San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Trump Looking to Block Potentially Infected Americans at Mexican Border

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Trump Looking to Block Potentially Infected Americans at Mexican Border  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 01:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
Given the relevance and importance of this to all the Americans in San Carlos, I felt it deserved its own thread rather than to be buried on page 34 of the Coronavirus thread.  Best if only comments related to this story and not COVID in general posted here.  Bart, if you feel it should be moved to the other thread, please do so.

White House looks at plan to keep out citizens and legal residents over virus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-looks-at-plan-to-keep-out-citizens-and-legal-residents-over-virus/2020/08/10/d8233910-db0c-11ea-b205-ff838e15a9a6_story.html

Last edited on Tue Aug 11th, 2020 02:08 am by TrueBlue

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 03:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Looks to me to be a great idea. I don't want my kids and grandkids getting Mexican Covid. They have enough trouble staying safe as it is. What's your issue?

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 12:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
frankiej

Mana: 
southern California, Arizona, Texas are the covid hot spots currently on the USA border, and in the USA. 
* the border was closed to non essential travel months ago and remained an open sieve for travel. it's been a complete failure and a joke to those of us living here.
* the travel ban from China on the onset of the pandemic allowed over 400,000 travelers to enter. most where not quarantined.
* the travel ban from Europe which created most of the infection in the USA, starting in New York was a failure. because of panicked citizens returning home without being properly quarantined. 
* the hospitals in Southern California, Arizona, Texas are at capacity or past.
* the hospitals NOB do allow if possible, for better treatment, only because they are not yet triaging patients.
* the hospitals in Sonora are at or past capacity.

not allowing citizens or green card holders to return to USA soil because they are suspected of the virus, would be difficult if not impossible to enforce!

many of the residents here in San Carlos and Sonora and Mexico are retired living on our Social Security and Medicare benefits.
 if one was infected and desperately trying to reach a "Medicare" provider in the USA for treatment, once crossing the border you are on USA soil, you have your undeniable constitutional rights! sending you back would be act of "deportation" and probably require a court proceeding to legally do so.

so this contemplated action is only typical of the actions of this administration over the last 3 a 1/2 years. 
take it with a grain of salt and wait for tomorrows debacle and distraction.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 01:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
here is an idea to slow the virus, how about we quarantine Sturgis , South Dakota not allowing anyone whose currently there to leave for 15 days.

Attached Image (viewed 542 times):

20200811_055327.jpg

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 01:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
This is important but I will not allow it to become a political football. Resist the temptation to use it as such or it will be gone.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 01:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
My thoughts, both the U.S. and Mexico should have stuck to, and closed the border both ways, as they originally agreed to. This was never enforced by either side. Too many loop-holes in the mandate.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
johnmoore wrote: My thoughts, both the U.S. and Mexico should have stuck to, and closed the border both ways, as they originally agreed to. This was never enforced by either side. Too many loop-holes in the mandate.you are absolutely correct! but it didn't happen and we are now living and coping with it!
this could have all been behind us if both countries, had adhered to the ban, by strict enforcement.

now we have to contend with packed beaches and bars here in San Carlos and Sonora and in the USA possible super spreader events are allowed.

it's all about the $$$$$$ or pesos here, the treasury coffers need their taxes or IVA to function.

the majority of us are only pawns in this destructive and convoluted attempt at policy.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 02:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
Hospitals in So Cal are not at or over capacity. I don't know about the other states mentioned.

The pandemic is already out of control in the US. The denial of entry to US Citizens who may have contracted COVID while living in Mexico seems like punishment for choice of country to live in. We aren't blocking entry of US Citizens from any other country where the virus is considered out of control. To me US citizens living in Mexico seeking superior medical treatment in the US covered by Medicare seems entirely reasonable, and no more risky than someone who contracted COVID in the US driving themselves to the hospital.

Last edited on Tue Aug 11th, 2020 02:48 pm by TrueBlue

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
TrueBlue wrote: Hospitals in So Cal are not at or over capacity. I don't know about the other states mentioned.
you would know better than i as you live there. i was only going on past report's which are now a month old. Arizona was transferring covid patients to s. cal.
Swamped SoCal hospitals transferring COVID-19 patients to Bay Area facilities

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 04:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I take exception to that article's claim that "hundreds of thousands of US citizens and permanent residents cross the border each day". This story is about crossings in ONE DIRECTION; into the US.

That might have been the case before the border restrictions, even as lightly as they have been enforced, but I highly doubt that's the case now. It's probable that it is dramatically lower. But the author is trying to add a little more drama to the story, IMO.

It never ceases to amaze me how hypocritical organizations like the Washington Post and NY Times (where the news first surfaced about this potential closure) can be on this virus issue. They are constantly pushing for more closures, more clampdowns, more doom and gloom with respect to the virus. Then, when the current administration proposes a plan that would do this (which I disagree with, BTW) they figure out a way to paint it in another disparaging light. They simply refuse to agree with anything the current administration does.......even if disagreeing goes 180 degrees to their previous positions.

Some statistics to remember in the US that you rarely find in the vast majority of news media outlets. This is from Worldometer.info.

-Of all the "closed cases" so far (persons who recovered vs persons who died), 94% of confirmed infections have recovered. That number is steadily increasing, and has been for months. Remember in April when we were talking 60/40?

-Of all the CURRENT (not closed) cases, only around 1% are in the serious or critical category. 99% of all who are confirmed to have it RIGHT NOW, are deemed to be mild cases. Some could move into the more serious category, for sure. But there are also many new cases that don't ever enter the serious category. That 99/1 ratio has remained constant for more about a month, now.

-The median age of all deaths in the US is 78 years old. 80% of all deaths have occurred in persons 65 years and older.

-Unfortunately, there hasnt been standardized reporting of pre-existing conditions that can often lead to hospitalization or death from the infection. These include respiratory, heart and other ailments of internal organs, mostly. But, based on the limited reporting of pre-existing conditions among persons infected with the virus, somewhere between 60-90% of the persons hospitalized from the virus had pre-existing conditions that probably led to hospitalization.

Still, the simple acts of wearing a mask in public, washing your hands frequently and detering large public gatherings, makes complete sense.

But preventing the rights of a citizenry from returning to their country of birth? I am not for that. Require them to quarantine or something, but not wholesale restrictions. There are so many cases where the testing has been proven to be badly flawed in both directions, anyway; false positive and false negative.

The ICU beds are supposedly full in most of Mexico. That is not the case in virtually all of the US, where many of these citizens have valid health insurance policies. I also take exception with someone's claim that hospitals are full in those states mentioned.

This might be the single best link to virus data in the US. It is from the CDC. Since the significant re-emergence of the virus after many states began lifting their stay-at-home orders, many categories related to the virus have gone down for the last four weeks. Number of infections, number of deaths. Hospitalizations remained statistically flat at around 1.2-2.9 per cent for all influenza-like symptoms. Lots of good info in this link.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Every day the news changes as to how the covid is doing in the border states. Tucson hospitals now have beds, where a couple of weeks ago, they didn't.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 04:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
390pony

Mana: 
Pima County and Tucson never were hit hard by this. Phoenix and the Navajo Reservation have been.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 05:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
the treatments have improved thus changing the first ratios. this was because of on the job experiences by medical personal on the front lines.

over 160,000 deaths and about a 1000 a day for about a month is unacceptable.

ICU bed availability also so changes daily weekly and monthly in the areas of the states mention .
Arizona health department changes hospital bed availability reporting

Texas Hospital Says 100% Of ICU Beds Full—Then Removes Its Report

Riverside County's ICU beds are 99% occupied. Hospitals moving into surge plan

Coronavirus: California shatters another record for daily cases

when is the next holiday to predict the next spike?

as i said, once you cross the border line onto the USA, a USA citizen is on USA soil, good luck legally deporting them back to Mexico.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 05:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
390pony

Mana: 
That death rate also is inflated.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 06:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
The article is from the political section of the Washington Post. It is a non starter and is written to further the division of opposing points of view. Hence Bart's warning. That is if we are on the same topic as the original post.

Last edited on Tue Aug 11th, 2020 06:33 pm by jsprag

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Ruso

Mana: 
390pony wrote: That death rate also is inflated.Yes. People die of natural causes as usual and happen to have COVID-19. Then guess how they report cause of death?

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 07:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Geez, Frankie, couldnt you find any stories that supported your viewpoint that are more recent than six weeks old?????

There's even juicier ones from April and May, if you look!!! :shock:

A lot has changed since late June, amigo. Your links are ancient history with conditions moving as fast as they are.

Clearly, the institution of social distancing methods has begun to work over the last 3-4 weeks.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 07:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
In an attempt to refocus this thread.....my main point in posting was to alert people to this possibility. Relevant discussions would best be limited to the *possibly* pending proposal from the White House of keeping American citizens from crossing the border from Mexico into the US. The rest of it has already been extensively discussed and rehashed in the main Coronavirus thread.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 07:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
marlin master

Mana: 
How about the restrictions going South ? Are there any ? Can we still get a six month Tourist Visa ? It’s getting close to the time when Winter Snow Birds start to think about returning to San Carlos. 

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 07:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
frankiej wrote:ICU bed availability also so changes daily weekly and monthly in the areas of the states mention .
as i said, once you cross the border line onto the USA, a USA citizen is on USA soil, good luck legally deporting them back to Mexico
Hook , i clearly stated that!
 i also went back to the theme of the thread.

Current time is 07:38 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Trump Looking to Block Potentially Infected Americans at Mexican Border Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems