San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Cost of living  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Dec 29th, 2010 06:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
cuttersc

Mana: 
Is there a link out there that give a "guess estimate" on the cost living in San Carlos vs Phoenix for example?:)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Dec 29th, 2010 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Don't be fooled into thinking that it costs less here in Mexico. It will cost about the same as Phx. Unless you live in a shack and eat beens and tortillas by candle light. Utilities, gas for your vehicle, about the same, and a lot of the food you will want to eat is brought in from the states , and is higher priced because of import taxes-27%. I buy bread up North in Wal-Mart for 97 cents, here the same bread is 25 pesos. Most of the folks here have paid cash for their homes so they don't pay a mortgage. 

Perhaps someone else can chime in, and they have a different experience.

Last edited on Wed Dec 29th, 2010 07:11 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Wed Dec 29th, 2010 07:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
cuttersc

Mana: 
Interesting, thanks.

Posted: Wed Dec 29th, 2010 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
RichD

Mana: 
As a very general rule, materials are more expensive and labor is less expensive.  Dentists, general car repairs, etc are much less expensive than the US.  Electronics are more expensive here but not much different with more competiition now.  Property tax is much less as is rent.  The days of living on $600 a month are gone but I think it is generally less to live here if you live a modest life.  It is less to live in Hermosillo which has a similar climate to Phoenix.  You pay a bit more to live by the sea almost anywhere you go. 

Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 12:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
BTW, I just contracted for water, electric and sewer connections on a new lot in SC and it was almost $1,000 usd. That was just for the connections..

But, I do know of 1 Gringo who lives in a Mexican subdivision,  pay rent of 1400 pesos per month for a nice small 2 bdrm, 1ba.

Last edited on Thu Dec 30th, 2010 12:23 am by Jimmy

Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 12:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
cuttersc

Mana: 
That would be about $4-5000 here for similar SDC's

Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jchgpr

Mana: 
Anything that involves labor is cheaper, Vegetables, meat, fish, flowers,taxes are cheaper. Fuel, electric,water is about the same. Leisure items, Restaurants,golf, baseball in Hermosillo, movies etc. are cheaper. Maid service is cheaper as are most human services.
Taxes are cheaper as are medical costs and dental expenses.
Buses,transport etc. is cheaper.
You still need $2,000 per couple to live well and confortably.

Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
I have a 2 yr old 1500 sq ft 2 bed, 2 bath house here in San Carlos and a 1000 sq ft 2 bed 2 bath condo in Tucson. Here's some hard numbers for 2010.

SC house yr
prop taxes 195
prop trust 575
insurance 124
water 288
electric 354
phone 468 inc DSL
propane 77
Total $2081 or US$173 per mo

Tucson condo yr
prop taxes 670
insurance 141
electric 312
phone 264 no DSL
HOA 1656
Total $3043 or US$254 per mo

Last edited on Thu Dec 30th, 2010 01:55 pm by nice guy

Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
cuttersc

Mana: 
Thank you all, info is very helpful.

Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 09:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Nice Guy, thanks for a good detailed summary. I did notice that NOA fee. If you didn't have that it would be cheaper in Tucson.

Still, what is the price to live in Paradise?

Last edited on Thu Dec 30th, 2010 09:57 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
maryt

Mana: 
Not so Jimmy. If you didn't have HOA fees you would be paying for those costs of upkeep or utilities yourself and they would not necessarily be cheaper. They would certainly not be nonexistent.

Posted: Fri Dec 31st, 2010 03:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Yes, the water is buried in the HOA fees and there is no propane as it's all electric.

Some things are better here (beef, pork, fish, fruit) and some things are better or cheaper there (bagels, chicken, cheddar cheese, milk, eggs).

Posted: Fri Dec 31st, 2010 04:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Lots of good information.  The price of housing in Phoenix and other parts of the US has made a drastic change since 2008.  It used to be much cheaper to buy a home here but I don't think that is true anymore. 

Posted: Fri Dec 31st, 2010 08:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I love the Fruits and Veggies here. But the beans here, taste the same as up north. LOL

BTW, If anyone wants really fresh fish, go to the Fuel dock at Marina San Carlos and talk to Pedro, or who ever is on duty. You can order fresh fish for the next day from him. The next day they will catch the fish and you pick it up right after it is caught. All the local pangaderos get their fuel there and he will tell one what you want. Don't forget his tip.

Last edited on Fri Dec 31st, 2010 08:07 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Sat Jan 1st, 2011 02:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
dorados

Mana: 
Don't let anybody fool you.  San Carlos is the most expensive place I have ever lived.  While housing, taxes, food, insurance and medical care are all cheaper, it is exteremely expensive to fish, play golf, eat out in restaurants, drink, fish, drink, golf, and generally messing around.  I am currently writing a book on how to live in San Carlos on $10,000.00 USD per month.  It is set for publication in 2012 but by that time I may have to increase the amount.  Es porque me nombre es Pobre Juan.

Posted: Sat Jan 1st, 2011 05:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
RichD

Mana: 
It is exteremely expensive to play golf, eat out in restaurants, drink etc in Phoenix too.  Many people live here on social security alone.  When all is said and done, cost of living here is comparable to the US in my opinion.  I lived in Phoenix for many years and am very happy to live here.  It is not for everyone.  Living cheaply is not the reason to be here.  I would advise anyone thinking of moving here to rent for a while and find out if San Carlos is really for you. 

Posted: Sat Jan 1st, 2011 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
cuttersc

Mana: 
I appreciate everyones input.

Posted: Sun Jan 2nd, 2011 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Inde

Mana: 
dorados wrote: Don't let anybody fool you.  San Carlos is the most expensive place I have ever lived.  While housing, taxes, food, insurance and medical care are all cheaper, it is exteremely expensive to fish, play golf, eat out in restaurants, drink, fish, drink, golf, and generally messing around.  I am currently writing a book on how to live in San Carlos on $10,000.00 USD per month.  It is set for publication in 2012 but by that time I may have to increase the amount.  Es porque me nombre es Pobre Juan.

Hey, Probre Juan, I think it is very iresponsible of you to publish that kind of misleading information. Not many people can consume that amount of beer @ 10 pesos per beer. However, I will keep trying, but I can only manage to spend $2000 per month including all household expenses.

Guess I am lightweight :shock:  

Posted: Sun Jan 2nd, 2011 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Eire

Mana: 
Maybe he/she means pesos?
Could you give us a detailed account of what you spend this on if it is in dollars?

Posted: Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 11:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
dorados

Mana: 
It is $10,000 USD per month.  Anybody that lives in San Carlos on $2000.00 dollars per month has obviously never met my fishing partner Jose.  Our last day of fishing went something like this.  We went out on my boat, drank my beer, ate my food, burned my fuel, lost $100.00 worth of my tackle, and when we got to the dock Jose needed the fish to feed his family so I gave them to him.  And oh, by the way, I paid him $70.00 for helping me dock the boat.  As soon as I finish washing the boat, I think I'll slide on over to Rubys and save some money on that 10 peso beer.( Jose had to pick up his kid at school driving a car I gave him.)  I wonder when Jose is going to pay me back that $200.00 I loaned him because his son or daughter or sister or brother or cousin or grandparents were sick again and needed medicine.  Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining.  Just trying to figure things out. Es porque mi nombre es Pobre Juan. 

Current time is 09:32 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Cost of living Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems