San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
FMM  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 6th, 2011 05:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
All visitors to Mexico are required to obtain a tourist card, properly a Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM).  These forms are available at border crossings on the Mexican side. Look for the Imigracion or Migracion office.  The fact that you may get a green light from customs or even waved on after a customs inspection does not relieve you of the responsibility to get your FMM. 

The FMM is valid for a maximum of 180 days and cannot be renewed.  It can be used for multiple visits to Mexico within the validity period.  Upon departure or expiration, the forms must be turned in at a border Imigracion office.

There is no charge for the FMM for visits of 7 days or less.  From 8 - 180 days, there is a fee that is about $22-23 dollars depending on exchange rate.

To assist you in completing and understanding the form, we have posted it online in a document format with instructions in English that you can open, print and take with you to help fill out the form.  Click Here to open the document.

Bart

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 12:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
kensue12

Mana: 
Thanks bartmanaz! Now you won't have to answer that question in my post from a few minutes ago.

Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 07:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
B.Bailey

Mana: 
Bart - I guess I've been lucky. When Mexico declared "Sonora Only" I was told by a guy at Km. 21  " you don't need a visa , FMM card , tourist card - whatever it is called for "Sonora Only". Now I know better. Thanks. My question is if you pay for a 180 day visa and are there for only a few days but will be coming back in the next week or two - do you still have to turn in your paper on departing or keep your visa and be sure to turn it in before the 180 days expire. 

Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 07:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
juanstua

Mana: 
When I got my visitors permit in october they date  stamped my passport.hoping I can reenter in may?  

Posted: Sat Jan 8th, 2011 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
For BB, the FMM is good for multiple entry/exit til it expires and should be turned in before the expiration date.

For juanstua, October to May is more than 180 days.  Best hi thee to a consulate or the border and surrender before your expiration in March.

Bart

Posted: Sun Jan 9th, 2011 05:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Cole4

Mana: 
What if you are planning on staying for 6 days so you don't pay the FMM tourist fee when you get your toursit card, but then you extend your stay past the free 7 days.

Posted: Sun Jan 9th, 2011 05:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
My understanding is it can be extended to the maximum of 180 days.  Based on that understanding and review of the information available, it would be your responsibility to report to the nearest Migracion office and get it extended before the 7 day expiration period and pay the fee.

My advice would be that if that possibility exists, you would be well advised to get the FMM for 180 days and pay the fee in the first place.

If anyone has any practical experience here please share it.

Bart

Posted: Mon Jan 10th, 2011 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
applegrower

Mana: 
I heard yesterday that one is limited to one 180 day pass a year. Do you know if this is correct? We come down several times a year and if this is true, we need to rethink our plans.
Thanks

Posted: Mon Jan 10th, 2011 07:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
As far as i know that rule is not enforced.  Anybody else have experience with this?

Posted: Mon Jan 10th, 2011 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Cole4

Mana: 
Are you able to pay for the FMM card with US currency?  Are people still able to use US currency at the local shops in San Carlos or have money exchanged at the Banamex?

Posted: Mon Jan 10th, 2011 09:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
TheColoradoDude

Mana: 
I was issued a 6 month FMT(nowFMM)in November of 2009. It was set to expire on May 20, 2010. On May 15th or so I drove to KM21 and was issued another now FMM for 180 days. I left to the USA late June and turned that in. Recently I obtained another 180 day FMM in December at KM21. I have yet to hear a story of someone being denied another FMM after the 180 stay is up. I follow this topic rather closely on several different Message boards including BajaNomads.

As far as the US currency question. They can exchange dollars for pesos at KM21 although not sure of the rate. You can get pesos at the current exchange rate from your own bank. Some places are still taking US dollars but from my understanding they have cracked down on the amount a local business can deposit in US dollars per week so it is best just to get them before hand or us your ATM card in town. I hope this helps.

Posted: Tue Jan 11th, 2011 12:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
You can pay for an FMM with Us currency at Banamex at KM21.  Other places i can't say.

This thread is about the FMM.  If you have other $$ questions, start a new thread, please.

Posted: Thu Feb 3rd, 2011 03:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
I came down yesterday (Feb 2) - my FMM expiration date was Feb 22 so I stopped for a new one. I gave her the old one (an FMM issued under the new computerized rules), she cancelled it & gave me a new one for 180 days. I paid at the bank, back to immigration, she stamped it and I left. No issues. Maybe a different person on a different day does different things - who knows - it's Mexico. I'll take some variation to not have all the paranoia up there.

There are 4 BIG signs just before Km21 clearly stating the requirement to stop at immigration and get a permit. Three in Spanish but the meaning is obvious even if you don't know a word of Spanish, the last one is in very plain English. I didn't have a camera with me or I'd have taken photos to post here.

So let's not hear anymore - "Oh, I didn't know." If you don't have one - you didn't get one on purpose.

Last edited on Thu Feb 3rd, 2011 03:29 pm by nice guy

Posted: Thu Feb 3rd, 2011 05:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Thanks for the first hand report Nice Guy.  Clears up a lot of questions.

Posted: Sat Feb 19th, 2011 01:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
scirocco

Mana: 
Another question I don't think was answered, If you have 180 day FMM and you leave Mexico with the expectation of returning halfway thru your 180 day period and you are unable to return to Mexico and turn in your permit. Can you turn it in at your local consulate?

Posted: Sat Feb 19th, 2011 02:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Simple solutuion would be call the consulate and ask them.

Bart

Posted: Sun Feb 27th, 2011 03:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
kensue12

Mana: 
Bart, you said we must turn in our FMM forms at a border Imigracion office. Do we just turn them in to the Mexican boarder people as we cross, or do we need to go into "a border Imigracion office" somewhere at the border?

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 03:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
onthehook

Mana: 
If you're talking about the US Consulate, regarding Mexican visas, you'll probably get the answer that they don't deal with Mexican visa issues. They will probably direct you to the Mexican authorities.....or maybe a Mexican Consulate in the US.
Our Consulate may, informally, give you an answer, but when those questions have been asked before (involving Mex. issues) they have directed you to the source- the Mexican gov't. Our Consulates deal with American issues.

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
You need to turn them in at Imigracion wherre you cross.  I've turned in both at Naco and Nogales 21km

Bart

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 02:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
taoswheat

Mana: 
Where at Naco?

Current time is 11:56 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > FMM Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems