San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New CI Banco ATM Fee  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2020 07:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
390pony

Mana: 
I also have withdrawn $6000 pesos at Santovalle with my US Bank debit card.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2020 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
guzzi

Mana: 
Ok when to CIBanko today don't see what you are talking about.

Attached Image (viewed 292 times):

IMG_20200627_141809417.jpg

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2020 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
Scmateo

Mana: 
Where you see it is in the exchange rate.  Today's rate has been trending from 22.8 to slightly over 23.  5.5% of 22.8 equals 1.254.  22.8 - 1.254 = 21.546  You received 21.586.  So they dinged you the 5.5%, it just doesn't show on your receipt.

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2020 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
guzzi

Mana: 
You never get the rate it is always less it tells you what rate it is going to give you. You also said it was on our receipt. Nothing has change for us.

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2020 11:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
Today's published rate is $23.05 per 1 USD.

Guzzi you exchanged @ $21.58 to 1 USD. That is $1.47 USD less per 1 USD published rate. Percentage-wise that is approximately 6.5% less than the published rate. I did not bother including the 17 odd peso ATM charge

Heretofore, CIBANCO ATM users were exchanging at about .30 below the published rate. 
(At least we were) So your $278.75 USD bought 326 less pesos than it did approximately a week ago. 
That's a lot of cerveza!

Last edited on Sat Jun 27th, 2020 11:55 pm by jsprag

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2020 11:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
jsprag, yeah I did "mention" the exchange rate. I got the "FX exchange rate" in effect at that moment. If you don't know what that is, you can Google it. Angel, thanks for correcting me on the max amount at Santovalle. I was going by what the Santovalle employee told me and I assumed he knew. When ten thousand didn't go through, I asked him what was the maximum.

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2020 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
I'm not suggesting you change. Moreover, just saying there was change. After all, look at the bright side. You won't be encountering long lines at CIBANCO'S ATM

Last edited on Sun Jun 28th, 2020 12:04 am by jsprag

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2020 03:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
The buy rate floats during the day. If you give them a check, that will not settle on the exchange rate untill after 1 pm our time, or around 4 pm in NYC. At that time the bank will give you the settled rate.

If you go to a machine, you are not waiting for cash, and the bank is going to hedge or protect itself so that it doesn't lose dough when they post at the settled rate.

Todays buy rate stettled at 22.38 according to Banamex, but again, that is for large amounts of cash, for preferred customers that ask and negociate for the best rate over the phone in Mexico City to get a confirmed rate that they authorize the teller to give you.

It is not the best rate you can get.

Dividing the 6000 given by the $278.75 spent, including the tax on the transaction fee= 21.52 , which is 3.84% worse than the best possible rate that they made off the post.

When the settled rate changes, their profit % also changes.

I don't doubt that they have made some changes, but I believe that more information on the receipt is them being forced to be more transparent.

If you want the best rate, find a Monex, but you will have to negociate there too, imo.

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2020 01:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
The original post was about CIBANCO now placing a 5.5% charge on currency exchanges via ATM transactions. That is consistent with our experience.

I want to apologize to the original poster for engaging in several off-topic discussions.

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2020 05:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
50th Post
SBT

Mana: 
This video explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=rGUE3QIYHcY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR24_e7zorGsghIEc9ersIa-p412J7N3qYmsUZNUi6EmKUTzw20NCTR-f9A

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2020 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
51st Post
jsprag

Mana: 
It explains it very well. I have not tried declining the conversion but post #30 said they did and were unable to complete the transaction. I will try it and let you know.

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2020 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
52nd Post
emc2

Mana: 
I was trying to upload my receipt from Tuesday that says "Markup 5.5%" on the line below the exchange rate. The file size is too big and I don't know how to shrink it.

Looks like CI Banco revised the receipts since Tuesday.

Last edited on Sun Jun 28th, 2020 08:25 pm by emc2

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2020 08:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
53rd Post
emc2

Mana: 

Attached Image (viewed 234 times):

IMG_20200628_131310.jpg

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2020 09:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
54th Post
guzzi

Mana: 
EMC2 is your visa a credit card or debit??

Last edited on Sun Jun 28th, 2020 09:48 pm by guzzi

Posted: Sun Jun 28th, 2020 10:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
55th Post
emc2

Mana: 
Guzzi, It is a Visa debit card

Posted: Mon Jun 29th, 2020 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
56th Post
guzzi

Mana: 
EMC2 Ok that what I use but mine is a MasterCard (capital one) with no charges and receipt does not say that.

Last edited on Mon Jun 29th, 2020 12:05 am by guzzi

Posted: Mon Jun 29th, 2020 01:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
57th Post
Hook

Mana: 
guzzi wrote: EMC2 Ok that what I use but mine is a MasterCard (capital one) with no charges and receipt does not say that.

It is unlikely that CI Banco knows that your card is a Cap One card and knows that it should not charge the 5.5%, because it is.

I'd say CI Banco wised up and decided not to itemize the charge and just stuck it in the exchange rate. 

The marketing department got involved. ;)

Last edited on Mon Jun 29th, 2020 01:52 am by Hook

Posted: Mon Jun 29th, 2020 04:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
58th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Look at post #50, a really worthwhile couple of minutes.

Posted: Mon Jun 29th, 2020 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
59th Post
Beachgirl

Mana: 
17.40 is Pesos which is about eighty cents, not $17USD. Your not doing the math correct. 
Visa determines the exchange rate from your ATM card.  After you get your money, go to your bank account, do the math. I withdrew last week, 10,000P, it cost nothing with Capital One

As far as writing a check inside, they are taking a lot, that is how they make their money, they are a fancy money exchange. We bought a car, wrote the US check, they charged a hefty fee.

Posted: Mon Jun 29th, 2020 03:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
60th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
Beachgirl check your exchange rate. The exchange rate is less if you don't opt-out of CIBANCO handling the exchange.

What we're discussing is the ability of CIBANCO to control the rate versus your bank at their ATM.

I haven't verified this but it is probably similar to the rate posted on the window when you don't decline their conversion.

I suggest everyone go to post #50 follow the link therein it explains it much better than I can.

Last edited on Mon Jun 29th, 2020 03:26 pm by jsprag

Current time is 08:18 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > New CI Banco ATM Fee Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems