which is a couple miles of dirt road. Expect to pay a small fee, maybe $5 per vehicle.

At the end of the road is a simple short walk to a beautiful Oasis poket canyon. I personally feel it is the best (easily accessed) in the area now that Nacapule has washed out and dried up. A great place for anyone to spend some time enjoying shade and beauty. Very easy access, short 3-5 minute walk.

But the real hike is up the canyon to the Northeast. Head up into the canyon and stay left. It will split, stay left working your way thru on the main cattle trail. About 40-60 minutes in, you reach a couple of incredibly beautiful  swimming holes. In the states the area would be considered a "narrows". All tree shaded, spectacular colored rocks.

This hike isn't a simple walk-in like Nacapule, but for anyone looking for an afternoon adventure, it can't be beat.

Posted: Wed Mar 17th, 2010 06:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
lucydmot

Mana: 
I'm in the area through the end of April and looking for folks I can hike and/or kayak with. Are there groups or individuals? I'm 55 years old and a easy to moderate hikes... one to four miles is good - carry my camera. Kayaking - I went alone from Marina Terra Beach to honeymoon island on my own the other day... so that's about my skill level there.

Thx,
Lucy

Posted: Wed Mar 17th, 2010 09:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Lucy - There is an informal Sea Kayak club meets every couple weeks - next is provisionally planned for the 24th - I believe Fern will announce when plans firmed up, on both boards. Last Sunday was great fun out at the Estuary. Your skill set above mine :-) !!

Posted: Thu Mar 18th, 2010 12:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
lucydmot

Mana: 
Great I'll hold the date. I have to rent a kayak. Don't have my own.

Posted: Thu Mar 18th, 2010 01:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Pretty sure Brian will be renting some - I have to rent as well !
:)

Posted: Thu Mar 18th, 2010 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Just in case I misled anyone with the wrong date here is what Fern posted on viva.

The Sefarin' Kayakers Group, sponsored by the San Carlos Yacht Club, but welcoming to all, will be doing their next adventure on Thursday, March 25. We plan to leave from the Puesta del Sol area and kayak up to La Manga (hopefully we'll be able to get some lunch but BYOB). We'll meet in the parking lot in front of Barricuda Bob's at 8:30 am and caravan on up. I'll post additional info on this web. If canceled because of weather, I'll post that early Thursday morning. Fern

Posted: Fri Mar 19th, 2010 01:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
:)

Posted: Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 07:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
AlS

Mana: 
I want to publish hikes around San Carlos. Can I get more information from you about hikes you like? Information that would help:
- where does it start (description or GPS)?
- where does it end?
- difficulty?
- what do you like about it?
- is there a visible path?
- what can you see along the way or at the destination?

I am starting to write a free San Carlos guide APP. Initially it will be on Android. Initially, it will be aimed at visitors. It will be map and GPS based. I think that there will be several base maps. One certainly will be topographic based.

What I hope to do with your information is:
1) Walk the trail myself, tracking it with a GPS (unless you already have a GPS track!)
2) Take the GPS track and put it on the San Carlos map along with pictures and descriptions
3) Share early versions with you.

Along with Hiking trails, I think early points of interest will include:
1) free WiFi spots (good for the visitor with cell phone plans up north)
2) Places to rent equipment for activities (bicycle, kayak, scooter, ATV)
3) scenic spots including areas for viewing interesting animals and plants
4) bicycle routes through the desert
5) Gyms with short term rates and facilities

You can either post here, or, email me at asjogren1 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Thanks for sharing with our community!

Posted: Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 10:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
gwbuild

Mana: 
Great idea. Go for it!

Would downloads from say a Garmin watch to the MyGarmin webpage work for the system you intend to use? Where a URL is generated which is overlaid onto a satellite image (or viewable in Google Earth).

Or do you need actual GPS waypoints which have been manually designated along a hiking/biking trail with a more "hand-on" style GPS unit?

I've been wanting to find a way to get some of the Algodones area mountain bike rides and hikes out to the public. Most people don't realize there's a single-track/trail network which has been layed out in that area.... just a few of the more serious local mtn bikers and trail runners know about them.

Posted: Thu Dec 23rd, 2010 12:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
AlS

Mana: 
gwbuild:

However you wish to communicate your trail. Either enough information for me to retrace your steps, or, actual GPS tracks in whatever format you have.

Posted: Thu Dec 23rd, 2010 12:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
gwbuild

Mana: 
Wasn't sure how your mapping system would work.
If it is just going off a GPS overlay on a map, that's not enough detail in my mind to make sure someone is able to follow a correct trail.

One of these days I'll get a real GPS out on those trails with waypoints, turns and such...

Posted: Thu Dec 23rd, 2010 01:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
AlS

Mana: 
gwbuild,

My initial thought is that I draw the track on the custom map and give waypoints, description, and possibly pictures. And the map would exist at several zoom levels - with different details available at each zoom level.

Someone with an Android device with GPS can actually follow along and see if their track deviates from the published track. The map would be embedded with the application.

Frankly, I think that just having a list of hiking trails and a general route on a map would be a huge improvement. Cairns could mark the more popular routes.

I am interested in your concern, gwbuild.

Posted: Thu Dec 23rd, 2010 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
AlS

Mana: 
Perhaps I can publish hikes additionally in a format better suited to hikers/bicyclers.

Would a GPX file of the hikes around San Carlos be useful as a secondary deliverable? Or, is there another way you would prefer to see these trails?

Posted: Sat Dec 25th, 2010 07:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
AlS

Mana: 
I already have Topo maps of the area 1:50,000 - and I can buy Digital Raster Maps at that same scale.

Are there 1:20,000 Topo maps of the area available anywhere? I looked, but did not find any.

Posted: Sat Dec 25th, 2010 03:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
gwbuild

Mana: 
Where did you find topos for the area?

Current time is 01:49 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Outdoor Rec Forum > Hiking Trails Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems