San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > TelMex service on hold for the summer

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
TelMex service on hold for the summer  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 02:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 

Since the San Carlos TelMex office has closed, I can’t ask them.
And I am a full-timer, so I’ve never stopped service.  
But a new snowbird friend needs guidance if anyone here can help.
Does anyone know what the process is for a snowbird to put their TelMex phone and internet service on hold for the summer?
Does the customer keep the modem, and are payments are suspended until the fall when service is resumed?

Any advice or input is appreciated.  Thanks.

Last edited on Thu May 28th, 2020 02:04 am by MARIGOT

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 02:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
The last I knew, you can rest your internet but must keep up with land line payments which is about one half. If you don't pay a few months of phone, there was over a 200 US dollar hook up fee to re instate. It only took one to two days to electronically turn your internet back on when you returned and paid. That may have changed as we are full timers and haven't done it for years. Ron

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 02:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Thank you.  That’s just the kind of information I needed.

Do you know if the customer keeps the router/modem, or do they turn it in?

Last edited on Thu May 28th, 2020 02:26 am by MARIGOT

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 05:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ttaz

Mana: 
Is it closed for good or is there a place in Guaymas you can pay? Thanks in advance. 

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 12:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
We kept our modem but I don't know if that has changed either. I think your modem is very specific to you. Our bill was always about 20 dollars as opposed to 40 dollars per month when putting internet on vacation.Ron

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 12:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
stephenjay

Mana: 
In the past I paid my bill monthly at the SC office, now how do I pay my bill, thanks.

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 12:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Thanks Wy Ynot, for your very helpful information to my inquiry.  I hope the people at the Guaymas office are familiar with the snowbird summer vacation routine and it goes well for my newby friend.

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 01:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
I might add that we paid our bill about a week ago. The door was locked and no one was parked out front. I turned around to leave when a cleaning lady unlocked the door and let a gent out and said pasele. I went in and paid and upon leaving read the sign on the door and it more or less said one patron at a time with mask. I do not know if that's still the case or they are closed. The door to pay with the machine has been locked for several months. Ron

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 

Yes, last time I paid, the office personnel was admitting only one masked person at a time.

As of yesterday, the signs on the door (Spanish & English), say the office is closed until Covid 19 is over.  It advises to pay using their online services or go to the Guaymas office, and gives the address for the Guaymas office.

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2020 07:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
CherryBlossom

Mana: 
We are only allowed to put the service on hold for up to 3 months and we get about half of the monthly cost off during those 3 months.  Just before the 3  months is up it is imperative that we return to the office to get the full service reinstated or we get a huge bill for not doing so.  It's so little money saved that it is better to just keep the full service going in my opinion. 

Posted: Fri May 29th, 2020 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
SharkBite

Mana: 
Our friends put their service on "vacation mode" every year for 6 months.  The bill is $180 pesos per month.  They keep the modem.  You used to have to turn it in, but now they ask you to keep it.  Call the 800 number on your bill, ask for a person that speaks English. 
"Hay una persona que habla ingles, por favor?

Posted: Fri May 29th, 2020 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Wow, that's cool. Though I'm not sure I would take advantage of it. It cost $399mxn to keep it up, so the savings of ~ $11usd, not sure it's worth it. However, everyone has different circumstances and realities.

When we go away, we  give out the WiFi password (not the modem admin password) and let everyone use it...When we return, we change the password and kindly explain to everyone that it is absolutely necessary to have exclusive internet for privacy concerns related to my work (which is the absolute truth). Regardless, pretty cool to keep a whole neighborhood happy all summer for a difference of $11 a month.

We always have people checking on the home (often staying there) and the internet was just another bonus. 

Probably changed now though. Internet is more or less ubiquitous in all homes or celular plans now. 

Last edited on Fri May 29th, 2020 02:42 am by odwyerpw

Posted: Fri May 29th, 2020 03:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Pay for it, keep it simple. Easy for everyone to understand. When you come back, you have your service, without fighting to get it back on.

Posted: Fri May 29th, 2020 10:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
lasninas

Mana: 
You can pay your Telmex bill at oxxo. Just did it. Also, agree to just leave your service on. The savings is not worth the hassle of waiting to get it rebooted when you get back. I have friends that waited almost a week to get it going again when they returned. Agree...keep it simple.

Posted: Fri May 29th, 2020 10:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Thank you for all the replies and input. 👍

Posted: Fri May 29th, 2020 10:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Oops!  Hate that accidental second click!

Last edited on Fri May 29th, 2020 10:41 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Fri May 29th, 2020 11:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Scmateo

Mana: 
When paying at OXXO, do you know if you can pay multiple months in advance?

Thanks.......

Posted: Sat May 30th, 2020 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
lasninas

Mana: 
I do not know, but if you overpay your bill it would show up as a credit I would imagine.  But, again no first hand knowledge. 

Current time is 06:35 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > TelMex service on hold for the summer Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems