San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Selling house  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Nov 10th, 2019 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
jsprag

Mana: 
Crime, domestic water, refuse pick up, road maintenance etc are all factors that enter into a persons decision to make Mexico their primary or secondary home . If a person is not willing to accept the previous statement, price is irrelevant.

These topics have been the object of discussion for the 12 yrs I have lived here. Still San Carlos carries on and new families continue make San Carlos their home.

Strangely, I read few reports on these boards of whats right with San Carlos and why we are here. For example, most recently the much improved Hwy from Nogales and the HMO bypass. Conversely we seem to dwell hysterically on its short comings and lament for the good old days. I for one do not understand the benefit in this, yet I keep reading them just the same. Perhaps that's a sign I am just getting old.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Nov 10th, 2019 07:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
kiteboarder wrote: Bullshipper wrote: I believe that the increased amount of crime reporting on the English speaking forums and newspapers will hurt the homeowners selling prospects in San Carlos for quite sometime.

So, it isn't the increased crime, it's the increased reporting of crime. 

Got it!

Obviously there is more crime. But there is not one Spanish speaking forum here in SC that I know of, so I think the US news, combined with constant barrage of social media and forum stories about it effect the English speaking retirees more than the Mexican buyers that have fewer options as to where they can settle and what they can afford. And I think Mexicans are better equipped to enjoy themselves in Mexico than most Anglos.

Got it?

Posted: Mon Nov 11th, 2019 08:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
Bullshipper, the number of readers of the two English forums pales in comparison to the number of Spanish speaking people that read the newspapers and listen to the constant barrage on the radio stations. The people that I know also share news through WhatsApp and Facebook more than we do. They are well aware of the problems. But, you are right that they have fewer options. And, I believe that Mexicans are better at enjoying themselves, period.

Oh yeah, I got it.

Posted: Mon Nov 11th, 2019 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
maryt

Mana: 
Doesn´t it seem like middle or upper class Mexicans buying homes here are often buying 2nd homes and often come from Ciudad Obregón or Hermosillo. Both those cities have more problems with violence than we do.

Posted: Tue Nov 12th, 2019 12:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
maryt wrote: Doesn´t it seem like middle or upper class Mexicans buying homes here are often buying 2nd homes and often come from Ciudad Obregón or Hermosillo. Both those cities have more problems with violence than we do.

??

Boy, I would say that the the serious crime is much worse now in Guaymas and Empalme than its ever been in Hermosillo or Obregon in total number of incidents and crimes per capita. I lived in Hermosillo for 18 years in the late 70-90's and spend most of my weekends there now with family.

I hear very little nervous chatter from my Mexican friends and politicians, and I really believe that fear is still not a significant factor for Mexican home buyers.

But every american I speak to in the states they immediately bring up how I am constant danger and nuts to be here, and this has been the case since the late 80's. 

Pena Nieto and Televisa had a vigorous campain to squelch most of the crime stories during his sixenio, but the US press will run ongoing stories for weeks about the same incident.

But AMLO has backed off the strategy of keying on cartel bosses, and they are freer to roam and destroy than ever before. And releasing all the prisoners recently from jail is not being equated with more crime, but I personally think its directly related.

Posted: Tue Nov 12th, 2019 12:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
kiteboarder wrote: Bullshipper, the number of readers of the two English forums pales in comparison to the number of Spanish speaking people that read the newspapers and listen to the constant barrage on the radio stations. The people that I know also share news through WhatsApp and Facebook more than we do. They are well aware of the problems. But, you are right that they have fewer options. And, I believe that Mexicans are better at enjoying themselves, period.

Oh yeah, I got it.

I think the US press is filled with crime stories about Mexico Don. Then when they come here to rent and look around, the see attractive prices, nice folks, but read the English forums and socail media too. They they go back to the states to mull over their buying options and everyone their says why put yourself in danger, because they read its so bad around here.

You live here, so tell me, are you afraid for your life and property, even now, when its really out of control? Me? I personally trust looking out my window to see if its going to rain over a forecast published in Boulder Colorado.

Posted: Tue Nov 12th, 2019 01:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
frankie

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote;

You live here, so tell me, are you afraid for your life and property, even now, when its really out of control? Me? 

for me, i am a lot more wary of my surroundings!
 i saw the bodies up close shot on beltrones across from the pemex, a few years back. i saw the taco lady right after she was shot! i drove into the code red when the cops where shot! ya that makes you think!!!!
this is HOME, and as i stated, there really isn't a MARKET in the price range my house would be in, so i can't just bail out!
i haven't had any groups of dove hunters, wanting to go hunting! so fear could be a contributing factor!
at 67, i figure i lived a good life, if it's my time, it's my time!

Last edited on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 01:42 am by frankie

Posted: Tue Nov 12th, 2019 01:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
#27 weary or wary?

Posted: Tue Nov 12th, 2019 01:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
frankie

Mana: 
oops! corrected

do i regret these 18 years here in San Carlos?? NOOOOO!!!
it has been a great time in my life!
i am sorry to see what it has evolved into, but young enough to have hope for change!!

Last edited on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 01:48 am by frankie

Posted: Tue Nov 12th, 2019 04:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
The Mormon incident (for lack of a better description) is still getting HUGE daily coverage in the US.  As I type this, I'm watching a story on it on Good Morning America.  The family is (understandably) talking about how much the security situation has deteriorated.  It's on every network.  The timing of this incident after the Culiacan incident has made the coverage overwhelming.

Americans' fear of Mexico travel has been present for at least a decade.  That's when comments from friends about our safety in Mexico and their refusal/reluctance to join us as a result became pretty consistent and also when we noticed our short-term vacation rentals at our house start to drop.  The short-term rentals completely dried up 5 years ago.  I really don't think comments on forums have any impact whatsoever.  It's how the situation is portrayed in the news north of the border, and especially the non-stop "Mexico is evil and full of violent cartels/people" coverage on Fox News and from Trump which targets the same demographic who are the non-Mexican homebuyers in San Carlos (older white retirees or near-retirees).

The rapidly escalating violence in Guaymas, Empalme and (now) to a lesser extent Obregon is probably not on the radar of most potential buyers.  A simple search of "am I safe in San Carlos", which is the exact wording I think most San Carlos buyers would use, isn't overly concerning.  However, a search of "am I safe in Guaymas", which is the second search I think most San Carlos buyers would do, turns up more concerning things, but still doesn't accurately portray just how bad it is in Guaymas and Empalme.

San Carlos with its large ex-pat population is still an island of relative safety, likely as a result of cartels not wanting American media attention, which brings increased government enforcement.  But the incident in Culiacan followed quickly by the Mormon incident and a lack of effective government intervention is a game changer which will likely only serve to embolden the cartels.  The informal "don't harm Americans" policy seems to have changed, and that's going to affect things far more than anything else which has happened in the past.

So while I strongly feel that San Carlos is currently safe for Americans/Canadians as long as you are relatively sober, don't screw anybody over in a financial transaction and you're not involved in buying or selling drugs, nobody has a crystal ball as to what the future holds.  The security situation in the entire country is rapidly deteriorating, just not too much in San Carlos.  We recently had a conversation with a Mexican Mexico City resident who told us we should not visit Mexico City right now due to the crime levels, and that his father sent him to the US due to fears of kidnapping.  It's crime throughout Mexico that has Americans concerned and will kill the market for American homebuyers.  Home sales and prices in San Carlos (yeah, I still keep track) seem to be at about the same level as they have been for years as Mexican buyers make up for the loss of non-Mexican buyers.

The bottom line is that fears of the bottom dropping out of the San Carlos real estate market due to the loss of American buyers aren't very realistic as there are more Mexican buyers out there.  I would only start to worry if the Mexican/global economy went into the toilet.

Last edited on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 04:20 pm by TrueBlue

Posted: Tue Nov 12th, 2019 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
frankie

Mana: 
TrueBlue wrote:
Americans' fear of Mexico travel has been present for at least a decade.  That's when comments from friends about our safety in Mexico and their refusal/reluctance to join us as a result became pretty consistent and also when we noticed our short-term vacation rentals at our house start to drop.  The short-term rentals completely dried up 5 years ago.  I really don't think comments on forums have any impact whatsoever.  It's how the situation is portrayed in the news north of the border, and especially the non-stop "Mexico is evil and full of violent cartels/people" coverage on Fox News and from Trump which targets the same demographic who are the non-Mexican homebuyers in San Carlos (older white retirees or near-retirees).

nobody has a crystal ball as to what the future holds.  The security situation in the entire country is rapidly deteriorating, just not too much in San Carlos.  

The bottom line is that fears of the bottom dropping out of the San Carlos real estate market due to the loss of American buyers aren't very realistic as there are more Mexican buyers out there.  I would only start to worry if the Mexican/global economy went into the toilet.
trueblue, this was well written!
i don't think anybody has expressed or feels "the bottom dropping out of the San Carlos real estate"! most savvy investors are aware of ebbs and flows, peaks and valleys! 

i have stated that the demographics have noticeably change over the last 4 years! 
the predominate buyers are Mexican citizens! MOST coming from Hermosillo and Obregon! these new buyers are basically the same as the old NOB buyers, THEY ARE USUALLY for 2nd/vacation homes!

there was a post on an other thread, stating high percentage of the massive growth in Hermosillo comes from cartel money! the assumption could also be made here!

Last edited on Tue Nov 12th, 2019 05:21 pm by frankie

Posted: Tue Nov 12th, 2019 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
As long as my kiteboarding beach stays open and the wind blows, I'm content. I live in San Carlos, not Guaymas proper or Empalme. Most of the Mexicans that are looking to escape the violence in their cities are also looking to buy in San Carlos, not Guaymas nor Empalme.

My best friend lives in Ciudad Obregon and he is about to move with his wife and four children to San Carlos, primarily to be in a safer place.

What better option does he have?

Posted: Wed Nov 13th, 2019 01:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
The announcement came out that Mexico is now in a recession.

Posted: Wed Nov 13th, 2019 02:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
RichD

Mana: 
This thread was about what the market is like. I think this winter season will tell if there is a difference in visitors. It seems like new buyers are developed after spending a few winters here. My observation without facts is that Mexican citizens are buying ocean front and properties on the Algodones side more than nicer homes in the Ranchitos. In any market, over priced homes do not sell. In this market I think you have to price a home below replacement cost unless the location is special.

Posted: Wed Nov 13th, 2019 03:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
frankie

Mana: 
RichD wrote: This thread was about what the market is like. I think this winter season will tell if there is a difference in visitors. It seems like new buyers are developed after spending a few winters here. My observation without facts is that Mexican citizens are buying ocean front and properties on the Algodones side more than nicer homes in the Ranchitos. In any market, over priced homes do not sell. In this market I think you have to price a home below replacement cost unless the location is special.rich, there are at least 2 of us who believe what you just posted! 
a majority of all the new start homes are occurring where you described! subdivisions which have been here for about 20 years are filling their remaining lots with new homes, primarily with Mexican buyers!
the existing developers and new ones are finishing the infrastructure for completely new subdivisions! these where all contemplated and started only a few years back.

what the market will be finishing this year, is certain. what it will be for the coming years will only be speculation! what is profoundly evident is the Mexican buyer is the strongest prospect!

* there is still our biggest unresolved problem of water!
* our electrical substation is probably not up to the task of all these new homes
* west of the Bajia all the sewage is on private systems
* bullshipper is indicating Mexico is in recession, googling it only verifies his post!

Attached Image (viewed 294 times):

substation.jpg

Posted: Wed Nov 13th, 2019 03:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
I just got a reliable quote on a new 2 BD 2BA house - us$70/sf

Posted: Wed Nov 13th, 2019 11:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
emc2

Mana: 
When we bought our house through a local RE firm, we wired the money straight to the US sellers bank account and at the same time he signed the closing documents and we were given the keys. This felt safe for both sides.

How would that transaction go if selling to a Mexican? Would proceeds be in pesos and transferred only into a local bank account? Or would their bank convert the funds to US dollars to wire to sellers account. And do you feel using a real estate company focused on Mexican clients would be as safe?

Selling in pesos is intriguing IF you bought your property when the dollar was high and sold at an appreciably lower exchange rate. I did this in another country not even realizing the enormous benefit until it was time to exchange the house sale proceeds to US dollars.

Posted: Thu Nov 14th, 2019 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
frankie

Mana: 
emc2 wrote:
Selling in pesos is intriguing IF you bought your property when the dollar was high and sold at an appreciably lower exchange rate. I did this in another country not even realizing the enormous benefit until it was time to exchange the house sale proceeds to US dollars.
it has been the custom to list and sell properties in dollars! i assume because of the stability of the dollar opposed to the constant fluctuation of the peso!
the system has it's plus and minuses!
example;
 $100,000. usd in the early 2000's was 10/1, $100,000. usd X 10 = 1,000,000. pesos.
today $100,000. usd X 19 = 1,900,000 pesos
if you paid $100,000. usd and it was recorded as 1,000,000 pesos and sold your property for the same amount today at $100,000. or 1,900,000. pesos it looks like you made a gain of 900,000. pesos!
the savvy notarios have charts to help!

i would never buy or sell in pesos, the conversion can be left at the time of the sale to the notarios, for recording purposes!

i have paid and been paid in my real estate transactions almost every way, bank transfers, cashiers checks, personal checks, American title companies, ALL IN USD!

MANY BUYERS AND SELLERS DO NOT REALIZE THAT THE USE OF AN AMERICAN TITLE COMPANY CAN BE USED HERE, FOR THE EARNEST MONIES, AND FINAL DEPOSITS!
IT IS THE SAFEST AND MOST SECURE WAY!

Last edited on Thu Nov 14th, 2019 03:32 pm by bartmanaz

Posted: Thu Nov 14th, 2019 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
$70 sq/ft. Location? How much for the lot?

Posted: Thu Nov 14th, 2019 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
frankie

Mana: 
will rogers wrote: $70 sq/ft. Location? How much for the lot?

GREAT POINT!! square foot price is as ambiguous as going to a restaurant and asking what's for dinner!

apples with apples, oranges with oranges!

Current time is 06:55 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Selling house Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems