San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Bus service between Tucson & SC  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 27th, 2006 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JGL

Mana: 
I have heard their is a service that runs several times daily between Tucson and SC for about $30USD.  However, I cannot find it.  I called a local one that goes to Guymas, which I thought was close, but the Bus Company said Guymas is 6 hours from SC.  Can anyone help me out here?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Mar 27th, 2006 08:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Dave

Mana: 
There are buses that run from Tucson to Guaymas.  San Carlos is 20 mins. from Guaymas.  It's only four hours from Nogales to San Carlos..  And a little over an hour Tucson to Nogales.  I Don't know where they got the six hours unless they ment from Tucson to Guaymas.

I recomend you use Tufsa Buses, they have a lot more leg room and are better kept.  Here is their webb site.  http://www.tufesa.com.mx.  

The buses are very safe, with Tufesa they are new buses.  These buses are better than the Greyhounds in the States.   And they show movies all the way.  The last time I took the bus from Phoenix I saw five movies.  It makes the time go fast.  It takes about six hours from Tucson.  The bus stops in Nogales, Sonora to clear Customs and then stops at the Nogales station for about 20 mins. and then it's off to Hermosillo where it stopes for about 20 mins. or so, and then off to Guaymas.  It's a very comfortable  ride.   You'll like it.  

Last edited on Mon Mar 27th, 2006 08:58 pm by Dave

Posted: Mon Mar 27th, 2006 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JGL

Mana: 
Do they have some sort of a service then from Guaymas to SC?  I have never been there so forgive me if I am asking stupid questions.

Posted: Mon Mar 27th, 2006 09:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dave

Mana: 
No problem with the questions.  If it is in daytime hours, 6am to 8:00 pm, you can take the local bus from Guaymas to San Carlos, $9.00 pesos per person.   However it's stop is about 5 blocks away fron Tufesa.  Or you can take a cab from Guaymas to San Carlos.  Cost is between $150.00 to $200.00 pesos, for up to five or six people.

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
I rode the Tufesa Bus from Tucson to Guaymas in January when I had to make a trip back home to check on things.  Very pleasant ride.  The staff at the station in Tucson is very helpful as well.  They were willing to keep my bags safe for a few hours while I killed time having Dinner at a nearby restaurant. 

One thing to note:  At the Tufesa Bus Station in Tucson they may not speak English (they didn't when I was there, which was not an issue, but just be prepared to use at least limited Spanish).

Clearing customs in Nogales can catch you off guard, because no one explains to you what is happening.  Everyone gets off the bus, grabs their luggage and winds through a luggage check.  No big deal.  It just makes you a bit concerned if you've brought expensive carry on luggage (like a laptop...I did).    I guess you could just carry off your carry on and run it through customs (I bet technically you are supposed to, but no one directs you to do so).

There are at least 4 bridal shops in the same strip mall (which is amusing) as the bus station, as well as a Scrap Booking store that is run by a very pleasant woman.  There is only vending machine gourmet at the bus station, so pack your own food.

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 02:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JZ

Mana: 
odwyerpw wrote: One thing to note:  At the Tufesa Bus Station in Tucson they may not speak English (they didn't when I was there, which was not an issue, but just be prepared to use at least limited Spanish).

Clearing customs in Nogales can catch you off guard, because no one explains to you what is happening.  Everyone gets off the bus, grabs their luggage and winds through a luggage check.  No big deal.  It just makes you a bit concerned if you've brought expensive carry on luggage (like a laptop...I did).    I guess you could just carry off your carry on and run it through customs (I bet technically you are supposed to, but no one directs you to do so).

I just rode the bus three weeks ago.  In Nogales, they just had us get ofd and looked at our documents.  They didn't inspect the luggage on this trip anyway.

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Carlos Atun

Mana: 
If you ride the bus from Tucson to Guaymas, where do you get a visa?  Does it stop at K21?  Thanks.

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dave

Mana: 
When the bus stops at the Border, so that you can clear the Aduana, at that time you tell the driver that you need a Visa and that you are going for one, thats so he doesn't leave you, in case they finish Customs before you return..  You get the Visa in the building that is right there where you are clearing customs.  I would go for the Visa first, then when you get back, you can go through Customs.  It' easy and fast as almost no one gets a Visa there.

The bus does not stop at KM 21, it goes stright through, so you have to get your Visa at the border.

Last edited on Tue Mar 28th, 2006 03:40 pm by Dave

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 05:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
JZ

Mana: 
JZ wrote: odwyerpw wrote: One thing to note:  At the Tufesa Bus Station in Tucson they may not speak English (they didn't when I was there, which was not an issue, but just be prepared to use at least limited Spanish).

I just rode the bus three weeks ago.  In Nogales, they just had us get ofd and looked at our documents.  They didn't inspect the luggage on this trip anyway.

Actually, I rode it from Guaymas to Phoenix, the opposite direction you did.  So, that would explain the difference.

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Dave wrote: tell the driver that you need a Visa and that you are going for one, thats so he doesn't leave you, in case they finish Customs before you return..
That would scare the crap out of me!  The apprenhension of being left behind, w/o your bags no less!

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Dave

Mana: 
There is no way they will leave you behind, that's just making sure,so that he knows where you are at.  Because if you just disappear, he would have to go hunting for you.  It's just commend courtesy.  Normally you have your Visa way before they finish customs.

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 09:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
JZ

Mana: 
I don't buy that.  They would take off w/o you in a second, not on purpose mind you.  But they have no way of knowing if 1 of 100 people are on board or not.

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Dave

Mana: 
The driver has a list of every seat that is occupied and knows how many people are on board.  With Tufesa you are assigned a seat and they have your name on the ticket, everthing is done by computer.  When I have been there the driver always takes a look to see if everyone is there.   The last time they stopped in Magdalena for a minute  one of the people got off to get something to eat.  The driver came back and looked to see if everyone was  there.  One missing, the driver got off and went looking for him.  Tufesa gives very good service.  It's not the same with the other lines.  I ride the bus a lot and that is not even close to being a problem.  Now with TBC I couldn't say that.  With TBC it could be possible.

Last edited on Tue Mar 28th, 2006 09:54 pm by Dave

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 10:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
hans

Mana: 
a little story
i went ones (2 years ago) with the bus from hermosillo to phoenix. the bus stoped at the border and i got my visa to enter the usa. they waited for me.
the trip went on , but after 15 minutes on the freeway the driver pulled to the side, counted  all the passenger and there where 2 persons missing. he got right back to nogales and there , on the borderline where the 2 persons.
now we got everybody on board and the trip went on to phoenix with a 30 minutes stop in tucson.
time of trip 9 hours.
saludos hans

Posted: Wed Mar 29th, 2006 12:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Hmmm... I don't know, I'm still a little skeptical.  I rode Tufesa.  It stopped a lot and I didn't really notice them doing a thorough look through to see if everyone got back on.  However, we didn't stop at k21 on this trip, but the Tufesa bus stations.  

But I'll take your word for it.

Last edited on Wed Mar 29th, 2006 12:32 am by JZ

Posted: Thu Mar 30th, 2006 03:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Timothy B.

Mana: 
Good morning all.

I must say that Tufesa is the only bus I will ride. They are comfortable and the most secure.

The other lines will stop for people at crossroads etc to get a little extra cash. The drivers get to keep the cash from these not ticketed riders. There have been accidents where they weren't sure if everyone was accounted for as there were more people at the accident point than were on the ticket sales sheet. This custom of picking up people is also dangerous. There has been more than one occasion when people boarded, robbed everyone, then got into an awaiting car.

Tufesa stops only at their stations.

Tim

Posted: Thu Mar 30th, 2006 04:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
LimeyLInda

Mana: 
Hi All.

We have never rode the bus Tufensa. However. our last trip to SC involved following a T. bus going south, it was travellng at way over 80MPH ( not KMH) we could not keep up, particularly on the bendy parts at the N. end of  I 15. Eventualy the police stopped the bus.  Going back N. 4 days later a similar experience, we could not keep up with a T. bus.  There is no way we would ride one of these buses!!!! They are dangerous.

Posted: Fri Mar 31st, 2006 02:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Timothy B.

Mana: 
You need a bigger engine. ;)

I think there accident record is good and I like getting there as fast as I could in my truck.

You are in Mexico. Sit back and enjoy the movie, and leave the driving to them.

:D

Tim

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2007 12:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
resortgirl

Mana: 
Do you know if Tufesa stops in Hermosilla? We would like to fly there and then get transportation to San Carlos. Or is it better to hire a car?

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2007 02:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
beegees2

Mana: 
I would like to comment about the very convenient and pleasant option of flying into Guaymas from Phoenix on US air (I believe) for about $500 return.  The more the service is used, the more the price will decrease.  There were empty seats both times I took the flights.  

Current time is 11:16 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Bus service between Tucson & SC Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems